Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 67

Author Topic: Omega legion: The Satyr's Entourage  (Read 69561 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega legion: The Satyr's Entourage
« Reply #570 on: May 20, 2016, 05:22:59 am »

((Well.  I'm not speaking for everybody, but I honestly don't have a clue what to do most of the time so it's nice to be able to take orders from someone that does.

And what Twinwolf said.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 20, 2016, 03:48:55 pm »

((I don't have any problem with your command, and I think you've been doing a good job.  Leaders are good; they keep everyone together and with a purpose.  I think the lack of a real leader was what caused so many people to drop from the Merc mission.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 20, 2016, 04:11:57 pm »

Welp, everyone else is uselessly caught up in another little spectacle, so Dar'll have to bite the bullet.  Ask, loudly, what the problem is.   Stay a safe distance away, and cast toughening buffs too.

Oh hey!  Teammates are done with their thing.  Continue stealthily watching.
You ... darn, I had something fun in mind. ah well, this roll will just go to the next player in line then. You sit casually at a small distance from teh commotion and lick a paw to relieve stress.

Noir entwines her tail with your own smile matching to meet yours her eyes darting over you trying to properly memorize?
"I already feel excited."
nope. you can try, but mine isn't sitting still for that.
"Lead the way Aylia!"
"Well, we're going to need to work in shifts so that someone is active at all times in all areas. Um, Eye, since you are an exception to that and are great at spotting things that are hiding, could you keep watch on the no-mans-land surrounding the place the rivers meet? If someone ignorant wanders in, please tell them to leave, but if they're being sneaky about it or refuse to leave after you warn them, then notify me immediately. Fiddler, Ebony, you two seem tired right now, how about you both get some rest now so you'll be fresh in the morning. Noir, lets go help Dar."
I head towards the commotion to learn what's going on.
"Oh, um, Eye? could you also keep watch on the marsh and ceremony area until we can get back there? make sure traffic doesn't get out of hand please."
You see the two groups mentioned above. You notice numerous battle scars on various individuals from each side. This is a couple of hardened groups. Any conflict will likely be serious. And it seems to be intensifying.

Follow! And make sure nothing sneaks up on us.
you follow along, jumping and turning around to peer into the woods at random intervals, Peaking into bushes and shouting "aha!" every now and then, disappointed not to catch some artful dodger lurking there. You very nearly walk right into the midst of the clashing crowds.

>Follow Aylia's orders.
Please, Please remember that I don't necessarily read the flavor text of people's posts. If following an order, state what that order is. Otherwise, ima start just stickign your eyeball like glue to Aylia's back. Nothing wrong with following orders, just make sure your friendly neighborhood SpiderGM knows what the heck is going on.

Anyway, you take up sentry duty at the no-man's land, floating along placidly in the middle, between the boundary and the woods, and out ver each river in turn. The merfolk sure swim prettily, or gracefully, or efficiently or something. You notice a few of them go in and out of the river based boundary of the forbidden zone. Others keep their distance entirely. You make careful note of which do what.

You chase a few rabbits and squirrels  back to the woods, just in case, when a small gang of halflings walk out of hte woods a short distance away, and stop in a gaggle. A couple whisper and point at you, and a few others look around with curiosity, eyes gleaming when they see the mystery that is the Forbidden Zone.

((I'm trying to not tell everyone what to do always but it feels like that's happening anyway. I've been trying to give pplz every opportunity to take the initiative, but when I see a ton of actions that are "do what I was told to do" it feels like I've failed. Do people feel like I'm being constraining or controlling or something like that? Is there something I can do that will let people take the initiative more?))
You have two players who have been content the entire game - both missions - to do just this - follow along and do what they are told and otherwise hang in the background. Dar and fiddler tend to follow the plan and act when necessary, and ATH, well ... ;)
So yeah, you are doing fine. Also, similar happend on ER M23 and even more on M26 with several of the players for similar reasons.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 20, 2016, 05:43:57 pm »

She steps back in surprise before in a slightly alarmed tone but still comforting.
"Whoa whoa please calm down and please tell us what's going on."
Calm them down with my words and get them to tell me the problem.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 20, 2016, 06:03:25 pm »

Sneak a bit closer to Noir, and cast generic combat buffs.  So end, dex, and str.

