Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100817 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #1110 on: July 08, 2016, 03:33:46 pm »

It's called beam, not plasma or plasma-beam. So it's a bit silly to complain about the speed the plasma goes when we don't even know if it involves plasma at all, ain't it?
Well, they are the same aliens as XCOM 1, who used plasma weapons, they both fire green energy... and they are called plasma weapons in the game itself, so chances are decent they involve plasma. :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: July 08, 2016, 05:23:17 pm »

The method used to create lasers, Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, indeed does not work for anything but photons.

With regard to the speed of things, it's worth noting that mag-weapon slugs in-game move far too slowly for a worthwhile magnetic acceleration weapon, and plasma would move more quickly than even the true velocity of such a system, being of much lower mass, and requiring a somewhat rarified atmosphere to be accelerated through at any rate.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: July 08, 2016, 05:24:44 pm »

The method used to create lasers, Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, indeed does not work for anything but photons.

With regard to the speed of things, it's worth noting that mag-weapon slugs in-game move far too slowly for a worthwhile magnetic acceleration weapon, and plasma would move more quickly than even the true velocity of such a system, being of much lower mass, and requiring a somewhat rarified atmosphere to be accelerated through at any rate.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: July 08, 2016, 05:32:54 pm »

Fairly sure you can't exactly 'lase' plasma. Cuz lasers are light/photons, y'know?

@Gigla: Yah, but didn't someone say that lasers cause plasma on the spot they hit?
That was you who said that...

The weapons have been plasma in XCOM 1. They are called plasma weapons in game. Lasers are never mentioned.

I think you're reading far too much into a stylistic choice, but you seem to have convinced yourself.

AFAIK, beam-plasma is actually somewhat more likely to work than glob-plasma. Basically just make an electromagnetic tunnel for a fraction of a second, and release a burst of high-energy plasma along it during that time. Globs, on the other hand, need some kind of complicated self-sustaining containment field as they fly, which while theoretically possible, is pretty weird.

Something that may be of interest to you is MARAUDER.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 08, 2016, 05:46:20 pm »

I have heard of that, but had previously gotten the impression that it was cripplingly impractical.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: July 08, 2016, 08:03:38 pm »

@Gigla: Yah, but didn't someone say that lasers cause plasma on the spot they hit?

I'm pretty sure I was involved with that. High-energy lasers can indeed cause the material around the impact point to vaporize into plasma, which then explodes and damages the surrounding material. This varies wildly based upon the energy of the laser and resistance of the material, and I doubt you'd ever call the weapon anything other than a laser, or, more accurately, whatever the colloquial term for a laser has become in-setting, LASER not necessarily being a universal acronym for the technology.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 08, 2016, 08:32:15 pm »

We are a couple steps closer to Star Wars if MARAUDER actually works.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 08, 2016, 08:50:15 pm »

Correction:It was cool while it lasted.  :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 09, 2016, 05:14:26 pm »

When I said that it would be possible to 'lase' the plasma I meant that the plasma itself could be used as a medium to generate a laser, not that the plasma would be projected as a laser.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: July 09, 2016, 05:33:03 pm »

I imagine that could work, yes.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 04, 2016, 04:02:52 pm »

.....you people kept using it
*wipes tears from eyes*
I'm so proud
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 04, 2016, 04:49:42 pm »

*wipes tears from eyes*
I'm so proud

:D

In other news, I've been thinking about missiles in advanced settings.
Past a certain point in orbital development, ship-to-ship missiles start to either get very useless, or require their own torch engines, and the latter is very expensive, especially if you can't guarantee a hit.  My thought as such is to have the majority of weapons be non-self propelled, either kinetic impactors or beam weapons, but have very large vessels mount a few "Torpedos" if you will, effectively small torch-ships with their entire payload mass full of warhead. These wouldn't so much be "missiles" as skinny cutters with unpleasant attitudes and extremely nihilistic AIs. They'd be equipped with very high yield warheads, and both have very smart guidance systems and extremely large areas of effect. They would likely even have their own point defenses or force fields, if the latter exist in setting.

Additionally, in a setting taking place after a large scale war with such weapons, unused torpedos with the warheads removed might become available on the civilian market as comparatively inexpensive milspec spacecraft with amusingly overpowered engines.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 04, 2016, 05:06:33 pm »

*wipes tears from eyes*
I'm so proud

Past a certain point in orbital development, ship-to-ship missiles start to either get very useless, or require their own torch engines, and the latter is very expensive, especially if you can't guarantee a hit.  My thought as such is to have the majority of weapons be non-self propelled, either kinetic impactors or beam weapons, but have very large vessels mount a few "Torpedos" if you will, effectively small torch-ships with their entire payload mass full of warhead. These wouldn't so much be "missiles" as skinny cutters with unpleasant attitudes and extremely nihilistic AIs. They'd be equipped with very high yield warheads, and both have very smart guidance systems and extremely large areas of effect. They would likely even have their own point defenses or force fields, if the latter exist in setting.

Additionally, in a setting taking place after a large scale war with such weapons, unused torpedos with the warheads removed might become available on the civilian market as comparatively inexpensive milspec spacecraft with amusingly overpowered engines.

I suppose it depends.
I have no idea how hard science you want to go.

One thing you could otherwise have is the missiles are fired at high velocities from the spaceship and then use the rocket to accelerate and steer towards the enemy craft. The main velocity is already from being fired down a railgun or whatever - the missile adds a bit more accel and steering.
When it comes down to it any area of effect is pretty small compared to the area.

That said, the idea of a spaceship just being a converted missile is pretty amusing (and not too far from the early days of rocketry, one supposes).

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 04, 2016, 05:38:56 pm »

I agree with the above. But, considering the take on warfare as seen above, would Battlestar-esque warship be viable? I am aware this has little to do with the OP, but I just want to generate conversation.
s
Also, railguns. Purely short range weapon in space, assuming no guided rounds. I would suggest using massive numbers of high power lasers to melt through critical places in armor at long range and then closing in for the kill with rails. Torps would be a heavy weapon in this scenario.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 04, 2016, 06:18:23 pm »

Lasers lose strength as they travel, so in order to be that powerful at long range, it would be better than rails at short.
My mistake. I was a foolish fool.

Guided weapons are the only really optimal long ranged weapon in space as far as I can see, then, assuming reasonable railgun speeds. Perhaps long range engagements would be fought with smaller craft away from the main ship (I.E, a Battlestar, as previously mentioned.)
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 91