Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858878 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8955 on: June 10, 2021, 02:07:32 am »

Co-worker got sick, gotta replace him on my day off, probably will have to do it tomorrow too. So uh, yay for a potentially 8 day work week after which I get to do another 6 day one without a break :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: June 10, 2021, 06:53:38 am »

I got one attractive quote for my tree, waiting for a second one today.  I have thought about trying to find a mill to sell the lumber, but this type of tree is not very economically valuable; it's very soft wood, worse than pine.  Wikipedia says it's only useful for plywood and "interior parts of furniture."

I suppose I could ask around. If it was an oak or maple I'd definitely consider it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: June 10, 2021, 07:10:02 am »

Do you have any paper mills near you? It might be crap for building anything with it, but they might still be able to use it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: June 10, 2021, 07:41:33 am »

I think it would be easier to sell it as firewood.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: June 10, 2021, 12:15:47 pm »

Spontaneous insomnia last night, whooooo. I think I finally passed out briefly at 4am, pipped up again at 5:30, then crashed until nine? The interface between self and world has a nice TV static patina. I do not cope well with a lack of sleep.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: June 10, 2021, 12:43:47 pm »

Wait, actual onset visual snow or just a turn of phrase? It'd be neat to see someone else on the forum with it (though mine isn't onset, it's been 24/7 as long as I can remember)...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: June 10, 2021, 01:12:57 pm »

Apparently cottonwood is about useless. It's not even very valuable for firewood - I've burned some in my own fire pit, and even after it's dry it's like burning sponge.

I looked at getting the power company to help out, but the tree is more than 50% of its height from the nearest power line, so they won't help because it physically can't hit the lines.  Domino effect doesn't come into play; they power company has already trimmed the trees close to the lines, so even if the big tree knocks over a close one, it can't affect the lines.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: June 10, 2021, 01:20:38 pm »

Wait, actual onset visual snow or just a turn of phrase? It'd be neat to see someone else on the forum with it (though mine isn't onset, it's been 24/7 as long as I can remember)...

It was more of a metaphorical descriptor of my feeling of detachment from reality, but I do have visual snow! Have for years, couldn't say when it started. Goes with the tinnitus and occasional migraines, wikipedia says there's some association between all three of them. Enough to notice (and to frustrate when looking for super-fine details), but not enough to obstruct or impede daily life.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: June 10, 2021, 01:38:38 pm »

(I have it)
Love, scriver~

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: June 10, 2021, 08:22:50 pm »

If the latest Windows Update added an ugly motherfuck of an icon to your taskbar tray in the bottom right and clicking it takes you to weather and news shit you don't give a hairy flip about, and you want it gone, right-click your taskbar, choose "News and Interests" and click "Turn Off."

Get outta here, garbage software. I don't want your news drip in my taskbar.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: June 10, 2021, 08:50:28 pm »

I was pissed off about that too, and disabled it like you did.

I also use the free, tiny program "O&O Shutup 10" which lets you easily remove/turn off almost anything you want to.  I've got most everything turned off so Microsucks has the least control possible.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: June 11, 2021, 12:35:57 am »

If the latest Windows Update added an ugly motherfuck of an icon to your taskbar tray in the bottom right and clicking it takes you to weather and news shit you don't give a hairy flip about, and you want it gone, right-click your taskbar, choose "News and Interests" and click "Turn Off."

Read this literally seconds after noticing the ugly motherfuck for the first time
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: June 11, 2021, 09:22:08 am »

This is one of the reasons I encourage people to use Apple or Linux.  Apple is starting to head down this path too, although right now it's just continuous nagging that I haven't updated my software.

If software updates were limited to behind-the-scenes things, I wouldn't care, but when people change my UI, especially in a way that breaks muscle memory or starts interfering with my regular tasks, I start to get angry.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: June 11, 2021, 09:51:27 am »

Apple is heavily and proudly proprietary. I would not touch that shit with a 10-foot pole, but that may be the GNU propaganda getting to me. There's almost nothing that's out in the open. People had to reverse-engineer most of the technical details to get the M1 Macs to run Linux. The interrupt controller's custom, the CPU uses a nonstandard boot procedure(?), the USB has weird logic around it... nothing is standard.

Do you want a computer that does everything different, seemingly as an obfuscation tactic? Do you want to not be able to scrutinize what's under the hood? Do you want to be locked to an ecosystem like this, one that views standards as something made to be broken, completely ignoring concerns of "interoperability" or "compatibility"? Sorry, the GNU shit's getting to me again.

M$ is more open than Apple. I'd use Linux, but I'm still too busy to mess with it full-time. WSL is my gateway drug to Linux for now. Believe me, I'd ditch Windows in a heartbeat if I could. I should probably get a Raspberry Pi to play with.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: June 11, 2021, 10:21:21 am »

My main compy is Linux. I have an Apple for teaching and a Windows for vidja.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 779