...Y'know, I've never really asked how buffs work, despite both my chars relying fairly heavily on them.  Do you have a codified system you could describe?  I've been assuming casting a simple dex buff would buff dex three times as much as buffing dex, str, and end, and both spells would cost the same mana.  And I think it's been stated that keeping buffs active continually drains mana, which is why Dar doesn't do so.  Is my understanding correct?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 20, 2016, 07:09:14 pm »

I observe how Noir handles the situation, letting her take the lead on what we do.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 21, 2016, 10:11:12 am »

>"Warning.  This area is forbidden to all but approved personnel due to life-threatening dangers to those not versed in specific safety procedures.

Please turn back, or we will take all necessary efforts to prevent your entry and death.  Violent measures have been approved as deterrents."
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 21, 2016, 02:05:58 pm »

She steps back in surprise before in a slightly alarmed tone but still comforting.
"Whoa whoa please calm down and please tell us what's going on."
Calm them down with my words and get them to tell me the problem.
You smile and begin speaking softly to get their attention, but at first they either ignore you, or glance at you and shy away as if you are an unexpected threat, or at least an awkward bystander. You raise your voice for attention though, both adding to the mix, and altering it, ever so slightly. very gradually, attention drifts toward you, while hte groups kinda organically move slightly away from you in a sort of arc.

Sneak a bit closer to Noir, and cast generic combat buffs.  So end, dex, and str.

...Y'know, I've never really asked how buffs work, despite both my chars relying fairly heavily on them.  Do you have a codified system you could describe?  I've been assuming casting a simple dex buff would buff dex three times as much as buffing dex, str, and end, and both spells would cost the same mana.  And I think it's been stated that keeping buffs active continually drains mana, which is why Dar doesn't do so.  Is my understanding correct?

I do not have a codified system. I base the buffs on a) your character and the intentions behind it, b) the situation, c) how much you have done in the recent rounds, d)the complexity and number of actions you take (I am a little harder than PW here, I think), e) specificity and f) my own, lazy, capricious whim. Oh, and of course g)overall fun.

a) This character, being a cat with cat based magic, was intended to be mostly self buffing with cat oriented buffs, and you stick with that pretty regularly (speed, make me look frightening, etc), so it hasn't been a problem except with "toughness." Therefore in this situation, I am going to interpret this as one big "cat fight buff".
b) the situation is stable for you, - you are calm, out of the fight, have clear line of sight, etc - so no negatives there.
c) the last period of time has been calm, though it is dark by now andyou guys have been going all in game day, so a bit tired, but magically okay - not at peak though.
d) You want three separate stats bumped. If I were to bump all three by one, that'd be con - 1 to 2, dex, -1 to 0, and str, 0 t o1, which would be four level ups worth of bump.
in order for you to do this much, it would drain you completely and make you worthless for an extended time. (I am assuming that is not what you are going for here thogh) Alternatively, you could buff one roll for one of them and remain in the fight, or buff all of them for one roll, and need to sleep a solid cat's day's sleep and eat a good meal before doing more than minor magic again.
e) you want a very vague buff here -and to be honest, most of your "buff other" actions and one or two in the last encounter have been vague. I usually respond to these rather vaguely, so it hasn't been a real issue. but in this case, the vagueness mixes with the other criteria and makes for a more complicated thing. I could lump it all into "cat fight buff" which starts with "making her look bigger so they don't want to fight her."
f) I am well rested, alert, and giving this better attention than I have in a while, so my whim favors you today.
g) Gosh, I nearly typed a whole essay on 'fun' just now.

