Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: You Can't Die: Space Shinanigans THE END  (Read 19691 times)

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Can't Die: Space Shinanigans (suggestion game)
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2016, 06:03:09 pm »

Guys, guys, hold up.

Earlier they said that this station is more armed than the Lexington itself, right?..

We're in space..
What if..
What if we capture the station, use windows washing ship/frigates/whatever as thrusters and take the station with us to Earth's defense? along with an army of janitors, mechanics, cooks and all sort of people who runs the station but aren't soldiers?
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2016, 06:52:02 pm »

The station was big enough to hold the dreadnaught in it's hangar. It would be way to heavy to move anywhere quick enough.

Maybe we could lure the ship to it though?

Wait, earlier, the hangar cut off the engine bays of a battleship, maybe if the mechanics jury-rig those to the station and all the ships fire, it could be done maybe.

This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2016, 07:03:02 pm »

Let's do it.

Let's jury rig engine bays of battleships onto the station and hurtle it through space to help protect Earth from Space Russians.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2016, 09:16:17 pm »

Let's do it.

Let's jury rig engine bays of battleships onto the station and hurtle it through space to help protect Earth from Space Russians.
+1
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2016, 09:45:40 pm »

You think for a long while, then come up with a plan. "We need to find enough firepower to take down that dreadnaught, but we also need it to be fast. This station has enough punch to fight it, but first we need to get it there. Find everybody left on this station, and assemble them in the mess hall. We need to discuss our battle strategy." After about 30 minutes, everybody was gathered in the mess hall. There was your janitor army, about half as many mechanics, several cooks, and 2 civilian pilots. Everybody grew quiet as you stood to discuss with them. "The Russians have launched a powerful fleet with the intent to attack earth and usurp the Earth Union. They have one ship in particular, the RFSS Borislav, which is most likely powerful enough to take out the Earth Union's few defense stations. However, that is not all. They also have two battleships. Our assets are: The USSS Lexington, a damaged battleship that could maybe take out one of the battleships in a fair fight, and anything and everything on this space station. This station in and of itself is the only thing capable of holding its own against the Borislav, but we would need to get it to earth, and fast. If we take every ship and push, could it be done?"

One of the mechanics speaks up, "Impossible. Even with every ship pushing, we would accelerate slower than the ships, so we would arrive after them." You speak again. "I saw that a destroyed battleship had it's engine bays cut off. Would it be possible to hook it up to the station's reactor and use them as well?" The mechanic speaks again. "I'll have to see them up close to judge that, but even so, those engines were designed to push a battleship, this station weighs much, much more than a battleship..." Another mechanic interrupts him, "What if we forget the deceleration, and just do a flyby? We deorbit ourselves from the Oort cloud, and the sun's gravity will pull us straight into an encounter with the earth, where we sling by at a ludicrous speed, take as many shots as we can, then fly back out again? That would get us there faster at the cost of a short engagement time." All the other engineers agreed that this was the best course of action. You say one last thing, "I know I am asking a lot of you. If there is anybody that doesn't want to..." But Mitchel interrupted you. "Are you kidding me? For years these Russians have treated us like dirt. I don't doubt that everybody is more than willing to do this." The whole group cheered enthusiastically, and you dismissed them. Everybody got busy either jury-rigging the battleship engines, familiarizing themselves with the station's weapons, practicing flying in their respective ships, or analyzing blueprints of the station to find it's center of mass and strategically plot places for ships to be when the time came to push. After two whole days of preparation, it was time to deorbit the massive space station.

Every ship in the station (that was still functioning) was being manned by someone. 10 window-washing ships, 15 repair ships, and 2 transport ships were all strategically placed, but most of the thrust would come from the battleship engine pods, of which 4 were successfully attached and wired up to the station. Everybody else would stay aboard the station and man the stations weapons for when the flyby would happen. On the count of three, everybody engaged full throttle and slowly accelerated the station out of it's orbit in the Oort cloud. For 30 whole minutes, everybody kept their engines at nearly full throttle, with a few adjustments to keep it on course. Another countdown signaled everybody to stop. The station was now falling towards the sun. Everybody piloted their ships into the cargo bays of the two transport ships. The window washing ships in one, and the repair ships in the other. The civilian pilots took control of these ships while the janitors and mechanics boarded. The cooks and a few extra janitors remained on the station to man the turrets. Then, the transports began their journey.

