Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395826 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15825 on: December 16, 2016, 09:40:52 pm »

But state rights is the way we get more Mexicans into the country right now, via "sanctuary cities", so they're not just all racism, you know.

Those are cities, not states. :V
The idea is the same, still. They both have the right to deny federal law enforcement, to a certain extent.

Another example - marijuana legalization. Federally, it's illegal, but in many states, it is legalized now. Is it racist to allow for states to legalize marijuana?

Technically it still isn't legal, because states cannot actually nullify federal laws. There's nothing stopping the DEA from coming in and arresting people involved with "legal" marijuana businesses, if Trump decides that he doesn't approve.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15826 on: December 16, 2016, 09:49:57 pm »

Not entirely. While Trump is not legally limited in this regard, and could definitely cause interference, he is limited by practical capacity. The DEA doesn't have the manpower to enact such a campaign in any effective manner. Random dispensaries would get hit, to great public distaste. They couldn't go after individual growers or users with anything other than incidental frequency. And, of course, the lack of cooperation from state police and especially the judiciary would put all such incidents in jeopardy.

States can't nullify laws in the same way juries can't nullify crimes: It's written as so, but can only be enforced if the people involved desire it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15827 on: December 16, 2016, 10:34:52 pm »

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/trumps-tweet-about-vanity-fair-increases-subscriptions-to-the-magazine/news-story/599cfdf56189b8be8e59d0c19f99f26e

“Has anyone looked at the really poor numbers of @VanityFair Magazine. Way down, big trouble, dead! Graydon Carter, no talent, will be out!” Trump tweeted early on Thursday.

A spokesperson for publisher Conde Nast on Friday said Vanity Fair subscriptions had increased “100-fold” following the tweet.

A banner on its website now reads, “The magazine Trump doesn’t want you to read. Subscribe now!”

Is your brand tanking? Try the "insult Trump" method of turning your fortunes around.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:38:31 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15828 on: December 16, 2016, 10:47:52 pm »

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/trumps-tweet-about-vanity-fair-increases-subscriptions-to-the-magazine/news-story/599cfdf56189b8be8e59d0c19f99f26e

“Has anyone looked at the really poor numbers of @VanityFair Magazine. Way down, big trouble, dead! Graydon Carter, no talent, will be out!” Trump tweeted early on Thursday.

A spokesperson for publisher Conde Nast on Friday said Vanity Fair subscriptions had increased “100-fold” following the tweet.

Is your brand tanking? Try the "insult Trump" method of turning your fortunes around.

Stocks too, though it's been more of a dip and then bounce.

It's even leading traders to cash in on his tweets. The whole 'axe' concept and taking advantage of it sounds cheesy, but that's just how the stock market and trading works. Plus there's never been as big of an 'axe' or as high profile a one as Trump is.

I really doubt Trump is intentionally doing it to help the companies that he insults.

Though if companies start actually doing that, people, and possibly Trump, will start getting suspicious.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15829 on: December 16, 2016, 10:53:07 pm »

Looking at those North Carolina changes, I'm pretty sure that they're going to backfire big time someway down the track, let's see how 2017 goes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15830 on: December 16, 2016, 10:55:19 pm »

Unfortunately, I think that depends more on Trump than anything. The rural piedmont is brutally Republican.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15831 on: December 16, 2016, 11:12:34 pm »

States rights are good insofar as they mean more of the things I want.

They are bad insofar as they mean less of the things I want.

There is no meta-cognition process occurring here where people are making rational decisions as to whether they think states rights are good in practice/the abstract as a general principle and then applying it. People look at whether or not their tribe/philosophy/values/etc. are benefitted by it for each instance and then generalize out to find reasons why it's bad in practice/as a general principle. And this will hold for as long as the dynamics of whether the things it causes are things they like stay as they are, and reverse as soon as the situation does. All that matters is victory and getting more of what you want, and the enemy getting less of what they want.

Goes for a lot more than states rights, too. 'Historical revisionism' versus 'more accurate depiction of history, cleared up of historical biases', for instance. The relevant question is not 'what is more accurate and true?', the relevant question is 'does this support my worldview?'

