Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Solar: a Transhuman Scifi RPG OOC [Started, waitlist open!]  (Read 16637 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Solar: a Transhuman Scifi RPG [Sign-ups!]
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2016, 06:45:49 pm »

Hmm, if no nonphysical shells, then what about more physical bodyswapping? Like removing your brain and placing it in an entirely new body? Obviously easier for an AI to physically remove their memory and transplant it, but also possible for organics.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2016, 06:58:20 pm »

Well, if this is anything like Eclipse Phase then such things should be quite possible.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2016, 07:05:53 pm »

Well, this looks cool, although I'm a bit late to the party, perhaps I'll be able to get a sheet up in time (don't... Like. Wait up. If you were planning on moving ahead soon though, sometimes it takes me fooooorever to actually make a sheet.)

I noticed you mentioned something about uplifted animals in a response to a  previous character sheet, is that actually like, a thing in the setting? I was thinking it might be cool to be an uplifted octopus (if those freaky deaky youtube videos are anything to go by there's not far to go with that really.) in some sort of mechanical 'above water' suit, but if that'd be like, too weird or awkward for a character concept I'll avoid it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:14:14 pm by Criptfeind »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2016, 07:20:35 pm »

Well, this looks cool, although I'm a bit late to the party, perhaps I'll be able to get a sheet up in time (don't... Like. Wait up. If you were planning on moving ahead soon though, sometimes it takes me fooooorever to actually make a sheet.)

I noticed you mentioned something about uplifted animals in a response to a  previous character sheet, is that actually like, a thing in the setting? I was thinking it might be cool to be an uplifted octopus (if those freaky deaky youtube videos are anything to go by there's not far to go with that really.) in some sort of mechanical 'above water' suit, but if that'd be like, too weird or awkward for a character concept I'll avoid it.

Well, in Eclipse Phase (not this, but similiar) uplifted octopi are modified to be able to live out of water (and are somewhat larger than actual octopi for all those new organs and brain matter).
Remember that an octopus would see things fundamentally different than a mammal. Eclipse Phase actually discusses that a bit - the different personality traits of the various kinds of uplifts.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2016, 07:42:29 pm »

How do you write backgrounds of such length?
Personally, I read the lore in depth, then I wonder 'what would I have done if I were at a time during then'. So this kind of association/attribution, and free thinking gets me in a time and space where I could suitably, definitively, go along the reasoning of many people during that time--you get to fill in those spaces with your own reasoning, and the GM can mostly (silently) pick up on that kind of thinking when reading biographies and the like. I'll still be editing my sheet because its rusty, but I'm going to try to make an in-game idea on why there's such a DISPARITY of humanity's efforts to save itself. :P

Personally, assuming the background--that would have to begin with a very subtle beginning, or either a continuation of lack in regards to 'we got into space together! \o/ ...but then looted our ancestors @_@', so its like either a manifestation of both moral extremes living within a light-year of each other, or...well, you can see that space for creative input. :P

E:
How do you write backgrounds of such length?

I dunno about Tiruin (you are possibly referring to her, since she wrote plenty as well)[...]
I read this as a compliment. :-[ :P Yay I'm still tired at 8:45am! x~X
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:54:24 pm by Tiruin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2016, 08:08:56 pm »

Added a bit more to my sheet.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2016, 08:24:54 pm »

Well, my sheet probably needs more on it to actually even have a chance of getting in, what with all these skilled players joining ;-;.

Hooray, for writing huge paragraphs in an attempt to make up for my  bad character designs.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2016, 08:34:36 pm »

Well, my sheet probably needs more on it to actually even have a chance of getting in, what with all these skilled players joining ;-;.

Hooray, for writing huge paragraphs in an attempt to make up for my  bad character designs.
Don't just spam words; that doesn't make a more interesting character, just a more wordy one.

Instead, think of your character's objectives, desires, and personality - the important parts and small parts that add more life to it. Think of their likes and dislikes. WHy do they hold their views? What are the fundamental experiences that shape their life?

It's relatively easy to add fake depth symbology to your character. Does your character want to find something? Well, give them fancy eyes, either actual traits or simply a motif.

Think of a theme to your character, and grow from that. Interesting characters are interesting, even if they don't have a 500 word blurb describing their every detail.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2016, 09:02:25 pm »

Interesting!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edited it a bit. Hopefully sounds better now?
When in doubt, use puns.
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
that's pretty gay

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2016, 02:01:15 am »

Spoiler: Dwarmin's Sheet (click to show/hide)

Looks good to me! You sure you don't want to go Operative-Destroyer or Operative-Hardened? Your background sounds like it could support both.

Posting for future sheet!
This is still open, aye? :-X :-[

Aye! Looking forward to your app.
The 'Remnants' and italicized ideas for the first two under "Outsolars/Silents/Echoes" lack a description :O Could I ask about those?
Spoiler: Sheet done (click to show/hide)

@DigitH: I'm probably going to edit this later on since it was typed early in the morning (haha 2:32am as of this writing X~x) but is this legibly ok?

