Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56673 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #630 on: December 18, 2017, 05:07:40 pm »

porgs are animated terribly. the one that took off looked like it was just pushed airborne by an invisible dong poking out of the ground. there are many many instances of very badly done cgi that caught me off guard even more than the badly timed jokes. not that they weren't funny, but sapped any attempt to set the tone to epic

beyond that, the whole film setting was an hypermiling challenge and side stories that amounted to exactly nothing, plus holes jumped over with bad narration (like we only are told how rey reaches the falcon.. show it dammit!) plus stuff that will make the continuity super hard afterward (the new trinket from the new order will make impossible to justify further all rebellion usual shenanigans)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 18, 2017, 05:21:10 pm »

Spoiler: TLJ spoiler (click to show/hide)
Black lives matter.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 18, 2017, 05:47:05 pm »

I could keep going with the ranting but I'm getting kinda angry and this movie definitely did not deserve me getting this emotional over its stupidity.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 18, 2017, 05:49:53 pm »

How would you define butchering the development of the new characters? I've got a general sense of the criticisms levelled at the directions their characters have taken, but I just love hearing other people's perspectives on the matter.

Similar to what Morley set really.

Finn basically decides to fuck off, but unlike Han really has no reason to. His weird fan-love sub-plot is also just terrible.

Rey... Rey is outpacing what little logic there is to the film. Like... she's way too competent for having no training. She doesn't develop emotionally at all. In essence, she's an idiot, but not in a well-written way--she doesn't follow any sort of logic.

Poe has become a reckless idiot when he just wasn't before. Like... did Poe get shot in the head between episodes??? Seriously, his whole character arc is getting back to where he was in TFA.

Kylo is just such a lame character. Like, he's just not bad guy material. It's not the actor's fault--the writing for him is AWFUL.

Hux is cardboard.

Phasma is paper.

Also literally every question or arc set up in EP7 turned out to be a big "Nope. Fuck you." in EP8.

1. I find Finn's initial cowardice to be consistent with everything he's done in TFA. If I were raised and fed propaganda by the First Order every day since childhood, I'd be fucking afraid of them too, and run at every opportunity. It's a nice setup to his "Rebel Scum." moment.

Also, I did like Rose. Probably for the same reasons that everybody finds her subplot to be terrible, but for me it was fun.

2. I've never really understood where the hate towards Rey's competence comes from. Talent is a genuine thing that some people just have, not to mention in this movie she actually DOES train, on a planet that is exceptionally strong in the Force. On top of that, she's got that Force connection with Kylo ( regardless of how they are connected ). They're the balance between the Dark and Light side of the Force. "Dark rises, and light to meet it", that's what Snoke said. I like the fact that they're evenly matched.

3. I honestly don't remember Poe learning anything in TFA. His strategy of "attack, attack, attack" was always present, it's just that now, when the Resistance is on its last bit of rope, does it really start to bite him in the ass. And he does learn in the end.

4. Kylo's a helluva lot better in this movie than in TFA, IMO. I'm really curious where they're going to go with him, seeing as he's taken the first steps towards overcoming his Vader fetish. Smashing the helmet was a good call, Adam Driver's just so much more fun to watch than a faux-Revan mask. The fact that he's humiliated and defeated in this movie serves the same purpose as the many failures of the other main characters; it'll serve as an impetus for him to get better.

Finn fails in his side-mission, learns that defiance of the First Order is better than running away. Poe fails in just about every plan he tries, learns how to be a leader and not a glory-seeking hero. Rey fails to turn Kylo, but gets a better understanding of the Force and what it means to be a jedi.

"Greatest teacher, failure is" is my favourite line throughout this whole movie.

5. True, Hux is a one note character, mainly there for comedy. Fucking love him, plus they're setting the seeds for his betrayal of Kylo in the next movie.

6. Phasma is also less of a character, and more of an embodiment of Finn's fear of what he would become if he stayed in the First Order. To him, she IS the First Order. In a way, she's less of a character and more Finn's Dagobah Cave. And to that purpose, I think she's great.

7. Yeah, this is true  :P Part of me still wonders if Snoke is still alive, I'd be happy regardless of whether he was alive or dead.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 18, 2017, 06:01:10 pm »

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 18, 2017, 06:18:23 pm »

Like I said before, the entirety of the plot is driven by characters acting dumb because the plot needs them to be dumb in order to exist. That's ok in most movies if it's a few moments, but in this one it happens at every possible moment and it utterly breaks the suspension of disbelief. It's Prometheus-tier character idiocy at work troughout the majority of the movie.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 18, 2017, 06:34:10 pm »

I can see how characters making dumb mistakes can be really grating for a lot of people, so that's fair enough. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 18, 2017, 06:42:17 pm »

I like Hux. The character's ambition, ruthlessness, and youth tie together very well and the actor does an excellent job performing the role.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 18, 2017, 07:09:46 pm »

I loved the movie. I don't really need to go into why, I feel like?

On the topic of criticisms: the tone criticisms are perfectly valid. The movie being more marvel-like, which I agree is how it feels, is not for everyone.

But I don't think that's a symptom of Disneyification or Hollywoodization. I think that's just what a "modern day blockbuster" looks like, and Star Wars, no matter which film or what era, has always been a "modern day blockbuster" by tone... excepting The Force Awakens, which got a huge amount of criticism precisely because it's too similar to the originals. So I think that complaining about how the film was "blockbusterized" for this day and age is fine but complaining that it was sort of ignores the history of the series, I.E. being the biggest blockbuster movie series of all time.

Spoiler: plot criticisms (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 18, 2017, 08:04:57 pm »

I would ask you guys to at least change the thread title, but this was started by Orange Wizard so I'll settle for telling you to make a new thread.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 18, 2017, 08:51:45 pm »

Here, have a new thread for all things Star Wars
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]