Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 58

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 124641 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2017, 12:08:44 am »

Very configurable touchscreen overlays for keypresses and mouse buttons. And it's very user friendly (you can even throw game icons onto your android desktop if you want and one touch start them). And it works with damn near anything and runs them quickly (even fiddly stuff like Ultima 7).

I'm actually doing a fresh install of win95 to see if I can get the most recent version of DoomRL chugging along on it as we speak. Even just the onscreen right-click makes windows 95 doable under Magic Dosbox emulation (something that most dosboxes don't do). Turbo could, but Magic's what I've got and know how to use. Might try Turbo eventually, especially if its mouse pointer options are better than Magic's (a good absolute mouse would make some things SO much easier). It says it's experimental, so I don't know if this means it's working or not.

Turbo's got a bigger install base, which assuming you can share overlays, would be handier in general (why make an overlay if someone's already done it for you?).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:47:29 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2017, 07:34:32 am »

Lately I've been playing a lot of Downwell on my phone. It's an arcade shooter, but instead of controlling a space ship flying to the right, you control a little dude with gun-boots falling down a well, alternating between shooting enemies and stomping on their heads Mario-style to reload. The basic gameplay is really fun, and the designer manages to add a lot of depth to it with the other mechanics (health/money/items) without adding a lot of complication. It also has some roguelike elements.

I've also been playing Mini Metro, a minimalist puzzle game where you manage a rail system. I have the PC version, but recently I discovered that there's a mobile version as well and, as far as I can tell from some quick googling, it's a quality port. The gameplay consists pretty much entirely of drawing lines, which is even easier on a touchscreen than with a mouse, so it should control pretty perfectly on tablets. I'm not as sure about phones - the screen could potentially get pretty cramped later in the game when you have a lot going on. I'd check out some screenshots and consider how small that'd be on your phone screen.

Downwell and Mini Metro both cost a few bucks ($3 and $5 respectively, IIRC) but they will never ask you for more money, and they both have plenty of replayability. If you can grab them then I'd recommend it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2017, 08:07:44 am »

I got mini metro, it's quite good albeit a bit short to unlock all challenges, but still you get ton replayability. works well on ipad, so so on iphone when the zooming/crowding become an issue (but I've a old iphone so it has a smaller screen than current gen)

all in all it's a very fun coffee breaker.

(removed)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:55:00 pm by Toady One »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2017, 02:55:37 pm »

Hi!  Anybody involved -- please dial back the personal remarks a bit.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2017, 02:57:39 pm »

oh well I'll see myself to the door.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2017, 09:51:12 pm »

Fire Emblem: Heroes.

It's a thing - a pretty good thing at that.

Remember to wait until you've got twenty orbs before you start a summoning session - that'll save you 5 orbs if you'd just summoned once from each session.

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2017, 06:08:24 am »

So, someone ported cataclysm dda to android.
I know it has been mentioned in the cata topic, but just in case someone missed it.

The port works great on my phone, I am super happy about this one as I love cata and I only play on my phone nowadays (which means lots of searching for deep games through the sea of cash grab shallow games).
If anyone is interested it is in beta on google store, there's also a direct dl from the cata forum:  http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=14090.0
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:10:14 am by Aqma »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2017, 05:34:58 pm »

Got it working on my little 1gb ram Huwei G526-L22 with the Hodor tileset (ascii works fine too). Seems alright.

Admittedly, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing (never played Cataclysm before), but it can't be any worse than DF's adventure mode to pick up. The interface isn't too bad considering the huge amount of keybindings normally used in these games either. I've successfully killed a weasel and gotten killed by a fat zombie, so it "works" that well at least.

It's also incredibly well behaved, only needing 52kb on my phone, with the rest lumped onto my SD card. So it can happily reside here while I work it out. It looks to be quite deep and replayable. That's the side-loaded .apk, because the beta isn't available in Oz yet. It checks out as virus free and works, in case anyone was dubious of it.

Time to start reading that 90+ page thread on here a little further down.......
(ok, admittedly I learned nothing about cata:dda, but I did learn a fair bit about people's thoughts on spider-tanks vs tracks vs wheels. I probably should have expected that :) )
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:56:09 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2017, 07:44:55 pm »

Got it working on my little 1gb ram Huwei G526-L22 with the Hodor tileset (ascii works fine too). Seems alright.

Admittedly, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing (never played Cataclysm before), but it can't be any worse than DF's adventure mode to pick up. The interface isn't too bad considering the huge amount of keybindings normally used in these games either. I've successfully killed a weasel and gotten killed by a fat zombie, so it "works" that well at least.

