Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103538 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2016, 07:24:06 pm »

WW2 strategy lesson (not yet tested in the game because I'm doing the 1936 start), but its difficult to decisively destroy enemy units unless you surround them.
Yeah, mainiac said he uses tanks for that. I haven't found it necessary in HOI4 so far, which is why I think infantry needs a nerf or tanks need a buff.

An entirely soft army is arty fodder.
Haven't had a problem here, actually. It's probably more a problem with the AI not building enough soft guns than anything else, to be fair.

It will, but sometimes you either don't have the resources to get both, or the time to research both, so picking the more versatile option as a stopgap measure is I think the better choice in that situation.

Edit: Also IIRC, AA doesn't eat up tungsten which makes it much easier to build for most small countries.
Fair. I'm thinking about an ideal setup (and when you're able to trade with USSR/USA).

E:
I've never seen any AI player move fast enough to really actively try and avoid encirclement.
The nation AI is pretty terrible, yeah. Battle plan AI is also bad but that's less noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:26:02 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2016, 07:35:24 pm »

I think part of the problem is that the current combat width numbers are frankly insane.  I have no idea if they're realistic, but... 120 combat width?  With an infantry division representing like... 8?  You could practically have a whole war on a half dozen tiny provinces if not for the threat of encirclement.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2016, 07:51:10 pm »

8 for an infantry division? 30 is my golden number.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2016, 08:05:52 pm »

I think maybe my love for tanks has come from the fact that I play multiplayer a lot, and human players are far more canny and responsive than the AI.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2016, 09:11:39 pm »

i just mean the defaults back when you don't have the experience to modify anything.

...also why?  A smaller division would give you more control over where you mass or split your infantry wouldn't it?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2016, 09:40:08 pm »

I think maybe my love for tanks has come from the fact that I play multiplayer a lot, and human players are far more canny and responsive than the AI.

I'm sure! Sadly, I do not have many friends who play Paradox games!

i just mean the defaults back when you don't have the experience to modify anything.

EDIT: I am now considering an Airborne invasion of great Britain.

...also why?  A smaller division would give you more control over where you mass or split your infantry wouldn't it?

Well, I use a mainly infantry army which means that bigger divisions give me crazy good stats to be able to take on numerical superior enemies. On Democratic Netherlands play through my divisions consistently had over 1000 practical defense (usually like 1100-1300) which means a lot fewer casualties. Also, it's a lot quicker to reinforce big divisions than train new small ones, more efficient for the front lines I find anyways.'

EDIT: I am now considering an airborne invasion of Great Britain.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 09:58:02 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 17, 2016, 03:41:42 am »

This. On top of previous comments on AI encirclement, I have yet to see AI to build medium/heavy tanks or even create a proper light tank division with more than 0 organization.
Right now INF+ART divisions roll over everything in single player. Even more if you have enough IC to change ART to medium or heavy SPART. They are only little worse in organization and defense, but you gain soft attack, breakthrough, some hardness and early on even enough armor to make enemy deal half damage (not piercing).

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #352 on: June 17, 2016, 04:19:05 am »

Tried playing as France again. Was trying to build up my industry after reassembling the Entente, only for Germany to invade Che... Czek... fuggit, Czechosolikoavikia and drag me along with them.
My planes. I didn't build enough planes.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2016, 05:02:51 am »

My best game so far has been as Romania. Early conquest of Hungary took a bit longer than I'd liked it to, mostly because I was stupidly low on manpower and attacking across a river is rather costly. Then, once I got that shit under wraps, I figured I'd go fo Bulgaria since they're small and not dangerous, plus it opens up the route for a possible Greek invasion as well.
Trouble was, they join the Axis a day before capitulating, dragging in everyone on their side. Luckily for me I was in the Comintern at that point, and instead of the Germans pulling a fast one and kicking the USSR in the balls the reverse happens (and the Germans still get blamed for breaking the M-R pact) and the reds sweep south from Poland and into my lands to help defend against the enemy. We hold the southern front rather easily, even managing to liberate bits of Austria all the while the entire north is slowly but surely pushed back towards Berlin.
I help out by sniping any victory points or resources I can and sure enough, the war ends by '41 I think. I got some nice chunks of germany for myself and now have some good resource income, with a bunch of factories to make use of it all. The only issue is manpower still, because my population is stupidly low, and even with some bonuses I'm still barely breaking a couple 100k fresh men at all times, which is going to be a real problem if I want to take over the rest of Europe :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2016, 08:47:27 am »

So one doesn't have to lower neutrality for 40 years to get to war anymore?

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:14 am »

No, but there are restrictions. Fascists can justify wars pretty much immediately, but non-aligned nations and democracies have to wait until the world tension is high enough, and even then there are restrictions - democracies usually can only justify against nations that have generated world tension.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2016, 10:36:27 am »

Used an airborne army, trained in less than a year, to successfully paradrop in to Great Britain and take them out of the war. Dropped into Greece to force earlier capitulation. Dropped into Norway, where Sweden was promptly dragged into the war. All this in response to the US entering the war. Had some panicky moments, but they got bogged down in Sicily. Now we are in a three-way war against most of the Western Hemisphere and the Soviets.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2016, 06:05:28 pm »

Isn't the default generals 9 infantry?  Which would have a width of 18.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2016, 07:16:15 pm »

Japan, it's 1938 and Historical AI is on. Why the fuck did you just go to war with the US.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2016, 07:57:36 pm »

Japan, it's 1938 and Historical AI is on. Why the fuck did you just go to war with the US.

If they declared early war on the Phillipines they might do that.

Also, it feels like in some cases Generals don't get enough experience. I feel like if they should gain something from closing a front, or accomplishing encirclement, etc. etc.

EDIT: Is there a way to prevent the heavy losses thing when dropping in paratroopers? Or does that just always happen?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:59:07 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 51