Do you have any specific questions about Remnants? The italicized text are sort of meta-comments when needed, and I didn't see any real need for those on the Remnants. Also, Outsolars, Silents and Echoes are just different names for the same thing - 'Silents' and 'Echoes' come from how their stations, arks, colonies, etc. generally don't respond to communications or only show up as odd blips or 'echoes' on scans.

Your app is generally good, but a little... unclear at points. Could you elaborate on the 'augmentations' she has - are they like mental conditioning and training without the aid of any technology (which would make you an oddity among the Orbitals)? Are they biological changes - gene-modding, artificial glands and organs, changes to brain chemistry etc.? It's your last paragraph that's particularily confusing - what do you mean by external/innate augmentation here if not biological or mechanical implants?

[Is it possible to focus particularly on Operative but on the theme of 'Can brave harsh elements a bit more but not particularly 'duel classed into Hardened' here? So it's like 80% Operative, 20% Hardened-in-navigate-difficult-terrain-and-partly-have-a-chance-in-extreme-environments <<< Also aiming for more 'technology/external augmentation//innate augmentation/mental training rather than bio/mechanical implants]

In this case, you could focus on Operative and just get a few Hardened augs 'free of charge' thanks to your background. That'd mean missing out on a powerful combo aug, though, but it might be worth it. Your background kinda sounds like it'd fit an Operative-Thinker too, though, but it's your choice.

Hmm, if no nonphysical shells, then what about more physical bodyswapping? Like removing your brain and placing it in an entirely new body? Obviously easier for an AI to physically remove their memory and transplant it, but also possible for organics.

Don't get me wrong - 'virtual demons' that bodyswap constantly between different shells is very much a thing in this setting. It's the ease of switching that would pose a serious balance issue. Not happy with your augs and setup? Just take over someone who's better for the situation! You're about to die? Well, just flee to another available body, no problem. What's that, you just made everyone else in the game irrelevant? Whoops.

As a note, you can play people for who death is cheap - mind-state uploads, clone backups, emergency body-shifts, what have you, but generally you'll go back on the waitlist if that's the case. It'd be a bit unfair for the waitlisters if you were mechanically immortal too!

That said, there are some limitations I can think of that could make it balanced-ish/cool, or then a version of the concept where the changing is more difficult - either physically removing the brain or a demanding uploading/installation process. Make an app and I'll see what I think!

I'll start the game earliest tonight (it's morning for me atm), so you have quite a bit of time. And yes, uplifts are a thing. They are either 'just' given enhanced brain capacity and sapience, or reshaped wholesale and filled to the brim with augmentation - so your octopus could be able to survive out of water just fine, but a suit works too. The Solar System has plenty of cool places for augmented aquatics, by the way - Dwarmin's Enceladus has a full-on subsurface ocean, if you're willing to share a home with a bunch of regressed maniacs. Ganymede also has a vast, vast internal ocean - actually, several ocean layers separated by ice, it's kinda cool. There are other options, too, and of course various ships and stations you could think up. Feel free to read upon them and see if inspiration hits ye.

---

@Dwarmin, Tiruin and GiglameshDespair have good thoughts on the Art of App-Writing. Listen.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:48 am »

[Is it possible to focus particularly on Operative but on the theme of 'Can brave harsh elements a bit more but not particularly 'duel classed into Hardened' here? So it's like 80% Operative, 20% Hardened-in-navigate-difficult-terrain-and-partly-have-a-chance-in-extreme-environments <<< Also aiming for more 'technology/external augmentation//innate augmentation/mental training rather than bio/mechanical implants]

In this case, you could focus on Operative and just get a few Hardened augs 'free of charge' thanks to your background. That'd mean missing out on a powerful combo aug, though, but it might be worth it. Your background kinda sounds like it'd fit an Operative-Thinker too, though, but it's your choice.
I am so tempted to ask what are the specifics here. :P
Shifting to Operative Thinker now that I'm partially more rested [but still unbearably tired]. And re-written my bio in the same post in a 'just for fun detail' style. xD

Your games get me into writing. :-[ :'(

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2016, 03:30:38 am »

Interesting!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
OK, final edit this time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:36:47 am by DigitalDemon »
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2016, 04:09:35 am »

@Dwarmin, are you sure you don't want to go for an Operative-Destroyer? It seems like it might fit your background better (or Operative-Hardened - but then all Remnants are 'Hardened' to some extent, so you're getting those survival augs no matter what). It's your choice, but dual-classing would give me an excuse to hand you some fancier murder toys. A girl's gotta have her murder toys.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2016, 04:15:53 am »

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:29:45 am by Egan_BW »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2016, 04:20:35 am »

@Digital Hellhound Did you accept my updated sheet?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15