The transports accelerated faster than the battleships, and so you slowly caught up to the Russian Fleet. After 3 months of acceleration, right outside the orbit of Neptune, the transport ships turned around and began decelerating, adjusting course to get an exact intercept with earth. You continually checked the comms to try to contact anybody, but the ships weaker system meant that you were only able to get a response 35 million kilometers from earth, about the orbit of mars. To your relief, it was the USSS Lexington that responded. Admiral Johnson immediately answered your hail. "well, if it isn't my head janitor. The Lexington is in orbit around earth, but despite my best efforts, the Earth Union will not take the threat seriously. They refused to recall thier peacekeeping forces, and they haven't even activated all of earth's defenses. If the Russians truly have a Dreadnaught, then the defenses here will not stand a chance. You know most about this situation, so I'll let you decide how the Lexington will be of best use. What should we do?"
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2016, 09:59:13 pm »

I'm thinking target acquirement and assistance in logistical data. If they're able to help us line up the shots in time, we can get a lot more done with what time we have. Target priorities are the dreadnought followed by at least one battleship. Earth's defenses plus the Lexington should be enough to defeat the other battleship if we are unable to deal with it.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2016, 10:34:49 pm »

It said the station could hold its own, not utterly destroy. I doubt there would be enough time during the flyby, So I say that our priorities are the two battleships. Destroy them, then concentrate everything else on the Borislav.

Plus, then we have a climactic final boss.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2016, 10:52:27 pm »

We should disable their engines, if they're sitting ducks and can't dodge, then everyone on our side will have a much easier time.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2016, 02:40:20 pm »

You answer Admiral Johnson, "I know this sounds crazy, but we took control of the Russian Space Station, and deorbited it. It is currently on a ballistic trajectory towards earth. There will be a small window where it will have a chance to unleash its weaponry upon the fleet. It can destroy both battleships in that time, but they need exact data about the location of the ships. When they get 250,000 kilometers away is when the station will be in range. Can the Lexington get accurate readings about trajectories and velocities at that distance?" Admiral Johnson replies, "of course. The station will destroy the two battleships, which just leaves the dreadnaught. The Lexington won't be able to do more than annoy it, and even with all of earth's current defenses, it will still be a bloody battle. Might I suggest that we fire at their engines while the Borislav is still decelerating, either crippling it's mobility, or forcing them to shut down and close their engines, resulting in them being in a less than ideal position?" You answer, "Yes. Whatever you can do to help, do it. We are intercepting the fleet a well, and will join in on the attack."

Meanwhile, on earth, all the news networks in very country began broadcasting the breaking news. "A Russian fleet has been spotted heading straight towards earth, they only sent out one message, 'Surrender or die' and refused all other communications attempts. The Earth Union representatives said that they had no idea this attack was coming, but that they will fight to the end. They have ordered a level 5 evacuation, all non-essential personnel are to retreat to the nearest civilian bunker and await further instructions." There was a mass stampede as everybody abandoned whatever they were doing to get to the bunkers under the cities.There, the News continued to broadcast. We have identified a Russian dreadnaught, the RFSS Borislav, two Russian battleships, and two transports. All orbital defenses have been activated, and a US battleship, the Lexington, has joined in on the defense." On the televisions, the 3 Russian ships were seen still decelerating, but firing their turrets at the farthest Earth defense platforms. The cameras cut to the distant defense stations firing back, but they were no match. A barrage of shots smash into the stations, sending debris into all directions, until all lights inside go out, and the weapons cease firing. An audible groan emanates around the bunkers where the entirety of earth's population was taking cover. However, morale seems to increase when shots are seen ripping into the two Russian Battleships, the news reporter starts talking again, "It appears that something is firing upon the fleet from deep space, it appears to be bigger than even the Borislav... we have never seen a ship this big... it is not slowing down... it is traveling at nearly 4 trillion kilometers an hour... identifying... it is a Russian Space Station!? I don't know how or why it is here, reports indicate it matches the station that the fleet came from, why is it firing on its own ships?"

