Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 56718 times)

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2016, 05:40:36 pm »

So far, getting hit by bowcaster is death for mooks, injury for named characters. Because the internet just helped promote Nines to named status, he retroactively survived.
He probably put on his Reactive Armour Plate the right way round, unlike pretty much every other clone/storm/order-trooper...

I've always wondered why they even bother with the armor, since they never portray it as protecting them from anything.

This is why.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 23, 2016, 11:19:57 pm »

Better yet, the armor apparently actually makes blaster injuries worse. Get shot in the center of the chest wearing stormtrooper armor? Dead instantly. Get shot in the shoulder wearing a poncho? The cloth isn't even burned away completely.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 24, 2016, 08:26:12 am »

So did you guys know that this movie was a glimpse into New World Order? Snoke himself has many suspicious parallels with the nephilim, the giant half-angels buried in mounds throughout the world that the governments won't let us dig up. At least if you follow the right fan theories.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 26, 2016, 12:17:25 am »

Better yet, the armor apparently actually makes blaster injuries worse. Get shot in the center of the chest wearing stormtrooper armor? Dead instantly. Get shot in the shoulder wearing a poncho? The cloth isn't even burned away completely.
The plotForce protected her obviously.

Plot armor The Force is the strongest protection in the galaxy. To wear real armor corroded with the sins of the past is to close yourself off to the Force, and give in to the Dark Side. As codified in the Rule of Two, the Dark Side punishes weakness harshly, for it is mortally disrespectful to claim to be worthy of serving the Dark Side if you have not the power it deserves to command. And so stormtroopers, when injured, are slain by the feedback loop of dark energy burning their very souls out.

This also explains Kylo Ren's behavior and failures. He is a half-forged instrument, brittle and weak. He feels a call to the Light Side because it pities, rather than scorns, weakness, and his soul, desperate to survive, knows the dangers the Dark Side poses for one as angsty as he. Yet the power it offers is seductive nonetheless, and he wishes to become greater than that which he is. It is a noble goal, that pursuit of evil for the sake of it's own perfection.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 27, 2016, 12:30:56 am »

I think there's something about blaster fire that makes it have a concentrated center? A shoulder wound is not on the same general degree to a chest wound in terms of survivability. :P (unless major blood vessels are hit, but I've no idea how blaster weapons work)
Maybe that means Leia was hit by a glancing shot?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 01, 2016, 05:42:35 am »

Okay so I have no idea how it took me this long to have this realization, but I saw it mentioned somewhere else yesterday:

Luke S = Lucas

The original trilogy is focused on a self-insert character.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2016, 05:44:46 am »

Well yeah. I mean, he wanted Luke's last name to be Starkiller at one point. Does that not sound like a shitty self-insert character to you?

I'm almost sad that didn't happen, it would've been glorious.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 01, 2016, 05:52:48 am »

Everything I hear about George Lucas' writing process is ridiculous. I hope there's an alternate universe where he made some different decisions and Star Wars is an absurdly cheesy cult classic that never got any sequels.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:54:20 am by penguinofhonor »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2016, 11:48:43 am »

star wars is an absurdly cheesy classic that got sequels

because the music is great

i am seriously sure that if the music were generic it wouldn't have been nearly as popular

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 01, 2016, 01:47:47 pm »

I think it's more because Star Wars was one of the most thrilling cinematic experiences that had been created in 1977, and many of the tropes were still fresh to audiences at the time.  This created a solid fanbase that could keep the franchise going, even long after standards in writing and cinema had rendered it unremarkable.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 01, 2016, 03:24:04 pm »

Not to mention that a lot of the dialogue of the original trilogy was either heavily edited or outright ad-libbed in by the actors.

...on the other hand the Darth Icky incident with Force Unleashed has lead me to suspect that George Lucas might actually be a massive troll. At least in regards to his screwing with the fanbase and canonicity.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 01, 2016, 10:30:29 pm »

Star Wars was very close to being Flash Gordon levels of campy.

Even VII had camp seeping out of it. I only wish they had let JJ go a little darker with everything. He added plenty of grit, but characters and plot were squeaky clean.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 01, 2016, 11:08:19 pm »

Eh, if he follows true to form with things VIII will be the darkest one with IX bringing a mix of light and dark. It's a pretty standard formula for planned trilogies in general, moreso with Star Wars where they seem to be deliberately harkening back to the original trilogy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 02, 2016, 12:01:25 am »

Eh, if he follows true to form with things VIII will be the darkest one with IX bringing a mix of light and dark. It's a pretty standard formula for planned trilogies in general, moreso with Star Wars where they seem to be deliberately harkening back to the original trilogy.
"It's like poetry..."?  :P

I think there's something about blaster fire that makes it have a concentrated center? A shoulder wound is not on the same general degree to a chest wound in terms of survivability. :P (unless major blood vessels are hit, but I've no idea how blaster weapons work)
Maybe that means Leia was hit by a glancing shot?
Contrary to popular belief, getting shot in the shoulder (at least with projectile weapons) isn't a joke. If it hits the subclavian or brachial artery, that's really heavy blood loss followed by death if not stopped (though the blaster bolts probably cauterize). If it's closer to the collarbone, that could mean a collapsed lung. If it hits the joint, that's a ruined limb. Moreover, although blaster bolts seem more likely to cause deep tissue damage than shattered bones or severed blood vessels, that still could mean a crippled limb, especially given that they're apparently powerful enough to burn straight through armor (both stormtrooper personal armor and a Jawa sandcrawler, for example), I'd rather doubt that it's a superficial injury to be recovered from over a few hours. That's not a through-and-through with a bullet, it's a blob of plasma losing containment against your skin.

Getting shot with a slugthrower is basically a matter of luck: if the projectile doesn't hit any vital blood vessels (or vital organs, both because of their own functions and because of their tendency to be full of blood vessels), you'll survive, barring untreated infection from scraps of clothing or dirt forced into the wound. If it doesn't hit any joints, you'll probably heal with at most a little stiffness. Getting shot with a blaster weapon means, again, deep tissue damage regardless of where you're hit. Severe burns, probably necrosis because a bunch of that is just gonna be ash and char. Probably part of why bacta was so important: it makes it possible to regrow big chunks of missing flesh. If you get hit by a powerful enough weapon in the torso or head, you're probably dead instantly. A limb shot wouldn't kill you--little or no blood loss--but you'd probably lose the use of that limb, either permanently or barring a lengthy hospital stay.

I mean, that's conjecture, but the dangers though different and hypothetical should still be real. Those Ewoks were getting one-tapped just like Stormtroopers and Rebel mooks. It was pure plot armor in the same vein as a contemporary-Earth protagonist getting shot in the upper arm but never actually dying or having the limb crippled. I recall it being something like a 20% chance that a shoulder shot with any sort of firearm is essentially death inside of a couple minutes, barring immediate medical treatment.

*shrug*

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43