Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1388677 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #6540 on: October 10, 2016, 04:33:19 pm »

Also, Nigel Farage compared Trumps debate performance as like that of a silverback gorilla. I can't tell if he meant it in a positive or a negative way.
I was gonna make a comment about prosecutors but wtf when did you guys steal Farage, give him back, he's not supposed to be making trump harambe memes in USA he should be making dank memes in UK

The FBI cleared her, and it's not 100% clear that she actually broke the law. Sure, he can appoint a special prosceutor, but he can't order them to jail Clinton.
Huffpo saying exact opposite

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: October 10, 2016, 04:35:43 pm »

You know, it's a sad day when the best defense for a candidate is 'well they probably wouldn't be able to manage to implement their more terrible policies'. Whether it's people who think Trump will try to police state or Clinton banning non-PC speech. Don't even know enough about her actual position on gun control to say much but the answer is the usual one there as to the perception by some.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:33 pm »

So apparently I've missed it, and it hasn't been discussed here much, but Trump has explicitly said that he would put Hillary in jail if he was to win. Seems like a distinctly un-American and Russian thing to say here. Not that anyone who has paid even a little attention to Trump would be surprised about him trying to emulate his idol and embrace the anti-democratic values that would destroy America and turn it into a twisted Russia-lookalike mockery, but apparently there are still quite a few of those left.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Putin isn't stupid enough to come out and say that.  He is smart enough to delegate the task.
Well yeah, Trump is stupid and he blabbed about it in the open, because he's fucking stupid. By "emulate" I mean "act like Putin", i.e. jail his most potentially credible political opponents, and leave the field of opposition to the raving lunatics and puppets that discredit everyone else by association. Of course, in Trump's execution that would most likely transform into "jail everyone who I don't like", because he's stupid. He'd probably fail, but he could make this a politically acceptable thing to do, a new norm - and that would deal some very lasting damage to USA.

While it's granted that he was giving blood-soaked red meat to his supporters, the rhetoric is still extremely concerning. If he is willing to jail Clinton, then who else might he try to jail?

Also, again, Nixon tried to do it to get the Watergate proscetor arrested or at least stop the investigation. Two AGs resigned when he tried to do that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: October 10, 2016, 04:38:19 pm »

Would trump even have the authority to do that?
He could tell the attorney general to do it, which is the specific wording used during the debate. What happens from there is out of his power.

The interesting thing is that congress also has the power to appoint a special prosecutor. Considering how likely it is trump will break the law in short order if he does get in office, and how rapidly he's been burning every bridge he can reach, that might not be a barrel of monkeys he wants to let loose. Especially if the dems make the gains it's looking a lot like they're going to (thanks to trump's shit :V) in the house et al.

And that's not huffpo, LW. That's one of the blog things they host. It's roughly as credible as the left nut of the tortoiseshell cat that hangs around outside my house.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:00 pm »

>Huffpo article

"Average american" sounds exactly like a huffpo political editor.

Why link to huffpo's blow-by-blow? Is there not, like, a version which doesn't have "And here is what any normal american should think about these lines" added in every 4 sentences?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:32 pm »

Also, Nigel Farage compared Trumps debate performance as like that of a silverback gorilla. I can't tell if he meant it in a positive or a negative way.
I was gonna make a comment about prosecutors but wtf when did you guys steal Farage, give him back, he's not supposed to be making trump harambe memes in USA he should be making dank memes in UK.

Lol...

The FBI cleared her, and it's not 100% clear that she actually broke the law. Sure, he can appoint a special prosceutor, but he can't order them to jail Clinton.
Huffpo saying exact opposite

Sounded like they didn't because they didn't want to set some sort of precedent or something. I agree here that it's double-standard up the wazoo.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:54 pm »

Most republicans wouldn't suffice.  James Comey is a republican.  I dont think Chris Christie would stoop that low.

Especially if the dems make the gains it's looking a lot like they're going to (thanks to trump's shit :V) in the house et al.

If by some miracle Trump wins, it probably means that republicans in general are winning.  Conditional probabilities and whatnot.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: October 10, 2016, 04:40:58 pm »

the tortoiseshell cat that hangs around outside my house
"Tortoiseshell"?  *Googles*
D'aww...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: October 10, 2016, 04:42:08 pm »

Yeah, they're adorable. Also note their genetics, though. It's the punchline.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: October 10, 2016, 04:43:34 pm »

Most republicans wouldn't suffice.  James Comey is a republican.  I dont think Chris Christie would stoop that low.

Especially if the dems make the gains it's looking a lot like they're going to (thanks to trump's shit :V) in the house et al.

If by some miracle Trump wins, it probably means that republicans in general are winning.  Conditional probabilities and whatnot.
Maybe, but if it's close enough and people vote Dem in their local elections but not presidential elections enough it could well be the case. I've seen some ideas that if he wins it could be a huge boon to the Social Justice movement. It thrives on prosecution, much like early Christianity. Having Trump in power would reaffirm everything the fringe parts of the movement believe and disgust enough people that they might flock in droves. And then we have people on the left pretending to fight for egalitarianism and people on the right also fighting against equality under Trump but for a very different group of people being placed on top, and elections are shit forevermore.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: October 10, 2016, 04:44:00 pm »

Do you not remember him egging the crowd on with the whole 'Lock Her Up!' at the Republican Convention? Yeah, some of it is show, but considering how the Republicans have been trying to throw her into a deep hole (metaphorically speaking) for a long time now, it's pretty easy to believe that some may go for it.

The difference is that James Comey wasn't a career politician, Chris Christie is.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: October 10, 2016, 04:44:24 pm »

To be more optimistic, people might want something different from a congressperson than from Trump.  I don't think even most Trump supporters think he has the sophistication or booklearnin for Congress, they just think he'll shake things up (and in the right direction).

There are also so many people who hate Clinton, but are otherwise liberal.  "Spurned" progressives and all that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6552 on: October 10, 2016, 04:45:38 pm »

>Huffpo article
"Average american" sounds exactly like a huffpo political editor.
Why link to huffpo's blow-by-blow? Is there not, like, a version which doesn't have "And here is what any normal american should think about these lines" added in every 4 sentences?
if it's not about international fishing rights I cba to find sick sources, especially on american elections which get flooded with spam news

basically it all looks obnoxious to me

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: October 10, 2016, 04:58:08 pm »

Most defences based around Trump not having enough power to do things have no real merit, anyway - remember, GOP has elected that guy. GOP has endorsed that guy. There are still about 40% of Americans ready to vote for that guy, and 85-90% of Republicans are all-in for Trump, too. We know what Republicans do - they fall in line with the winner, as long as that winner has (R) next to his name.

The Congress is firmly in Republican control. The Supreme Court can be easily moved to Republican control, as well. So Trump's threats are very, very real.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: October 10, 2016, 05:06:43 pm »

Some of them are refusing to though, so, there will be some resistance, but yeah, those threats are definetly very real. Also, the Senate may or may not be under Republican control for the first 2 years of his term.

While the rhetoric may very well just be blood-soaked red meat, one still has to wonder, would he actually try to do jail his former opponent and how far would he go?

Also, the RNC is sticking by Trump. Seems like the smart thing to do would be to abandon ship, but it remains to be seen how much they go down in flames when Trump loses. Especially if he refuses to concede or something.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 1249