Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarven Mining Company - A Dwarfy economic and capitalism simulator. (Turn 1)  (Read 13416 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

wait so when can we hire folks?
I'm guessing Vivalas thought it was clear (and it is understandable given these kinds of wording slips), that the hiring was said in:
Workers cost 10 * qual to hire, and cost 5 * qual per turn to pay wages to.
It is extremely vague as to WHOM are paying though. Mines or Guild. Guild pays those that are unhired, mines pay those that are hired--that makes sense, but isn't mentioned. It isn't further mentioned if this 'hire' pertains to Guild or mines. But we're all assuming the 10*qual goes to mines so that's why all our prices are around 10/20+ (and associated advertising).

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I suppose I did leave one of the major points of the game out? Maybe I need to add this to the main overview area, but hopefully this makes everything a lot more clear:

Mines are only responsible for their mines. Mines cannot hire workers. Mines do not pay workers. Mines have nothing to do with workers. The guilds are the ones that mess with workers. Guilds hire workers, and contract their labor to the mines. This is what drives the game.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I suppose I did leave one of the major points of the game out? Maybe I need to add this to the main overview area, but hopefully this makes everything a lot more clear:

Mines are only responsible for their mines. Mines cannot hire workers. Mines do not pay workers. Mines have nothing to do with workers. The guilds are the ones that mess with workers. Guilds hire workers, and contract their labor to the mines. This is what drives the game.
I was wondering the high rates compared to starting cash.
...Now everyone else has rich deals. :I I think I'm the only one not accepted.
Kashyyk -- manored
Playergamer -- Rolep
Hum, six open. [Unsure how Moony is playing with an invalid specialty which was...never stated at all.]

The Golden Hands offer their ten man service, divided into half QL2 and 1, for 100g sum total. We demand at least an SR of 3.

Spoiler: Current turn info (click to show/hide)

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile

I thought everyone had understood what the guild-mines dynamic was. Maybe we should reset the first turn since it seems most people got confus.

To clarify:
>Guilds hire workers at a *fixed price* depending on their qual, paying with their own money. They also pay their turnly maintenance with their own money.
>They then "rent" these workers out to the mines for a turn. The price is freely negotiated, and comes out of the mine's pockets. This is how guilds make money.
>The mine produces a certain amount of coal depending of how many workers it secured this turn, their qual, and a random factor.
>The mines sell the coal and this is how they make money.
>The guilds then need to buy food to fed their dwarves and this is their other "upkeep" besides the salary of the workers.
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If there is a majority consensus to doing so, I suppose I can. I don't really think we need to reset the turn, I can just extend it 3 more days or so. Some people seem to have gotten it, others not so much. After this game I will overhaul the rules to make them less confusing. When I wrote them it was kind of a subconscious flow of information from muh brain, which is how I write most of the time, and it usually gets jumbled up. 
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

If there is a majority consensus to doing so, I suppose I can. I don't really think we need to reset the turn, I can just extend it 3 more days or so. Some people seem to have gotten it, others not so much. After this game I will overhaul the rules to make them less confusing. When I wrote them it was kind of a subconscious flow of information from muh brain, which is how I write most of the time, and it usually gets jumbled up.

Dont reset.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Doesn't help when people don't actively negotiate and participate.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Don't reset please. I would like to hear your reasoning for "only one deal per business per turn" though. And to reiterate my question from earlier: is fractional parts of gold a thing in this game?

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meaning you can only secure a deal with one other person. You can keep changing your offer though. Perhaps I may change that for future games, but the purpose is to create competition.
- Charles Babbage

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 to Don't Reset. This is, after all, the test/beta phase. :P

So...for the rest of the 6. Let's do some negotiation rather than dropping deals right and left. We're here to test this out rather than make it formal given the recent events. We still haven't gotten to the bidding! I bet that's where there will be a bit of confusion or free application.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, so with less than 12 hours left in the turn, 3 mines haven't posted SR, 5 mines haven't posted any coal bids, and 2 mines haven't participated at all. I will be messaging MoonyTheHuman and Roboson to see if they forgot about this, but if it turns out there are only 3 mines that's gonna suck for the Guilds. Of course, I will be accepting replacements from the peanut gallery.

Also, I am extending this turn by 48 hours (2 days), I don't want to drag it on for too long, but feel that should be enough for everyone to fix those things, and for those two to participate.
- Charles Babbage

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile

Oh, coal bids are supposed to be sent in advance? I thought that happened after the production phase.
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The production "phase" is not really a phase so much as me processing the turn and starting the next one. I'm pretty sure I mentioned coal bids in the "bidding phase", but, dunno.  :-\
- Charles Babbage

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And to reiterate my question from earlier: is fractional parts of gold a thing in this game?

Forgot about this. Yes, but only down to the tenths. Anything less is insignificant.
- Charles Babbage

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whoah Whoah Whoah Whoah Whoah. Tiruin. The compliments are nice and all but that is some serious undercutting. Are you sure you want to get into that sort of price war?

In light of recent events, the NUM's offer has been revised - to a mere 85g, minimum SR 3, for the entire group - The offer of the century! A pathetically low 6.5g per Tier 1 Worker Equivalent! Offer Void if the other mines actually post or the Golden Hands company reconsiders its' pricing strategy. Fire Sale ends Wednesday.

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9