Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 91

Author Topic: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas  (Read 100808 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical weapons (Burn all the things!) and other ideas
« Reply #1095 on: June 28, 2016, 10:26:49 am »

Actually, wouldn't a red sun be more helpful for "red photosynthesis"?

The youth of the planet now is making me think this is the first species which got here, unless it actually is a red sun which, I think (but am pretty astronomically ignorant) requires an old sun, which might be mutually exclusive with a young world...

No, blue sun -> red plants. The color you see in photosynthesizing organisms is the light that they don't absorb. On Earth, the sun doesn't emit much light in the green part of the spectrum so plants focus on other wavelengths like red and blue.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 28, 2016, 10:40:15 am »

Oh yeah. Managed to get that backwards somehow.
So, young sun, young world, somehow spacefaring race.
But that can be lampshaded with "The world anemone told them how"

Edit: Oh god I only just found out it's aNeMoNe no aNeNoMe. I'm having to re-learn how to say a word like a five-year-old this is incredible and also sucks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:09:09 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 01, 2016, 06:57:16 pm »

So, in a thing I'm working on, the world is polluted beyond hope. A project is created to ferry a breeding population to colonize Mars. However, the ship's construction was rushed due to the desperate circumstances and an unreliable outsource company. The mission fails due to a mundane fault, leaving the ship stranded thousands of miles from rescue.

I've looked up spaceship accidents but most of those were during re-entry or wouldn't result in a stranding. I don't know much about rockets, but I know someone who does... Hi, Bay12!

So, what would be a stupidly simple way for such an important operation to fail? The more ironic the better.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 01, 2016, 07:09:41 pm »

Honestly? Just have the engine break partway through the burn to mars. With part of an interplanetary trajectory already gained, you'd be trapped on a meandering path among the worlds. Not a lot you can do about a catastrophic failure in most major types of engine. Refer to this page for interesting failure modes.

Lots of powerful near term engines have the ability to fail badly with comparatively minor faults in construction. A single flaw in production of massively expensive fused quartz glass while building a nuclear lightbulb, leaving a less-than-perfectly transparent section of reaction chamber housing to rapidly build up massive amounts of heat and melt, for instance.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 01, 2016, 08:11:00 pm »

As long as you're not then trapped in a flying nuclear coffin.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 01, 2016, 08:14:53 pm »

Well that's all but unavoidable if a bigass engine goes out. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 02, 2016, 06:38:33 am »

Before launch, the ship's computer gets infected by a botnet. Shortly after the interplanetary burn starts, but before earth is out of view, all the computer systems go out.
Now everyone is trapped on a fully-functional spaceship, but no idea where they are, as they watch earth slowly recede...

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 02, 2016, 11:15:55 am »

'After numerous delays, budget deficits and complains about terrible coffee, we finally launched successfully! We could see the blue sky turn black, and started our burn to leave Earth's gravity and put us on course to out new home.
It was near the end of that burn however that our luck ran out and the worst happened. Our board computer, which was running a dated version of Microsoft Windows, rebooted for updates. It did not shut down the engine, no that would have been something we could recover from. It kept the engine burning. Way longer than it should have.
We are now on a course way past Mars. There is just enough fuel to correct our course back to Mars but not enough to actually decelerate and land in way that doesn't leave a crater. Currently the crew, mission control and our shareholders are debating whether or not we can sue Microsoft into funding a rescue mission, or whether we should just go with becoming a crater on Mars.'
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 02, 2016, 02:50:42 pm »

Maybe something about the challenges of getting right bitness for your compiler?

That, or a variation on the classic Imperial/metric conversion bug.

A significant contributor to the Apollo 13 disaster was a sensor that could detect that an oxygen bottle was too hot but didn't differentiate between too hot (80F) and way too hot (1000F).  There was a point in prep that it was expected to get "too hot" but it actually got "way too hot" and damaged the wiring.  Compromised wire insulation in a 100% oxygen environment, you do the math.

Of course, don't copy the Apollo issue directly, that would look lazy.  But smart people can overlook simple things.  Maximum irony would be a failure type that had been obsessed over in past missions but was never an actual issue.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 03, 2016, 05:16:04 pm »

Thanks for your contributions, guys! They are all wonderful and that blog in particular looks very handy. The idea of a fully functional spaceship being unusable by the crew is very intriguing, but the antimatter engine problems sound fun... Ooh, the choices.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 05, 2016, 12:46:02 pm »

In XCOM 2, are the plasma weapons really laser weapons, with the plasma explosions caused by the lasers making it called plasma? Or is it just SCIENCEY PLASMA!

(wasn't sure where to put this)

In EU the description given is
This modified assault rifle fires a jet of ionized gas through a focused magnetic field — an extremely effective plasma-based weapon.

And I somehow doubt they changed it for xcom 2.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 06, 2016, 02:28:41 am »

In XCOM2 laser is replaced with Gauss weapons, and plasma with "beam", which looks similar to a mix between EU laser and plasma, being a beam of green, plasma-ish stuff, rather than globs, like EU.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 06, 2016, 06:16:05 pm »

AFAIK, beam-plasma is actually somewhat more likely to work than glob-plasma. Basically just make an electromagnetic tunnel for a fraction of a second, and release a burst of high-energy plasma along it during that time. Globs, on the other hand, need some kind of complicated self-sustaining containment field as they fly, which while theoretically possible, is pretty weird.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 08, 2016, 12:00:31 pm »

They may be using an electromagnetic lens to 'lase' the plasma, not using the plasma as a weapon on its own, but turning it into a high intensity plasma-based laser.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 08, 2016, 03:14:09 pm »

It's called beam, not plasma or plasma-beam. So it's a bit silly to complain about the speed the plasma goes when we don't even know if it involves plasma at all, ain't it?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 91