Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarven Mining Company - A Dwarfy economic and capitalism simulator. (Turn 1)  (Read 13429 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

Fair point. 12 gold per head, five workers. SR 5.
We would be willing to hire out at 12g per worker, if you're willing to hire 8 workers. Even if you go into a small amount of debt, I don't believe interest accumulates until the end of the turn anyway, and you'll more than make money back on coal.

Also you forgot your info page.
Accepted.

(Info is two posts above that one.)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

In order to allow it to be official...

Offering 8 Qual 1 workers at 12g a head to Peatpeak, for a total cost of 96g, at a Mine SR of 5.

Spoiler: Info (click to show/hide)
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair point. 12 gold per head, five workers. SR 5.
We would be willing to hire out at 12g per worker, if you're willing to hire 8 workers. Even if you go into a small amount of debt, I don't believe interest accumulates until the end of the turn anyway, and you'll more than make money back on coal.

Also you forgot your info page.

Speaking of which, Vivalas, could we at least get an idea of what's too low for food and what's too high for coal? Like, what they'll just refuse to buy or sell at? Or is it going to be experimental to determine that?

It is indeed going to be experimental, I don't quite know yet myself. That rule is just so players don't coordinate and lock the prices too high to make more money. My suggestion is just don't try to get too greedy with profits. The refusal prices are for if you go absurd with prices, like, 100g per coal. For food it would probably be like .1g.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@manored: You have an overdraft of 100g, and you'll immediately be making money back from the sale of coal. If I understand the rules correctly as well, you'll be paid for coal before you pay me for workers as well.

I guess you could technically do this, just as long as you don't go past your debt limit. The rule exists so that guilds don't get screwed if mines vastly overestimate their profits.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile

Guess I will go ahead and hire those ten dudes then.
In the beggining, there were the dwarves

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

In order to allow it to be official...

Offering 8 Qual 1 workers at 12g a head to Peatpeak, for a total cost of 96g, at a Mine SR of 5.

Spoiler: Info (click to show/hide)
Offer Accepted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

@OP/GM: Are we able to comment on others' advertising? Because if I may, I like the schtick of this one. :P
Also how ...or when do you know a mine's SR or guild's quality?

I don't see why you couldn't. Jeering at your competitors is a staple of good business.

You don't really ever get directly told the SR of mines or the quality of workers, but you can infer it. If a mine continously gets subpar production it might be low quality workers. If a mine is accident prone it might be low SR. The only exception I can think of is natural disasters, which give a pretty dead giveaway of the mine's SR.
I'd be completely wondering at TopHat's notes since there is no indication of a hiring price IN THE OP although there is consideration towards hiring others given the miner #'s. Unless I missed anything--hence why I only stuck to the basic 5. -_-

And it looks like everyone has a pair but me :v

E:
Speaking of which, Vivalas, could we at least get an idea of what's too low for food and what's too high for coal? Like, what they'll just refuse to buy or sell at? Or is it going to be experimental to determine that?
I was the one who asked Vivalas about it :P
His response was:
As for bidding on food, there is not supposed to be a baseline :P. Just try to make a profit without getting greedy. Remember guilds don't have to buy food the first turn anyways.
@GM/Vivalas: Can we publicly announce our food bids? :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:48:18 pm by Tiruin »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be completely wondering at TopHat's notes since there is no indication of a hiring price IN THE OP although there is consideration towards hiring others given the miner #'s. Unless I missed anything--hence why I only stuck to the basic 5. -_-

I don't really follow this.

@GM/Vivalas: Can we publicly announce our food bids? :P

I suppose you can but that just opens you up to be outbid by somebody else. Unless you intend to be misleading.

Also,

It is indeed going to be experimental, I don't quite know yet myself. That rule is just so players don't coordinate and lock the prices too high to make more money. My suggestion is just don't try to get too greedy with profits. The refusal prices are for if you go absurd with prices, like, 100g per coal. For food it would probably be like .1g.

These are the far FAR extremes of what you should be bidding. I don't really want to provide players with examples of what they should be bidding, this is more of what you shouldn't be bidding. Your bids should be based on what suits you. If you wanna try to squeeze profits, do so. If you get out bid, try to bid lower / higher next time. Competition is the main mechanic here. There will be price averages though once we get going if you really need guidance. Also I changed the food example to 1g, since .1g is a bit too extreme for even the extreme. These are not the actual limits though anyways.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:26:04 pm by Vivalas »
- Charles Babbage

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apologies for the OP, I understand it can be vague. I am trying to clarify as many things as possible so that I can make the rules easy to understand for future players. If you notice anything that is vague or badly worded, please tell me so I can fix it ASAP. I am trying to improve the quality of the rules as much as possible.
- Charles Babbage

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't really follow this.
Either I missed the note, or there is no note on the price for hiring new miners for guilds.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Qualification: Not all dwarves are good at mining. There are some that are legends with a pickaxe, and others... well... they're better at things like... cheesemaking. Qualification represents the skill and training of a worker. Qualification ranges from 1-3 and also influences the amount of coal the worker outputs. Workers cost 10 * qual to hire, and cost 5 * qual per turn to pay wages to. You may also upgrade existing workers to higher quals by paying the difference. (e.g. qual 1 to 2 would be 10.), but this is a one way street. You cannot downgrade workers.

- Charles Babbage

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

You mentioned .1g, does that mean we're allowed to bid fractions and you'll track them?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Qualification: Not all dwarves are good at mining. There are some that are legends with a pickaxe, and others... well... they're better at things like... cheesemaking. Qualification represents the skill and training of a worker. Qualification ranges from 1-3 and also influences the amount of coal the worker outputs. Workers cost 10 * qual to hire, and cost 5 * qual per turn to pay wages to. You may also upgrade existing workers to higher quals by paying the difference. (e.g. qual 1 to 2 would be 10.), but this is a one way street. You cannot downgrade workers.

That's the vagueness I'm talking about. Although it also could be me reading things in their application. "Hire" could mean to either GUILD or MINE, there is no distinction where, unless you infer 'this costs at least 10*qual for mines and guilds', because if it's only to guilds then we're SERIOUSLY undercutting the mines at present with our 10+/20+ prices. The turn/wage is understandable.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Golden Hands have admitted extra personnel; 5 2nd tier miners (Q2) along with 5 interns (Q1), the bidding price in total amounts to 165--a mere 10% of all wages given. Prices negotiable upon demand.

Although I bet 4 people are already taken since we're pairing up guilds and mines. :P

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

wait so when can we hire folks?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9