Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56676 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Chat about delicious Star Wars franchise here.

Usual discussion rules apply. Don't be a dick, no opinion is objective, yadda yadda yadda.

There's probably already a thread for this. but my one's better.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:22:59 am »

There's probably already a thread for this. but my one's better.
Good sentiment.

First off, I thought it was bloody great. I found the characters were good and the actors acting them were good at acting. I did however find that Leia was a bit... Off, she just didn't seem to work for me, dunno why  :-\. I also found that, although some people seem to think the opposite, that the lightsaber fights were pretty bloody good. This was mainly because the fights weren't beautifully choreographed dances between two equal opponents, they were rough and hard, the fighters in them were, for the most part, just whacking each other as hard as they could because they hadn't been trained with a lightsaber, apart from Kylo Ren of course but I honestly find the quality of his training to be dubious. On Kylo Ren, I found him to be a very good character (apart from his hair, fuck his hair) he seemed to be much wilder than Darth Vader because, you know, if he got angry he just lost his shit and started cutting stuff up with a fiery laser sword instead of choking someone for a bit and I really liked that whole sense of, shit shit shit shit this guy's insane. Anyway, that's most of my two cents.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:26:45 am »

The 'resistance' has apparently completely dumped all fighters, bombers, and warships sans the x-wing. I am disappoint. Why no y-wing!?
The new two-person TIE fighters are pretty damn cool though.

The singular mon-calamari I noticed was relegated to bleating out information. That's apparently all Ackbar was good for.

Overall, the movie was good, amusing. Fun.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:46:24 am »

Too tired right now to properly articulate but I'll leave a garbled sentence comprising my primary gripe with the movie:

BACKGROUND! WHAT REPUBLIC AND RESISTANCE ARE SAME OR NOT NO OR YES

WHAT FIRST ORDER IS

WHAT PLANETS SYSTEM KILLER KILL ARE THEY IMPORTANT

IS REPUBLIC EVEN A THING

WHY RESISTANCE REBELLION OR WHATEVER ONLY HAVE A DOZEN X WINGS FOR ENTIRE FLEET

WAS REPUBLIC DESTORY OR SOMETHING IN SYSKILLER KILL BLAST

WHY EXPLODE PLANET VISIBLE FROM ANOTHER PLANET WAS THIS PLANET IN SAME AYSTEM
BECAUSE IF SO WHY NOT PLANET WITH THOUSAND YEAR ORANGE TALKING BOOGER ASPLODED

IN CONCLUSION

WHY SO NONE EXPOSITION AT ALL AS TO WHATS HAPPENING IN GALAXY

IS RESISTANCE PART OF REPUBLIC OR AGAINST THEM OR WHAT THE FUCK

XANTALOS NEED EXPOSITION BADLY

XANTALOS SHOULDNT HAVR TO LOOK UP SETTING INFO ONLINE TO ENJOY MOVIE
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 03:48:49 am »

I liked the movie, a lot, but I can't help but feel not much actually happened during the three-hour runtime. This was mostly a setup for the next two movies, I'm guessing, with mostly character introductions and such.

The planet-sized weapon capable of destroying two solar systems in a single shot (one to charge it) was pretty interesting, but does that mean there is an asteroid-sized weapon capable of destroying moons somewhere? What about a solar-system-sized weapon capable of destroying galaxies?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 05:50:28 am »

WHAT FIRST ORDER IS

They're the Empire with the nazi reskin dlc.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 05:51:07 am »

Too tired right now to properly articulate but I'll leave a garbled sentence comprising my primary gripe with the movie:

BACKGROUND! WHAT REPUBLIC AND RESISTANCE ARE SAME OR NOT NO OR YES

WHAT FIRST ORDER IS

WHAT PLANETS SYSTEM KILLER KILL ARE THEY IMPORTANT

IS REPUBLIC EVEN A THING

WHY RESISTANCE REBELLION OR WHATEVER ONLY HAVE A DOZEN X WINGS FOR ENTIRE FLEET

WAS REPUBLIC DESTORY OR SOMETHING IN SYSKILLER KILL BLAST

WHY EXPLODE PLANET VISIBLE FROM ANOTHER PLANET WAS THIS PLANET IN SAME AYSTEM
BECAUSE IF SO WHY NOT PLANET WITH THOUSAND YEAR ORANGE TALKING BOOGER ASPLODED

IN CONCLUSION

WHY SO NONE EXPOSITION AT ALL AS TO WHATS HAPPENING IN GALAXY

IS RESISTANCE PART OF REPUBLIC OR AGAINST THEM OR WHAT THE FUCK

XANTALOS NEED EXPOSITION BADLY

XANTALOS SHOULDNT HAVR TO LOOK UP SETTING INFO ONLINE TO ENJOY MOVIE

RESISTANCE IS PROXY ARMY FUNDED BY REPUBLIC

MILITARY SECT FOLLOWING EMPIRE BELIEFS

CAPITAL OF REPUBLIC AND ALL OTHER PLANETS IN SYSTEM

NOT ANYMORE

REPUBLIC FLEET WAS IN SYSTEM BLOWN UP

YES

FUNDED BY REPUBLIC

i got all that from watching the movie

also:

Rakata Prime is canon

The "Scourge of Malachor", an event that concisely describes some pretty heavy Knights of the Old Republic spoilers, is canon

are they making knights of the old republic part of new canon

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:54:15 am »

also:

Rakata Prime is canon

The "Scourge of Malachor", an event that concisely describes some pretty heavy Knights of the Old Republic spoilers, is canon

Whuh, where did you get that? Some blink-and-you'll-miss-it background detail in the film? Though yeah, Xant, most of your questions were pretty clearly answered in the film, though I do wish they would've exposited a bit more about the state of the galaxy.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the movie! I loved the main characters - frankly, I didn't expect them to be so likeable. I also liked Kylo Ren, though I expect many people didn't. He was so pathetic and pitiful he actually became interesting - he just seems so broken inside. Wanna-be Vader who throws fits and breaks screens when confronted with the least bit of bad news and looks like a scrawny nerd - what's not to like? The reversal of him being on the Dark Side and struggling with 'hearing the call of the Light' was nifty, too.

