Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Federation of Malaysia Design Bureau Thread (5 Engineers)  (Read 13200 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Federation of Malaysia Design Bureau Thread (4 Engineers)
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2016, 07:10:50 pm »

Diameter maybe, it's the length of the round which is the real kicker.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2016, 07:36:45 pm »

I was just assuming it was the same as this thing. The bullet is still bigger, 15mm for the .225 vs 12.7mm for the 5.56. Combined with the greater muzzle velocity, this ought to have slightly more stopping power, probably at a slight cost of stability over long ranges.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2016, 08:10:21 pm »

Actually, it'd have less muzzle velocity, given the smaller cartridge on it. So it'd be less effective than the 5.56mm, but more effective than the 5.45mm.

Well, I think I'd have to agree with UR in that it would actually make a pretty good Paratrooper round, but we are going to have to ensure the troops using it get the proper training to ensure they use it effectively.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2016, 01:22:23 am »

Nevermind :) I did wrong math in this post

To post something useful.
Next turn I am tempted to get missiles, radar or helicopters for new tech but getting something cheap for logistics is rather important, too. Transport helicopters are interesting for logistics but this mean +1 to the cost....

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:51:17 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2016, 07:21:46 pm »

Maybe suggest something with two of the three then?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2016, 07:36:16 pm »

We could go for radar equipped SAM launchers, maybe, but with propeller planes still dominating I'm not sure how useful those would be in the immediate term. Or maybe a small attack helicopter with a heavy machinegun and a couple of AT missiles.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2016, 08:03:31 pm »

We could go for radar equipped SAM launchers, maybe, but with propeller planes still dominating I'm not sure how useful those would be in the immediate term.
I assumed we were talking active radar homing tech, rather than anti-radiation missiles. The former would be useful regardless of whether or not the target has radar.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2016, 09:19:50 pm »

That makes more sense, though now that I think about it, are either of those things possible without fairly decent computers? The only period solutions I can find for missile targeting use complicated systems of accelerometers and gyros (and are only useful for ground to ground missiles) or use extremely expensive ground based radio guidance systems.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2016, 12:53:49 am »

That makes more sense, though now that I think about it, are either of those things possible without fairly decent computers? The only period solutions I can find for missile targeting use complicated systems of accelerometers and gyros (and are only useful for ground to ground missiles) or use extremely expensive ground based radio guidance systems.
Last I heard we were in 1950 so yeah, we'd be pioneers if we did have AAMs that actually worked well. According to wikipedia a model of AAM was first widely adopted by the US in 1955. It's entirely up to the GM though.

Edit: Personally I love history, but I also think it's a pain in the ass to let it completely tie down our decisions in a design bureau game.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:56:47 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2016, 02:46:54 am »

Guys, you are ignoring game mechanics here.

New tech: radar
New tech: missiles
New tech: radar guidance
+3 expense levels before resource cost
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2016, 02:54:34 am »

Rockets themselves wouldn't be a new technology in 1950, nor would radar, nor would the idea of a guided missile (V-2 rockets). Arguably only the application of radar as a form of guidance for specifically a rocket (radar-controlled anti-aircraft guns were common late in WW2) would be a new technology. So only one expensive level before resources.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2016, 02:56:19 am »

Rockets themselves wouldn't be a new technology in 1950, nor would radar, nor would the idea of a guided missile.

It is not new technology for the world. It is new technology for our nation. Look at our jet for example.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2016, 03:03:30 am »

That's true. Well then I would argue for just basic radar detection to start. You can put that on everything. Ground installations, boats, planes. Radar is chocolate frosting.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2016, 04:25:24 am »

I prefer to do boring but practical design next turn

Something like:

Some name
Simple two-engined half-wooden transport aircraft optimized for reliability, easy maintenance and cheap production cost. Can land on almost any flat surface. Can act as glider if necessary.
[vehicle, medium, general, 1 ore, 2 oil]

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2016, 05:31:52 am »

We already have a large transport plane. What's your argument for a smaller transport plane?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15