Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1395724 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15810 on: December 16, 2016, 07:15:22 pm »

google "sufficient foreign assistance" with the quotes to get the current version for Iran. This is a good example of how the hype works:

http://www.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/202707/iranian-icbm-by-2015/

Phil Stewart and Adam Entous of Reuters noticed this sentence stating that Iran could develop an ICBM by 2015 and made it there lede:

With sufficient foreign assistance, Iran could probably develop and test an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the United States by 2015.
Unfortunately, this is just intelligence community boilerplate — the same sentence has appeared in every edition of Ballistic and Cruise Missile Threat: 2009, 2006, 2003 and 2000. Seriously, you can look it up.

How much foreign assistance is required for that prediction? "Sufficient" foreign assistance. And I guess it would be a country that already has ICBMs, which limits it to about 2-3 possible benefactors of these billions of dollars in military aid that Iran is supposed to have been getting "any day now" for the last 15 years.

The US government was claiming 2015 as the "Iranian ICBM year" right up to reports in 2013. Around 2012 basically everyone started to deride the intelligence reports as fucking ludicrous, so they finally updated the assessment in 2014.
http://allthingsnuclear.org/lgrego/pentagon-changes-its-assessment-of-irans-icbm-prospects
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:27:25 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15811 on: December 16, 2016, 07:25:40 pm »

I will say... with Sufficient Foreign assistance... The moon could become the most powerful nation known and rain nukes upon us world dwellers.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15812 on: December 16, 2016, 07:28:50 pm »

With Sufficient Foreign Assistance, the Adelie Penguin Empire could expand out from Antarctica and subjugate the humans. Although I think our new semi-aquatic avian overlords will need to keep a few humans around to actually run the empire.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: December 16, 2016, 07:38:53 pm »

The real thing keeping NK afloat has historically been China, the nuclear program and artillery emplacements are just an attempt to remain unassailable as their only ally loses interest in being belligerent on the behalf of a regime they no longer like.

Oh, it's this post again

at some point China is going to North Korea. they are such a massive pain to everyone.

Quote from: DJ link=topic=71452.msg1742835#msg1742835
(23-11-2010)
at some point China is going to North Korea. they are such a massive pain to everyone.

Any war would lead to North Korea folding very quickly, certainly not something that would lead to millions of deaths.

I don't think China would actually much oppose such a move these days. From what is known to us, the PRC is starting to regard North Korea like a spoiled half-cousin who is far more trouble than they are worth.

And if they do this, they lose China's support, and the US marches in. They KNOW China said they'd pull their support if NK attacked anyone.

This keeps getting posted over and over and China never seems to get quite tired of whichever Kim is in charge at the moment.  I think China's fedupness with NK is very much exaggerated.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15814 on: December 16, 2016, 07:41:29 pm »

You know if Trump is President does that give us the right to ban foreigners from Ameripol? Think about it.

The heck are you getting that idea from?

Anyway, North Carolina is being terrible (again).

Vox has a bit more in-depth article on it.

Anybody else feel like the feds need to go in and force them to straighten out? Though that'd obviously be a massive violation of states rights. Unless it's through the courts.
Oh, believe me, I'd be out there cheering with the American flag on my back if the Federal government marched down here and arrested our entire legislature. The Dems are nominally corrupt and the Republicans are trying to self-destruct the state just in case they get voted out later. They're still planning to stack the courts in order to negate the election of our liberal judges, too.

