Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859185 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #11055 on: May 21, 2023, 03:02:03 am »

Modern English is strange.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11056 on: May 21, 2023, 03:11:48 am »

Modern English is strange.
I always loved "I Melt with You".

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: May 21, 2023, 03:27:19 am »

I'm angry my trailer is full of mice! They're in the walls, in the ceiling, crawling across the curtain rod literally right behind my head. Squeaking all fucking day and night. I've only managed to kill two so far myself, my cat has caught two from the sound of things. But there's more, so many more. They're squeaking in the ceiling right now.

I've got all the cupboards I could open open. Tomorrow I'm throwing everything removeable outside and locking the cat in. We're gonna kill them all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: May 21, 2023, 06:40:24 am »

is that you lovecraft

micewalls is what you get for all the racism, you old turd :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: May 21, 2023, 07:39:19 am »

Well not today, but I remembered I once got asked a question about my book (which has LGBT characters): "How come they haven't cured homosexuality in the future?"

I blocked that person and outed them on the Discord server we met in, resulting in their ban, and I never saw them again after this, but I still think about it. People are idiots.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: May 21, 2023, 08:06:23 am »

That’s an extreme response. Why not ask what they mean by that? Understand their viewpoint? Treat them like a human, flawed as they may be, just as you want to be treated as a human.

All banning them does is isolate them, encourage them to avoid interacting with others and so have a limited and isolated worldview.  Sure you don’t have to let them abuse you, but defeat their ignorance with kindness, not force.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: May 21, 2023, 08:10:35 am »

I've got all the cupboards I could open open. Tomorrow I'm throwing everything removeable outside and locking the cat in. We're gonna kill them all.
Doesn't seem like the cat did you any good so far. Just buy/build a rat trap, there are plenty of basic traps designs on youtube involving mainly a regular bucket.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: May 21, 2023, 08:23:27 am »

Sure you don’t have to let them abuse you, but defeat their ignorance with kindness, not force.
Lets make things interesting. Why do assume such sentiment comes from ignorance or abuse?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: May 21, 2023, 09:36:51 am »

That’s an extreme response. Why not ask what they mean by that? Understand their viewpoint? Treat them like a human, flawed as they may be, just as you want to be treated as a human.

All banning them does is isolate them, encourage them to avoid interacting with others and so have a limited and isolated worldview.  Sure you don’t have to let them abuse you, but defeat their ignorance with kindness, not force.
I have no interest in humoring them. I already understand their viewpoint-- that they see people like me as mentally ill-- why should I roll over and legitimize their viewpoint by engaging with them? I don't really seek them to get better per se. I just want to never interact with them again. What possible value would I get, either as an author or as a person, from continuing to listen to their blathering?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: May 21, 2023, 10:09:22 am »

Lets choose different example to avoid any knee jerks.  Deaf people have long fought against discrimination to have equal rights and access (something they lack in many countries). The Deaf culture doesn't believe in using the word 'disabled' because that word implies 'less than', in fact many deaf people consider themselves to be unique who distinguish themselves as a culture who see deaf as the new normal. That is a great victory for deaf people. However, it now pose an ethical question, what happens when deaf parents want a deaf child and ask to use vitro fertilization and embryo selection to guarantee it?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: May 21, 2023, 10:38:51 am »

Yep. Deaf people hurt nobody and it should be their choice for if to be cured or not.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: May 21, 2023, 11:54:56 am »

Yeah.  "In your ideal future, why do people like you still exist?" IS an extreme response.
Thankfully we understand it perfectly and can block, report and move on.

Like, let's not minimize what you're suggesting here.  This person not only thinks LGBT people ideally shouldn't exist.  They take for granted, as obvious, that WE don't want US to exist either.  And you think we should treat this person like a human?

Okay yeah, I'm going to treat this person like an adult and not coddle them like an infant.  That would be disrespectful of me.  I'm going to value my own mental health at least as much as theirs, because we're both humans.  I'm not going to pretend that they didn't just imply that I shouldn't exist.  I'm going to do what humans do when other humans insult them: I'm going to be insulted.

If they need to LEARN that I'm a fucking human being, they're in luck!  I support queer representation in media, which normalizes our existence and fights against the stigma that was implanted in SO many people (us included) growing up.  That's going to do more than me holding a bigots hand, treating their position as if it has ANY value whatsoever, and gradually convincing them that I have an inner world.

I TRIED that, with someone I considered a close friend.  Maybe it's possible.  I know it hurts, a lot, and I didn't have the self-confidence to pull it off.  I learned more self-loathing from him than he learned tolerance from me.  If I had spent that time seeking to understand myself rather than trying to manipulate a bigot into being a good person, he and I would BOTH be better off.  I did him no favors by being his token gay friend, and humoring his shittiness.  I only emboldened him.

Again, the better strategy is to live well (and as openly as you can safely do so)... and to respond to open bigotry with social consequences.  That's how society works, and it's the respectful response.  Bigots ARE humans, not infants or robots, and they're responsible for their actions.  Bigotry thrives when it's humored, and shrivels when people express disgust at it.

Edit: Because to be clear: self-harm is a problem in the LGBT community.  Because we've been taught to hate ourselves or *at best* to wish we were "normal".  That's highly internalized, particularly the older the person is.  That's not an impulse we can AFFORD to humor.  It NEEDS a stern rejection, both internally or externally.  (it's an incorrect impulse, implanted by intentional media campaigns AND BIGOTS MAKING JOKES, and it's very deeply installed.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 11:58:23 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: May 21, 2023, 12:35:26 pm »

It is a perfectly normal response.

No one has a duty to educate someone, especially when it is emotionally unpleasant AND chances of success are slim at best.

If someone is ready to do this, to spend their free time, to sow seeds that may never grow, they are doing something beneficial for society and should be praised but such actions should not be demanded.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: May 21, 2023, 01:00:35 pm »

How do you know that person you banned has never been exposed to another viewpoint? You could have been the one to tell them that you don’t think it’s something to be “cured.” I mean this is based on the above that looked like there was just the one comment not a history of entrenched view.

If it was a comment in a pattern of comments sure don’t cast your pearls before swine. But if not… it’s better to give people benefit of the doubt.

I guess also you don’t have an obligation to do that… but technically nobody has an obligation to anything so I don’t know what that buys you.

(EDIT: Fixed spelling)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:35:03 pm by McTraveller »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: May 21, 2023, 01:06:36 pm »

I guess also you don’t have an obligation to do that… but technically nobody has an ovligation to anything so I don’t know what that buys you
I'm guessing you're trolling, but in case you are not, surely you realize the kind of absurd slippery slope fallacy you just engaged in right?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:47:48 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 736 737 [738] 739 740 ... 779