Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics  (Read 10797 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better not get a ticket to go watch the Olympics
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2016, 09:08:29 am »

Hasn't nearly every Olympics in the last couple decades been a humanitarian and financial disaster? At this point, you'd think countries would stop kneecapping themselves just for the prestige of letting some athletes do their sports for a couple days, then having a mostly useless stadium sitting around to be a reminder of the enormous debt and bad blood your country has created.
What if we went back to somewhere that already has a stadium?

No that makes too much sense. Why centralize the competition and use and build on the facilities that already exist, when we can start from scratch in a new location every single time and waste everyone's time and money?

And because the location is different every single time, there's a very subtle difference in Earth's gravity in every location, so the physical standard for each sport isn't even the same in every location.

It's all about that prestige. That blood stained and expensive prestige for your country, it's gotta be passed around or it isn't fair to the countries that haven't held the Olympics yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2016, 09:19:39 am »

They really shouldn't be giving the Olympics to cities that don't have the facilities. Chicago, for example, would do quite well thanks to the already-present stadiums, universities, and so on.
That's not the problem with this Olympic. Sure, they had to build facilities, but there were already quite a lot. The problems are these:
-City and State have no cash
-Pollution
-Crime

Note that I am not saying the Olympic here isn't a bad idea: it is. Just for different reasons than no stadiums or universities, 'cuz it has plenty of both.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2016, 09:33:24 am »

I don't see why they have to build individual stadiums for so many activities either.

Also mandatory reminder that all the "olympic games sponsor exclusive" deals means that the potential income from the games is lessened too.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2016, 10:54:43 am »

Ye, there are facilities, its just that the government DID insist on making a fair bit of new ones because of EMBEZZLEMENT OF PUBLIC MONEY WITH INFLATED CONSTRUCTION PRICES LOL.

Also rio is more broke than an ugly prostitute, both the city and the province, that is.

In other news, pokego got released here. LET CHAOS REIGN!

*sacrifices chinese athletes to slaanesh*
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2016, 11:08:30 am »

Let's demand that the next city is tranquility base. Some country is going to dump money into getting us into space.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2016, 05:02:42 pm »

Looks like a russian diplomatic official just disarmed and killed a robber in Rio.

Somebody give this guy a gold medal. Looks like someone's cheekis and got breeki'd.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2016, 05:19:00 pm »

Looks like a russian diplomatic official just disarmed and killed a robber in Rio.

Somebody give this guy a gold medal. Looks like someone's cheekis and got breeki'd.

"Diplomatic official" frequently means intelligence agent.

Also, if I mysteriously vanish or get cancer shortly after this, someone please take appropriate retribution.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2016, 05:58:11 pm »

Huh. I think there might be fuel for a John Carpenter movie from this.

In a town where emergency services have collapsed, ravenous gangs of highly armed criminals roam the streets and whole districts burn away into the night, can a lone surviving gold medalist shot putter from Iceland manage to ESCAPE FROM RIO?

Seriously though, Olympics be damned, I'm more concerned about the locals. Hope shit's not as grim as that image paints it.

Sounds like a solid prequel/&/or reboot to Escape from NY (if you can get around the premise the original was meant to happen in 1997)

Call in Kurt Russell/AKA Snake Plissken, a disgraced former olympic athlete for the USA turned self employed PMC (due to his outstanding physique and accuracy with javelin and claymore shooting), called in by the crooked local government to do a simple protection job with enough money to retire him from his PMC work. Its a job nobody else will touch, which is why they called in the best money could buy.

Disaster happens, chaos breaks loose as gangs come out in force to hold a entire stadium and city to ransom, with corrupt local media smearing his name as the perpetrator in a dramatic double cross with underlying subplot on how the olympic torch is used to hide the world-class highest grade cocaine worth killing for used only by the elite at the expense of common people and its a goal of the terrorists and anarchic local militia to get their hands on it and therefore seize power.

Snake ends up a figurative prisoner inside a 'free city' within the confines of the stadium and the densely populated and back-to-back slums surrounding him. Film ends with Snake escaping and the city being walled off as a reactionary last ditch effort given the local political collapse and breakdown of authority by Meso and North American peacekeeping corps, the first prison city of many.

But really uh back to RL talk, its a REALLY bad idea to go. Just watch it on TV, its much safer and pray that the athletes return safely from the hunger games events back home because they are sticking their necks out going to such a place on behalf of sport and our entertainment/culture.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2016, 06:04:51 pm »

I would watch that reboot in a heartbeat. Maybe have some trouble finding a new actor for Snake, though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2016, 06:25:55 pm »

In Olympic Rio, victim kills you!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2016, 06:31:02 pm »

cyka blyat rush gold

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2016, 06:37:21 pm »

I would watch that reboot in a heartbeat. Maybe have some trouble finding a new actor for Snake, though.

Why not try Wyatt Russell, Kurts son? He's in acting and professional hockey, so he'd have a good sports build (he's not built like a brick shithouse from photos from what i see but lean) and the facial build to play Snake, born in the 80's mind so this isn't exactly fresh faced snake but significantly younger closer to the original. My story is so cliche' but im sure that something good or atleast a modification of my story could emerge given writers (or something that's meant to be TOO modern and gets botched into a forgettable summer blockbuster flick).

Kurt could figuratively return to the role for a bit of fan-service given he's still active doing things like GotG2 right now or as a supporting character if he was really eager to get back in, its unfair to be ageist but having some non-plot hole structure helps.

Back to real talk, the team GB boat teams say they are happy with the water quality after testing it. I call BS, that river is messy as hell and its been shown before now that river pollution can only be masked rather than fixed in the given time lead up to the Olympics. Diplomats scary as hell, though its been reported (by the daily mail so meh) that its actually a brazilian representative TO russia rather than a direct russian diplomat. So no diplomatic fracas.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2016, 06:49:39 pm »

cyka blyat rush gold
One witness told how the mugger shouted, 'you've lost, hand over your watch' as he announced the robbery, before breaking the car window with his revolver. The diplomat turned to the mugger and said, 'No Stalker, you are already dead.' The mugger realized as he looked down, that indeed, he was already dead.
'AH NU CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE.' He said.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2016, 07:27:58 pm »

http://www.politico.eu/article/russia-will-do-what-it-wants-in-rio-olympic-games-brazil-ban-doping/

I guess the IOC is too corrupt or beholden to money to give a strong message to Russia...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2016, 09:01:16 pm »

As a brazilian, I would like to manifest my disgust with the Olympics as well.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10