It is literally criminal. I will take back everything bad I've ever said about Obama if he purges the NC government before leaving office. The state is already looking at charges from the electoral commission for grossly illegal districting. Farewell, District 300-Mile Line Of Black People And Charlotte.
This keeps getting posted over and over and China never seems to get quite tired of whichever Kim is in charge at the moment.  I think China's fedupness with NK is very much exaggerated.
It is clear from China's lack of interest in protecting NK from global sanctions alone that they're fed up with them. That doesn't mean they're going to come charging down and annex NK, but it does mean NK is on the chopping block should the blood hit the fan (I'm changing the saying for 2016). They're a sacrificial ally, but still an ally. The fig leaf of their defensive alliance is used as leverage over NK, so it's also the practical thing to do as well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15815 on: December 16, 2016, 07:44:09 pm »

They'd rather have a buffer state between themselves and democratic SK. Though that probably only holds up for recently because I've heard that decades ago, the SK government was more of a junta and not as democratic as it is now.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15816 on: December 16, 2016, 07:44:39 pm »

Well it was like Hussein and the non-existent nuclear weapons at the time. If he said "no actually, we don't have nuclear weapons", he's basically telling all the rival nations around him "yeah, we don't have massive world destroying weapons to lob over the border if you decide to get belligerent".

With China, if they say "piss off NK" they're basically inviting a US backed invasion of a nearby country, so the US can garrison troops and weapons once they've hanged Kim. I don't think they want that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15817 on: December 16, 2016, 07:48:11 pm »

You know if Trump is President does that give us the right to ban foreigners from Ameripol? Think about it.

Anybody else feel like the feds need to go in and force them to straighten out? Though that'd obviously be a massive violation of states rights. Unless it's through the courts.

1. The feds? What, President Trump?
2. States rights is code for slavery
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: December 16, 2016, 07:52:42 pm »

With China, if they say "piss off NK" they're basically inviting a US backed invasion of a nearby country, so the US can garrison troops and weapons once they've hanged Kim. I don't think they want that.

I don't think China actually has interest in invading Korea, and the only reason that we have troops there is because it's needed to protect (more of a deterrent really) SK. There's no guarantee that we will actually garrison troops there, SK (or an unified Korea) would have to ask the US to do that first.

1. The feds? What, President Trump?
2. States rights is code for slavery

1. *shrug*
2. I meant as in being able to do their own thing much of the time.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #15819 on: December 16, 2016, 08:11:11 pm »

Smj, I'm pretty sure that Shadow's joking. He's probably annoyed by the 'EVERYTHING THE CONSERVATIVES SAY IS A DOG WHISTLE FOR EVIL STUFF' everybody's saying. I am too. Sure, they're awful, but there's no SEEKRIT COUD.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15820 on: December 16, 2016, 09:12:42 pm »

Smj, I'm pretty sure that Shadow's joking. He's probably annoyed by the 'EVERYTHING THE CONSERVATIVES SAY IS A DOG WHISTLE FOR EVIL STUFF' everybody's saying. I am too. Sure, they're awful, but there's no SEEKRIT COUD.

No, I remember history and am referencing it, and how the civil war's cause was changed* retroactively** from slavery to "states' rights." :V

* by politicians, not historians, iirc, but it made it into history books because texas, probably
** "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:16:51 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15821 on: December 16, 2016, 09:17:35 pm »

But state rights is the way we get more Mexicans into the country right now, via "sanctuary cities", so they're not just all racism, you know.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15822 on: December 16, 2016, 09:20:15 pm »

No, I remember history and am referencing it, and how the civil war's cause was changed* retroactively** from slavery to "states' rights." :V

* by politicians, not historians, iirc, but it made it into history books because texas, probably
** "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

I wasn't even trying to refer to that... the whole Civil War revisionism I mean.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15823 on: December 16, 2016, 09:25:36 pm »

I wasn't even trying to refer to that... the whole Civil War revisionism I mean.

Of course, of course.

But state rights is the way we get more Mexicans into the country right now, via "sanctuary cities", so they're not just all racism, you know.

Those are cities, not states. :V

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15824 on: December 16, 2016, 09:28:43 pm »

Those are cities, not states. :V
The idea is the same, still. They both have the right to deny federal law enforcement, to a certain extent.

Another example - marijuana legalization. Federally, it's illegal, but in many states, it is legalized now. Is it racist to allow for states to legalize marijuana?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 1249