I think that codifies it pretty nicely, and will now add this to my folder for future use. I am even going to put it in the OP, I think. (in fact, I did, before finishing this post)

I observe how Noir handles the situation, letting her take the lead on what we do.
Well, she's turning on the charm, and, unlike poor Reggie, who wold be getting pummeled right now for saying "HI. I think you guys are just swell" she seems to be doing okay. Must be her mother's influence. This time.

>"Warning.  This area is forbidden to all but approved personnel due to life-threatening dangers to those not versed in specific safety procedures.

Please turn back, or we will take all necessary efforts to prevent your entry and death.  Violent measures have been approved as deterrents."

The whole group of them literally jumps wen you begin broadcasting in a loud, metallic voice. The don't seem to be hearing the specific words, but they are staring, huddling, and backing up as you talk, hovering closer to them. the curiosity and mischief in their countenance is gone, replaced with skittish fear and doubt.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 21, 2016, 02:49:06 pm »

Hmm.  Okay, thanks for that!  I hadn't expected a three-stat buff to be so expensive, but it does make sense.  Dar's just casting a relatively minor spell as insurance in case things go poorly, so... str +1, I guess?  Only one levelup, so cheap.

Ah, one last question: How long would that tri-stat buff last, and how much would it drain mana over time?  Is it the sort of thing that Dar could cast in the morning, and maintain through the day, at the cost of not really having mana left over for other stuff?  Or is it only good for a couple hours?  A single fight, perhaps?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 21, 2016, 03:08:53 pm »

>"I repeat, please depart, or things will go poorly.  We do not wish violence to occur.  Neither do you."
Sigtext

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 21, 2016, 03:19:35 pm »

"soo now that I have your attention tell me what's going on?"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:40:32 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 21, 2016, 03:39:17 pm »

I watch and wait.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 23, 2016, 06:13:12 pm »

Hmm.  Okay, thanks for that!  I hadn't expected a three-stat buff to be so expensive, but it does make sense.  Dar's just casting a relatively minor spell as insurance in case things go poorly, so... str +1, I guess?  Only one levelup, so cheap.

Ah, one last question: How long would that tri-stat buff last, and how much would it drain mana over time?  Is it the sort of thing that Dar could cast in the morning, and maintain through the day, at the cost of not really having mana left over for other stuff?  Or is it only good for a couple hours?  A single fight, perhaps?
That kind of buff would last a single combat, and would render you pretty exhausted for up to a few days, depending on rolls, since you would be investing pretty heavily in the other character. I should make similar restrictions for the knife, but probably less stringent, since it is designed for that. Or maybe require it to draw power from elsewhere.

The buff you have cast works fine, and you can maintain this one as long as you are not concentrating on something else.

>"I repeat, please depart, or things will go poorly.  We do not wish violence to occur.  Neither do you."
Their ears visibly droop, and they turn and slink away looking for more entertaining and less disturbing experiences.

"soo now that I have your attention tell me what's going on?"
"Stay out of it, wanderer." Says one of the spiky ones. ""And you stay out of our place!" Yells one of the tree hugging ones, leaping to a tree nearby. Most of the rest continue bickering and moving about, but a few begin to arrange themselves near these two.

I watch and wait.
the fight seems to be breaking into two pieces - one going on as it was before, and the other concentrated around the two beings closest to the new girl.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:58 pm »

Aylia>Successfully dissuaded a group of halflings from entering the Forbidden Zone.  Query:Are merpeople forbidden from entering?

>Resume surveillance.
Sigtext

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 23, 2016, 06:27:37 pm »

Noir's  tail flicks agitated and in a harsh and commanding tone merciless  and cruel leaving no doubt that she is serious.
"Stop fighting now it is my responsibility now to stop this kinda thing so everyone calm down!
Loud and clear tell them to stop fighting.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 67