Yes, I am a little annoyed at that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15832 on: December 17, 2016, 01:18:22 am »

They'd rather have a buffer state between themselves and democratic SK. Though that probably only holds up for recently because I've heard that decades ago, the SK government was more of a junta and not as democratic as it is now.
Being a junta or being a democracy doesn't actually matter, as far as China is concerned; they'll do business either way, just as the US, USSR, and Russia would do business either way.  For example, look at Chinese investment in democratic Malaysia.  What matters is US bases in the ROK.  The last thing China wants is a US military presence on the Yalu; that's what informed their decision to intervene in the Korean War half a century ago, and it's a key fear that helps inform their continuing "noses-held" support of the DPRK today.  It's also the reason they made such a stink about the idea of THAAD being deployed in the ROK in February, and though less obvious, it's a subtle motivating factor in both their involvement in the Senkakus (breaching a perceived naval cordon from Kyushu through the Ryukyu Arc to Taiwan the Republic of China Taiwan Province and from there, the Philippines, as well as their little construction projects in the South China Sea (compared to the driving economic motivations, the military motivations are ancillary but still present). 

Another detail that serves as further motivation is that they really don't want a refugee crisis on the Yalu, either.  As far as China is concerned, a strong Nork government is the only things keeping a horde of "economic migrants" (China, for various reasons, declines to recognize them as official refugees) from pouring across the border, as would likely occur if the government outright collapsed.  There's a reason the PLA replaced police forces as managing border security in the region a decade ago, and while the border's still rather open, they've been beefing it up in places. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:25:08 am by Culise »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15833 on: December 17, 2016, 02:07:24 am »

Yup, and remember the rhetoric of the communists. Virtually every communist nation has the word "democratic" or "people's" in the official name somewhere, so there's no specific ideology which says "democracy bad", they just define themselves as the good form of democracy (nation run for the benefit of "the people") vs the American form as "degenerate" / "fake" democracy.

I think it takes effort to think past the whole "hollywood free world" worldview, where all countries that don't like America are evil plotting evil-doers who hate the concept of freedom itself. Things are never that clear-cut in the real world.

Even Iran, if you look at their electoral system, there are some features which are good, and lacked by the American system. Obviously there are other things that you'd want them to ditch (the religious requirement), but overall they have some advanced ideas such as multi-member electorates and requiring that candidates have a masters degree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_legislative_election,_2016
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:18:09 am by Reelya »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15834 on: December 17, 2016, 02:41:06 am »

chinese Taipei :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15835 on: December 17, 2016, 02:42:14 am »

Dunno about that master's degree thing.

I mean, maybe it's a good idea, I'm just not certain about codifying the social class requirements for politics. :/
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15836 on: December 17, 2016, 03:12:38 am »

The religious requirement in Iran isn't too different from the US, except that in the US replace the word "Islamic" with Christian - most major politicians here are somewhere on the range of "Christian" to "atheist but claims Christian".
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15837 on: December 17, 2016, 03:43:19 am »

The religious requirement in Iran isn't too different from the US, except that in the US replace the word "Islamic" with Christian - most major politicians here are somewhere on the range of "Christian" to "atheist but claims Christian".
True, but if the US population ever changes its mind on that the lack of an explicit rule will make it harder for non-Christians to be blocked out.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15838 on: December 17, 2016, 05:27:17 am »

LOL, no, the religious requirement in Iran does not even remotely resemble the U.S. and not only they are not advanced, their legislation is absolutely mandated by the constitution (which if you disagree with, you can't run for any kind of office) to rely on laws given thousands of years ago.

Could a Barney sanders compete for a spot in the presidential race in Iran? no, since he does not belong to the majority religion.
Could a J.F.K become president? no, since he does not belong to the majority religious sect.

The Master's degree is rather stupid since Iran has a flourishing industry of buying fabricated degrees, but even so, Could a Barney sanders compete for a spot in the presidential race in Iran, even if he was a practicing Shia Muslim? No, since Barnie Sanders does not have a Master's degree.
J.F.K did not have a Master's degree and even Abraham Lincoln and George Washington didn't have enough formal academic education to entitle a Bachelor degree, let alone a Master's.

All of Iran's "freedom" is just black shapes on white pages. In reality, the freedom of thought, expression and religion in Iran is so nonexistent, that if you are not an Islamo robofascist, you are not entitled to run for the parliament, unless you run for the minority seats which are completely meaningless and only serve to maintain an appearance, just like North Korea calls themselves the Democratic Republic of North Korea.

but hey, at least they have multi-member electorates, right?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15839 on: December 17, 2016, 07:21:59 am »

FBI is now agreeing with CIA that it was Russia who has elected Donald Trump for POTUS.

Meanwhile, Obama desperately tries to scare Russia off by making threats, which sound pretty fucking hollow after nearly a decade of Obama-policy of appeasement and red-lines.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 1249