The cameras struggled to keep the space station in view due to its high speed, but all of its weapons were firing, and a careful viewer could even see that some engine pods had somehow been fitted to it. The crowds inside cheered as the two Russian battleships were torn into pieces. "The station has taken out the two battleships! However it has since moved out of range again, it is going to fast to be of any more help. The Earth Union warns everybody that the battle is not over, do not leave the bunkers. The dreadnaught is still more dangerous than both battleships combined. There are also still two Russian transports behind, and we have no idea what their purpose is. Hold on a minute, it appears that the transports have released 25 small fighters. We are focusing on them now. They are... Hold on... That can't be right... uh... I don't know what to say... It seems that the 25 ships are all civilian repair ships and... window washing ships!? It seems that one of them is broadcasting something"

Back in your window washing ship, you see the two battleships get destroyed as the station flies past at a ludicrous speed. You tell everybody to launch their vessels, and form up. You never gave a battle plan to the fighters, this part of the mission was not thought through, you need to tell them your battle plan, and for good measure, you decide to also give an invigorating speech. No time like the present.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

germanyfrance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2016, 07:30:03 pm »

"Brave soldiers, you have lived the majority of your life as slaves. Slaves to oppression. Slaves to Fear. But you have shown great courage, doing what others said was impossible. Even though everybody else may see you as weak and simple-minded, you have shown more than that by coming here. None of you have combat pilot training, but you have worked your whole life in these ships. You can wash windows better then they can fly fighters. You can fix ships better than they shoot guns, so use that experience to your advantage. Break windows, disassemble turrets. Make life a living hell for anybody on board. Make sure that they know that they are not the boss anymore. We are the boss. And don't let anything change that. ATTACK!"

Or something similar. Please improve it everybody :)

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2016, 07:49:42 pm »

Speak into the Comms to our fleet, hell, broadcast it to everyone if possible. "Men of Terra," then target-paint the Russian Dreadnought.

"There! our foe. They will charge us, and break like waves against our determination. But they will come again, and come again, until the solutions in our ship and the fuel in our torches run dry. Then, we here shall charge down upon them, to stem their tide and assure victory. If.. if by doing so.. we are marked to die, we are know to do our loss, and if  to live, the lowly janitors to the few mechanics of Terra, the greater share of honor. The Gods will, I pray thee, wish not one man more to aid us. I am not covetous of gold, nor care I who doth feed upon my cost, it yearns me not if men my apron wear. Such outward things dwell not in my desires. But if it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive. Wish not one more man! I would not lose so great an honor as one man more methinks would share from me. Proclaim it through my host, that he which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart. We would not die in that man's company that fears his fellowship to die with us. He that shall live this day, and see old age will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbors, and say 'Tomorrow is The Earth's defense.' Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars, and say 'These wounds I had at Earth's Defense.' Old men forget, yet all shall not be forgot. But he'll remember, with advantages, what feats he did that day. Then shall our names, familiar in his mouth as household words, be in their flowing cups freshly remembered. This story shall the good man tell his son, from this day to the end of the world. We in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. And gentle sers on Earth now-a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speak that fought with us this day besides me."

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2016, 12:16:20 pm »

You open comms an start a speech to your comraes. Unbeknownst to you, everybody back on earth was also hearing your speech. ""Men of Terra, there! our foe. They will charge us, and break like waves against our determination. But they will come again, and come again, until the solutions in our ship and the fuel in our torches run dry. Then, we here shall charge down upon them, to stem their tide and assure victory. If.. if by doing so.. we are marked to die, we are know to do our loss, and if  to live, the lowly janitors to the few mechanics of Terra, the greater share of honor. The Gods will, I pray thee, wish not one man more to aid us. I am not covetous of gold, nor care I who doth feed upon my cost, it yearns me not if men my apron wear. Such outward things dwell not in my desires. But if it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive. Wish not one more man! I would not lose so great an honor as one man more methinks would share from me. Proclaim it through my host, that he which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart. We would not die in that man's company that fears his fellowship to die with us. He that shall live this day, and see old age will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbors, and say 'Tomorrow is The Earth's defense.' Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars, and say 'These wounds I had at Earth's Defense.' Old men forget, yet all shall not be forgot. But he'll remember, with advantages, what feats he did that day. Then shall our names, familiar in his mouth as household words, be in their flowing cups freshly remembered. This story shall the good man tell his son, from this day to the end of the world. We in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. And gentle sers on Earth now-a-bed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speak that fought with us this day besides me."