It's also incredibly well behaved, only needing 52kb on my phone, with the rest lumped onto my SD card. So it can happily reside here while I work it out. It looks to be quite deep and replayable. That's the side-loaded .apk, because the beta isn't available in Oz yet. It checks out as virus free and works, in case anyone was dubious of it.

Time to start reading that 90+ page thread on here a little further down.......
(ok, admittedly I learned nothing about cata:dda, but I did learn a fair bit about people's thoughts on spider-tanks vs tracks vs wheels. I probably should have expected that :) )

It's a great game, however I'd strongly suggest turning on the 'classic zombies' mode and blacklisting all the crazy sci-fi stuff, especially when you're starting out. It gets rid of all the crazy netherworld/fungus/lovecraft creatures which are difficult to deal with and can insta-kill you when you're just starting out.

I much prefer it as a classic zombie game anyway, the tough/fat/soldier/whatever zombies (plus zombie hordes and NPCs) add enough of a challenge most of the time.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2017, 10:45:36 pm »

Happy enough that I randomed a character and got poison Kung-fu styles as my thingo. Haven't played him yet, and I went boring quick centipede, but hopefully I'll be able to hit the next fat zombie quicker than he can hit me :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 13, 2017, 02:37:46 am »

Hehe, glad it works sambojin, for me cata is one of the top games I have ever played.

Some tips that might help you get started:
- Most starts (unless you do an advanced one) spawn you in an evac shelter. If you go outside get a rock, come back in smash a bench you can then use the wood to make a 2by4 sword. This one has decent dmg and block (more survivability). You can also smash a locker to make a makeshift crowbar from a pipe, so it gets easier to open up doors/windows.
- If you customize your char at the beginning, you can select night vision from the positive traits. This combined with scavenging buildings at night can make for a more manageable start as you will see farther at night while zombies won't be able to see you - careful though as they can still home in on you by scent/noise.
- Be careful of encumbrance, if you foresee an imminent fight drop your backpacks directly (most items will also drop), but it will free you up fast.

In any case, I should stop here, I don't want to spoil it for you. This is an incredible game with so much depth.
If you do have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I am by no means an expert at it, but I have played for a bit so might be able to help out here or there.

Also some external sites that can help:
Wiki (as the old one is down, might be difficult to find), be careful with it though - some info might be out of date as the development pace is usually quite high: http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Item browser (for crafting): http://cdda-trunk.estilofusion.com/

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:42:09 am by Aqma »

MrStyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2017, 10:52:03 am »

Space Grunts.

Great little roguelike.  Turn based, but plays like a shooter.  Different guns.  Lots of enemies.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »

Anyone else try Shadowrun Returns on mobile? I'm enjoying the game overall, but there is one really big issue which is causing me problems: Even when I tap on buttons, my character tries to walk to where I tapped. For example, the menu button in the top-left: I tap it, the menu opens, but my character also walks all the way to the top-left. This is most problematic in combat: I tap to reload my weapon, and I lose a turn because my character also walks - and this being a tactical game, randomly moving somewhere I don't want to be can be deadly.

Looking at the google play page, it seems some bugs and such were fixed in the latest version, and saving anytime was added. But because I got my game in a Humble Bundle, it doesn't look like I have access to updates. If I can't find a way to fix this, it might make the game unplayable, which sucks, because I'm really enjoying it otherwise.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2017, 03:53:12 pm »

I don't know if Exiled Kingdom has been mentioned here yet, but it's a pretty interesting old-school RPG in an isometric style - all real time, and the controls are pretty decent.

Part of the joy is that it's so achingly 'standard RPG with no frills' - most mobile games always have stuff like base upgrading and resources you need to harvest (which in turn they can monetise) and all the rest, but this is just a isometric hack n' slash.

I played it on a 3 hour flight and the time just whizzed by. I can't imagine just sitting around playing it when I had other stuff to play, but as a time waster it's excellent.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2017, 04:58:49 pm »

Looking at the google play page, it seems some bugs and such were fixed in the latest version, and saving anytime was added. But because I got my game in a Humble Bundle, it doesn't look like I have access to updates. If I can't find a way to fix this, it might make the game unplayable, which sucks, because I'm really enjoying it otherwise.

I have the same bundle but haven't tried that particular game... That said, for updates, you might have to wait for the Humble Bundle folks to replace the apk on the downloads page with an updated version. They seem to have done so already for a couple of the other games in the bundle, but not that one as yet... sending them an email might possibly speed the process along, though.

Fakeedit: Actually, that update (1.2.6) seems to be from 2014, so either you should already have it or their version is REALLY out of date.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 58