I didn't expect so much humor. Okay, some scenes were unintentionally funny, too - like the incredibly subtle lighting symbolism in the bridge scene, or Kylo's tantrum, but oh well, I'll live with it. I even managed not to laugh at Supreme Chancellor Snoak's name. Snoak...

Why Captain Phasma get so little screentime tho

why Captain Phasma get literally trashed

she better return gloriously.

It wasn't the best movie of all time, but it was pretty good, and I hope that the next two will be even better. And I wish that the next two movies won't re-use V's and VI's plots quite so obviously. It was a nice nod here, but this could go more interesting ways.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:56:36 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 06:57:12 am »

also:

Rakata Prime is canon

Whuh, where did you get that? Some blink-and-you'll-miss-it background detail in the film? Though yeah, Xant, most of your questions were pretty clearly answered in the film, though I do wish they would've exposited a bit more about the state of the galaxy.

Visual dictionary mentions "Scourge of Malachor" in Kylo Ren's lightsaber description and a recently released canon map has only planets mentioned or shown in movies/Clone Wars/Rebels plus Rakata Prime (may be last planet shown in movie?)

EDIT: Oh my god I love Snoke. Kylo Ren showing abilities introduced in Knights of the Old Republic and not seen much otherwise (stasis, mind domination) and Snoke being his teacher plus Snoke's appearance suggests that he's old as fuck. Maybe older than the Rule of Two; in legends, Bane based the rule of two on Revan. And Snoke is certainly no sith, nor is Kylo Ren. He's something... strange. Ancient. Exciting. I haven't fanboyed as hard over a mystery of any sort in a long time.

Actually, Kylo Ren's lightsaber is explicitly said to be based on a KOTOR-era design, that's not conjecture like his abilities being KOTOR-era (was mentioned in the visual dictionary), and Snoke is the one who brought him over, which now that I think of it was some frigging out-of-the-way exposition by Leia.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:20:34 am by Putnam »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 12:22:02 pm »

EDIT: Oh my god I love Snoke. Kylo Ren showing abilities introduced in Knights of the Old Republic and not seen much otherwise (stasis, mind domination) and Snoke being his teacher plus Snoke's appearance suggests that he's old as fuck. Maybe older than the Rule of Two; in legends, Bane based the rule of two on Revan. And Snoke is certainly no sith
Snoke's Plagueis. I bet you a beer.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 12:51:09 pm »

they killed off HAN SOLO!
WHYYY???
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 01:06:40 pm »

Loved when Kylo was having his meltdown and the two stormtroopers in the hall... turn around and walk the other way.

Cringed hard at "Droid, Please"

Otherwise found it to be a by-the-numbers movie, everything happened exactly as expected and clearly foreshadowed, no surprises.

The moment Liea told Han to try and bring their son home, I knew he was doomed, from the look on his face...

I probably have read to much TVTropes, so everything using standard formulas is spoiled for me permanently; thank god for directors like Whedon and Tarantino mixing things up a little.

Overall, Good movie, but a step short of Great.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 01:55:07 pm »

I enjoyed it, but definitely hoping the next two will be a bit better.

Liked the new main characters. They're interesting and enjoyable without feeling that they're trying too hard.

I like the concept behind Snoke but his look is just...horribly fake looking. Probably one of my least favorite thing in the movie, really. He just kinda looked out of place amidst all the really good special effects.

I also really cringed at the whole 'everyone seeing the Republic planets explode' thing. I can ignore the weird physics of the super weapon itself but...why would anyone else in other systems see the laser? Let alone seeing the explosion of worlds that are light years away. It's like they forgot that space is huge and that all those worlds aren't in the same solar system or something.

Otherwise it was pretty much exactly what I wanted. A sort of checklist of Star Wars things that hit all the right buttons. Sure, it was easy to predict most stuff, but even that had more of a reassuring 'yeah, we're not going to screw this up' sort of feeling to it than a lazy 'we can't be original' feeling. Good example of why tropes aren't a bad thing at all.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 02:31:10 pm »

they killed off HAN SOLO!
WHYYY???
Probably because Harrison Ford wanted it, and they wanted something memorable with heavy emotional impact in the movie. Plus it symbolizes the passing of the torch to the new characters and solidifies Ren's status as an irredeemable villain.

I also really cringed at the whole 'everyone seeing the Republic planets explode' thing. I can ignore the weird physics of the super weapon itself but...why would anyone else in other systems see the laser? Let alone seeing the explosion of worlds that are light years away. It's like they forgot that space is huge and that all those worlds aren't in the same solar system or something.
See: Vulcan's destruction in Star Trek '09. JJ doesn't care about realism if it gets in the way of his storytelling.

I would have liked for Rey and Kylo to have a bit more interaction at the end. Maybe have her struggle against the dark side while he tells her to finish him off. Well, maybe Kylo's too much of a coward to do the whole "Strike me down, fulfill your destiny" thing, but it would have been nice to see some temptation there rather than them immediately getting separated by a convenient fissure.

Also, I found the scene at the end a bit annoying. It broke up the flow of the denouement and did little except give Luke a non-speaking cameo. They should have ended it on the previous scene, but then of course the fanboys would complain about Luke's absence. Maybe use it as a post-credit teaser instead.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 03:28:57 pm »

I have just seen the movie.
I NOW FEAR NO SPOILERS!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43