Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 795

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 1124589 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8940 on: June 04, 2021, 06:51:33 pm »

Tortillas were freshly nuked and malleable, they were just a mite overstuffed (hard to fit a can's worth in two tortillas, plus all the fried vegetable goop I'd added in) and my plates are small and the burrito ends hang off like adult feet from a child's bed.

I had to teach a friend how to wrap burritos like that, and then remind him again later- still pretty sure it didn't stick, heh. In hindsight, I never did wrap the top end, which is there the spillage happened. I'm not really sure why I never considered doing that. It's really no fun picking beans off the ground every minute or worrying that you've kicked one behind your spare PC tower.

Thank you for putting the time in to add practical thoughts to my petty dinner outburst. I'll never be a foodie with how disastrous my digestive/immune system is, but here's to making better burritos, eh?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: June 05, 2021, 01:47:09 am »

The Witcher books are so much better than the Witcher games and TV shows :/ Geralt ... I want to read your adventures all over again ...

Even The Wild Hunt is, relatively speaking, a huge disappointment...

I suppose I should have known better.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: June 05, 2021, 10:48:14 am »

I believe the usual internet argument is that since the games and show are good on their own, they don't have to live up to the books or respect the source material. Also, it's your fault for not liking them. Why don't you support artists.

(I like the books better, too)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: June 05, 2021, 12:36:38 pm »

Firefox has somehow switched to auto updating again, no idea when, haven't even noticed that shit until the recent update which once again had to fuck with the visual style. This wouldn't be so bad as the changes are mostly minimal, except the tab one.

So now, instead of sensibly showing the little speaker icon on the tab that's making noise you have to mouse over the tab in question to get the icon, there's a bit of text at the bottom that says playing too but why the fuck would you forgo a perfectly readable and compact icon for a line of text that doesn't even fit the fucking tab properly if there's enough of them, and then still show the quick and easy to read icon once you mouse over it and know which tab is responsible.

Fucking browser dev teams and their fucking UI/UX gremlins who can't just leave a perfectly functional thing be but have to continuously fuck with it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: June 05, 2021, 01:53:49 pm »

Because somebody at the top got paid to make it harder so you have to listen to more ad audio
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: June 05, 2021, 06:20:03 pm »

I hadn't noticed the audio notification change, ugh. Thanks for the warning. I'd only had time to notice that it looks and feels different, again. Not as bad as previous "updates" which I got a theme restorer for, but annoying.

[valid rant that I wrote *instead* of drinking, then I got a very much needed natural night's sleep and feel much better.  Moved to my personal journal because oversharing]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:25:18 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: June 08, 2021, 12:01:04 am »

i left windows open after the sun went down and now there's so many gnats like holy cow it's grrrooooooossss

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: June 08, 2021, 05:32:53 am »

Reddit, StackOverflow, Kickstarter, etc. are down.
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: June 08, 2021, 05:42:37 am »

Strange. Are they all owned by the same company/hosted on the same server or something? It seems odd otherwise that these otherwise-unrelated websites would go down all at the same time.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: June 08, 2021, 05:53:18 am »

Strange. Are they all owned by the same company/hosted on the same server or something? It seems odd otherwise that these otherwise-unrelated websites would go down all at the same time.
Allegedly problems at Fastly cloud services are the cause.

EDIT: It looks like the troubles have passed.

EDIT2: Maybe not.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 06:04:53 am by Flying Teasets »
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: June 08, 2021, 03:44:40 pm »

I've got a tree in my yard that I'd estimate is 90 feet tall1.  It has bark falling off around the trunk where it hits the ground, and what looks like a crack developing.  It's about 30 feet from the corner of our deck.  The top is green and lush, which means it's heavy.

I have two tree removal companies coming this week to give me quotes. I don't expect it to be cheap3.

Just praying it doesn't drop in storms before then, given it's now storm season2.

Spoiler: 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 3 (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: June 08, 2021, 04:19:50 pm »

[valid rant that I wrote *instead* of drinking, then I got a very much needed natural night's sleep and feel much better.  Moved to my personal journal because oversharing]

proud of u
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: June 09, 2021, 01:09:02 pm »

Spoiler: 3 (click to show/hide)
For that price they'd better let you at least keep the log for yourself, turned into either planks or blocks.
A 93ft tall tree makes for a sizeable amount of wood, which can sell for decent cash if it's not in 93ft log form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQGPZTECYs
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:27:02 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: June 09, 2021, 01:23:49 pm »

Especially when you consider the lumber shortage that’s going on right now. You might as well just chop it down with an axe yourself and try to find a buyer.

Edit: Upon further consideration, especially with the size of the tree and things like power lines in the way, it probably isn’t possible to chop it with an axe. If I remember right, these tree removal companies often use stuff like cranes to get their work done.

I still believe a lot of those costs can be offset by selling the tree to a lumber company though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:01:09 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: June 09, 2021, 02:53:55 pm »

3k+ for a 90 ft tree looks like it's an accurate ballpark, eyeballing some stuff. It's pretty expensive to get trees that big removed, especially if it's anywhere near anything anyone cares about it falling on.

... that said, if it's a risk to a power line and you haven't already done it, checking with your power company might be in order? If not outright removal, they'll sometimes at least get the tree so it's not a line risk either gratis or at least at a discount or what have you. 3k for them can be cheaper than a service outage, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 795