There is silence for a few seconds, then Mitchel says, "what?" You rephrase your speech. "Everybody together, let's get them! We will use whatever we can to do whatever we can. Break their windows, disassemble their turrets. Make life for them a living hell!" Everybody is much more enthusiastic this time. Everybody engages their throttle and closes the final distance between the two ships. The Borislav was still decelerating, so it's hangar door stayed closed. The ship's anti-fighter weapons had trouble targeting the miniscule and highly agile window-washing ships and repair ships. There was a small window where window washers could smash the windows, evacuating the air, and repair ships could disassemble the smaller turrets. The Lexington also took this opportunity to fire at the Borislav's main engine, disabling one, and causing the Borislav to spin. However, the Borislav went into full combat mode, covering it's engines, locking down the remaining windows, and it's hangar door opened. Thousands upon thousands of fighters came swarming out of the hangar, along with dozens of boarding ships, all headed for the Lexington. The turrets also aimed at the Lexington, but also at all the orbital defense platforms. The fighters started intercepting your comrades, killing several. There was no way that you could fight them all off. All hope seemed lost...

But then, other ships joined in! Civilian Freighters, Luxury Yachts, merchant ships, Private transports, and you even saw a very familiar looking Diplomatic envoy! Someone calls you on the comms, "Hey! Sargent Braden here. Didn't think we forgot about you didya? Your speech seemed to rile up the whole planet, so you now have a whole fleet of pissed off civilians on your side. Let's give 'em hell!" The mass of civilian ships turned the tide of the small ship battles, overwhelming the fighters with sheer numbers. They were using whatever they could to attack the fighters, either by ramming, ejecting cargo on a collision course, or shooting guns in a few cases. The battle turned once again in your favor, however the large scale battle was still not good. About half of the defense platforms had been demolished, and the Lexington was taking damaging hits, not to mention the 2 dozen boarding craft about to make life even worse for them. If you want to destroy the Borislav, you will need the Lexington to survive, nothing else could damage it enough. Or a more creative solution would be needed.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »

Hmm... you know.. The Lexington would make a really good bullet if going full speed on a collision course with the Borislav.

That'd be a last resort, of course. But then again, any ship travelling fast enough would make a good bullet.

I think we need to get rid of those boarding ships somehow.. maybe squirt cleaning solutions into their engines then bump them off-course, several windows-washing ship should be able to do that. Or have some cargo ships drop cargo containers into their way!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2016, 05:26:20 pm »

Now that the windows were locked down, you tell all your fellow janitors, "we need the Lexington to survive. Give everything you've got on those boarding ships. Don't let a single one land. All the window washing ships come with you and get in a formation. "Aim for the engines, squirt as much solution as you can inside," Mitchel orders everybody. Your attack formation squirts liquid in the engines of 12 of them, but the fighter escorts notice you and give chase. You will have to deal with them first, or risk taking large losses. twelve wings of fighters, the ones that were guarding the 12 destroyed boarding vessels, come and attack your group of 10 window washing ships. Other ships were too far away to help immediately, but could come in a little bit if you called them.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2016, 05:41:38 pm »

Request assistance and escourt to the Lexington so this doesn't become a problem in the future. Meanwhile, have all washing ships in formation use on spurt of fluid to screw the fighters over like we have in the past, and then personnally do clean up on that mess.

Afterwards instruct the civilian fleet to coordinate with the Lexington so that it can be used  more effectively, with ships being grouped up in terms of maneuverability.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17