Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56723 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #585 on: March 02, 2016, 06:10:40 am »

Star Wars was very close to being Flash Gordon levels of campy.

Even VII had camp seeping out of it. I only wish they had let JJ go a little darker with everything. He added plenty of grit, but characters and plot were squeaky clean.

"Let Abrams get dark"? That man has never created anything either dark or gritty in his entire career.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 02, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »

Even VII had camp seeping out of it. I only wish they had let JJ go a little darker with everything. He added plenty of grit, but characters and plot were squeaky clean.

"Let Abrams get dark"? That man has never created anything either dark or gritty in his entire career.
Hey, he sometimes created shots with dark lighting.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #587 on: March 02, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »

Dark and gritty doesn't really fit for Star Warts IMO. Mostly because it never really has been dark or gritty, and there's not really any reason to make it dark or gritty.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 02, 2016, 10:06:36 pm »

Dark and gritty doesn't really fit for Star Warts IMO. Mostly because it never really has been dark or gritty, and there's not really any reason to make it dark or gritty.

Ahhh... Episode III was pretty dark. At least by Star Wars standards...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:53 pm »

In the Grim Dark of the distant past, there is only the Force

...nah, really doesn't work for me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 02, 2016, 11:36:22 pm »

You don't get it, the grim darkness was the past, when Jedi and Sith were fucking slaughtering their way across the galaxy in massive wars. Without the old EU there's no Yuuzhan Vong to worry about, no Thrawn to shake things up, just giant hologram Gollum, an angsty teen in a thirty-something's body, and the greatest Stormtrooper ever born. They didn't even manage to blow up anything meaningful with Death Star 3. The future of nuWars is basically Brighthammer. Probably not Lovehammer, though.

3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 02, 2016, 11:39:28 pm »

They blew up the chancellor!

...Not that you knew he was the chancellor. It didn't even focus on him, it focused on the Resistance ambassador standing next to him. Not that you knew she was a Resistance ambassador.

Oy.

VIII's been confirmed as dark and weird.

Giant hologram gollum is interesting enough, dammit.

EDIT: It should be noted that Rebels is soon having an arc about Malachor. The planet entirely defined by Revan breaking it. Which still seems to have happened in canon.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:42:32 pm by Putnam »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 03, 2016, 02:58:15 am »

Not to mention that a lot of the dialogue of the original trilogy was either heavily edited or outright ad-libbed in by the actors.

...on the other hand the Darth Icky incident with Force Unleashed has lead me to suspect that George Lucas might actually be a massive troll. At least in regards to his screwing with the fanbase and canonicity.
The only ad-lib'd scene I know of is Han Solo and how he spoke to the Death Star officer when he and Chewie (and the droids) were going to rescue Leia. Are there any more? :D Links? :))

Also Darth Icky?

Campy? ???

Better yet, the armor apparently actually makes blaster injuries worse. Get shot in the center of the chest wearing stormtrooper armor? Dead instantly. Get shot in the shoulder wearing a poncho? The cloth isn't even burned away completely.
I think there's something about blaster fire that makes it have a concentrated center? A shoulder wound is not on the same general degree to a chest wound in terms of survivability. :P (unless major blood vessels are hit, but I've no idea how blaster weapons work)
Maybe that means Leia was hit by a glancing shot?
[very awesome anatomical analysis]
:-[
Err, when I wrote 'shoulder', I was thinking more about the upper arm. x_X I was stressed on that day and kept making silly of my anatomical words!
That's a very good overview though :3

What armor did the clone/stormtroopers use again? Was it designed for durability or deflection? I forget. :-\
[...]just giant hologram Gollum, an angsty teen in a thirty-something's body, and the greatest Stormtrooper ever born. They didn't even manage to blow up anything meaningful with Death Star 3. The future of nuWars is basically Brighthammer. Probably not Lovehammer, though.
Angsty teen may be onto something :P I haven't read about the Knights of Ren, but it seems that Kylo is taking his Darth Vader worship into a whole new philosophy of something. His inability in reaching his own(?) standards in that context means the angst. :P

Also...isn't it possible to intercept or at least spot the 'in-between' of a hologram? Like in between sender A and receiver B, wasn't it done in Star Wars history before? If so, wouldn't it be possible to locate where Big-Hologram-Bad-Guy is communicating from?

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 03, 2016, 04:00:31 am »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 03, 2016, 06:33:00 am »

What armor did the clone/stormtroopers use again? Was it designed for durability or deflection? I forget. :-\
It's made of Explodium.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 03, 2016, 06:37:03 am »

They blew up the new Republic goverment and fleet. And per the movie's own words all the Resistance has are a few dozen old X-Wings, several of which got blown up in the attack against SK base, whereas by all accounts the First Order still has an operative fleet.

All in all it could be argued that the SK base was the best performing, in regards to cost-effectivity, of all the Death Star models.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 03, 2016, 11:46:47 am »

They blew up the new Republic goverment and fleet. And per the movie's own words all the Resistance has are a few dozen old X-Wings, several of which got blown up in the attack against SK base, whereas by all accounts the First Order still has an operative fleet.

All in all it could be argued that the SK base was the best performing, in regards to cost-effectivity, of all the Death Star models.

...I think you're seriously underestimating the costs involved in hollowing out an sun-proofing a planet.  How did they even?!?!?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:11 pm »

When compared to the other death stars. I never said it was the best way to go about this. But at least it worked
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 03, 2016, 12:28:29 pm »

...I think you're seriously underestimating the costs involved in hollowing out an sun-proofing a planet.  How did they even?!?!?

The Force. Like the Star Forge, now that I think about it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 03, 2016, 01:38:07 pm »

Yeah, sure. I'm talking about stuff important to the audience. Nobody out-universe gave any shits at all about that. The only reason people cared about Alderaan in A New Hope was because it was emotionally important to characters they cared about, and because the impact of it within the film was presented on a human scale rather than "PEWWWW KERPOW VHWOOOOOM".

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43