Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics  (Read 10824 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2016, 03:54:34 pm »

This is going to be the "Brazilians rant about Brazil" thread, I can taste it in the air (it tastes mainly of a strange chemical flavor and salt, if you were curious).
Gotta love those ionic bonds.

-snip-
Is it just me or does the Zika stuff smell a bit like overexaggeration by the media as to its severity? I mean, obviously it's an absolutely godawful thing to get when pregnant (I seriously can't exaggerate this point) or your partner's pregnant, but from what I understand the microcephaly effects are only caused if you CATCH it when pregnant. Unless it somehow gets past your immune system, you shouldn't get reinfected after the first bout, so it shouldn't be some massive depopulation bomb like a lot of media outlets seem to make it out to be.
Like (each variety of) dengue and chikungunya, cathing zika once means you are immune forever. Yeah, I think it's an overexeggeration unless you/your partner is pregnant or is planning to be.

News outlets (local ones, I mean) even stopped talking about it after what it did was more or less understood. Also it's winter, I haven't seen a mosquito in months. It'll only go back to mosquito apocalypse levels in late november.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2016, 04:03:28 pm »

This is going to be the "Brazilians rant about Brazil" thread, I can taste it in the air (it tastes mainly of a strange chemical flavor and salt, if you were curious).

-snip-
Is it just me or does the Zika stuff smell a bit like overexaggeration by the media as to its severity? I mean, obviously it's an absolutely godawful thing to get when pregnant (I seriously can't exaggerate this point) or your partner's pregnant, but from what I understand the microcephaly effects are only caused if you CATCH it when pregnant. Unless it somehow gets past your immune system, you shouldn't get reinfected after the first bout, so it shouldn't be some massive depopulation bomb like a lot of media outlets seem to make it out to be.
Like (each variety of) dengue and chikungunya, cathing zika once means you are immune forever. Yeah, I think it's an overexeggeration unless you/your partner is pregnant or is planning to be.

News outlets (local ones, I mean) even stopped talking about it after what it did was more or less understood. Also it's winter, I haven't seen a mosquito in months. It'll only go back to mosquito apocalypse levels in late november.

*ahem* *waves from the northern hemisphere* Middle of summer up here, so, the media is making a big deal about it. It actually quieted down as some fears were allayed (and people were distracted by the election season), but it'll come back up again now that it's appeared in Florida somehow.

I wonder if Zika has some sort of reservoir host? besides humans.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2016, 04:04:12 pm »

-snip-

*ahem* *waves from the northern hemisphere* Middle of summer up here, so, the media is making a big deal about it. It actually quieted down as some fears were allayed (and people were distracted by the election season), but it'll come back up again now that it's appeared in Florida somehow.

I wonder if Zika has some sort of reservoir host? besides humans.
Well, the mosquitoes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2016, 04:18:32 pm »

The mosquitoes themselves host it, though it can be transmitted to apes, I've heard.

Anyway, the whole zika thing is pretty much exaggeration at this point. Zika is the least important thing someone who's going to the olympic should worry about, and research has already shown that br is far from being the only focus of activity for transmitter moskito. Florida has a warm and humid environment so, if it has spread around there, you guys are going to have a hard time until people develop immunity to it.

Anyway, zika, like its relatives, is a one shot wonder thing, once you get yourself cured you should be safe, and it only ever gets dangerous if left untreated for weeks.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:22:19 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2016, 11:52:46 am »

Basic pickpocket/scam tactic. Spill something (beer, hotdogs, in this case vomit) on the target's jacket/coat. Pretend to help clean the jacket or hold it while the target cleans it. While the target is distracted thinking about how to get this disgusting stuff off his expensive clothes, rummage through his pockets. Works better if you're in a group or pair where one is a rude spiller and another is a nice helper who comes to your aid.

I would hazard a guess that in this case there was one "spiller" who then distracted the target while another scammer made away with the luggage.
Love, scriver~

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2016, 02:43:47 am »

The Rio Olympics seem to be one of those rare cases where the people in charge are literally worse than Hitler.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »

Since there's no south 'murican thread, I'm gonna post it here. Br now officialy does not recognize Venezuela's leadership of Mercosul, due to the fact that not only did Uruguay not follow proper procedure in handling their step down from the position, but also because Venezuela (who was to be the current leader) didn't provide any proof or any info regarding its exports and financial status and isn't exactly very observant in regards to human rights since basically ever. Br is backed by Argentina and Paraguay, while Venezuela is only backed by Uruguay, who, mind you, has a very similar political leaning, to nobody's surprise.

Additionaly, Nicaragua is on the edge of becoming a Venezuela style dictatorship.

The question is: HUExit when?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 02:30:51 pm »

So this came out yesterday.

Rest assured, however - according to the article, Olympic officials had this to say:

We would never, ever risk the health or the condition of any athlete for a competition, said Mario Andrada, chief spokesman for the local Olympic organizing committee. "So the health of the athletes is our first priority. And the athletes don't run a risk sailing in Guanabara Bay.

Though to be fair, they said "sailing" and not "swimming".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2016, 02:50:28 pm »

Inb4 all Olympic athletes are disqualified because medication against the handful of nasty diseases they contracted are on the doping list.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2016, 05:03:52 pm »

Hasn't nearly every Olympics in the last couple decades been a humanitarian and financial disaster? At this point, you'd think countries would stop kneecapping themselves just for the prestige of letting some athletes do their sports for a couple days, then having a mostly useless stadium sitting around to be a reminder of the enormous debt and bad blood your country has created.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2016, 07:25:21 pm »

Borislympics were at least only a financial waste. Humanitarianly a bunch of industrial urban wasteland is now sporting facilities and tasteless park, which is a gain.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2016, 08:59:17 am »

Hasn't nearly every Olympics in the last couple decades been a humanitarian and financial disaster? At this point, you'd think countries would stop kneecapping themselves just for the prestige of letting some athletes do their sports for a couple days, then having a mostly useless stadium sitting around to be a reminder of the enormous debt and bad blood your country has created.
What if we went back to somewhere that already has a stadium?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 09:05:34 am »

They really shouldn't be giving the Olympics to cities that don't have the facilities. Chicago, for example, would do quite well thanks to the already-present stadiums, universities, and so on.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:07:10 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10