Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103597 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #270 on: June 12, 2016, 08:20:56 pm »

Don't you get a knock on your door at 4 in the morning if you vote opposition?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 12, 2016, 08:22:02 pm »

Don't you get a knock on your door at 4 in the morning if you vote opposition?

You have door, tovarishch?  What are you hiding?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 12, 2016, 08:23:08 pm »

So is the gist of it, they simplified down the game from HofI III, but now its too simplified?

Labling the USSR a "totalitarian" government with no elections is just wrong.
How should they have done it?

However, I think there's a fallacy when you're labeled paranoid when dealing with a supposed trotskyite plot, and basically a failure when you end up with a civil war (for some reason) when you don't deal with it (so in reality you weren't paranoid in the first place).
Why? That actually sounds realistic, and a common Paradox event where both options are bad for you. As for your accuracy concerns, the whole point of Paradox games are you deviating from what actually happened with some degree of realism, so you can have cool stuff like Poland nuking Germany.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 12, 2016, 08:25:23 pm »

So is the gist of it, they simplified down the game from HofI III, but now its too simplified?

Nope.  They removed the useless clutter and now it's much better.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 12, 2016, 08:27:32 pm »

That's what I was trying to go for with simplified, thanks for the better description.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2016, 08:28:20 pm »

Simple implies less depth to me.  It's a game with more depth.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2016, 08:50:04 pm »

In reply to before about the whole OOB thing, IDK, you guys have a point, but still it wasn't unheard of (though I admit it was fairly rare) for officers--even generals--to be killed in action, usually via bombardment. BUT, whatever, it isn't a real big part of the game anyways, so let's put that to bed.

Simple implies less depth to me.  It's a game with more depth.

As to this. I don't know, in a lot of cases, it DOESN'T have more depth. It has the potential to have more depth, and for the Majors the gameplay is improved for sure, but there's a lot missing as it stands right now. Now, I don't mean to say anything particularly negative with that, it's still really fun! It just needs a little bit more. Right now (unlike HOI 3) there feels like there's a lot of waiting for the action to happen. I wish that national foci were a little more formative, unique, and in-depth (along with research in some cases) to help occupy the time before Danzig, which is generally when the shit hits the fan regardless of historical or not. That's my two cents.

EDIT: Not to mention the Air and Naval systems which both need a lot of tweaking, Naval more so.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:52:32 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2016, 10:05:26 pm »

The national foci weren't even in HOI3, the naval system needs tweaking but does everything the old one did and more.  Air is wonky, there might be some bug there.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2016, 10:40:13 pm »

I'm not particularly sure what you can do that active, with the aim to have a historical simulator. Before Germany decides to start the party, it is mostly just waiting. Its a marathon race, and everyone is trying to get prepared as possible before it starts. You can run the game faster. I dont think its good thing, to get involved as many conflicts before ww2 starts. Though getting that army experience is pretty good.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2016, 10:52:08 pm »

I'd say that it is much more simplified, in some good ways and some bad ways, but that's just my opinion.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2016, 11:06:32 pm »

I dont think its good thing, to get involved as many conflicts before ww2 starts. Though getting that army experience is pretty good.

1) Rush the monroe doctrine foci
2) Invade Venezula with the national guard
3) Put all that army experience into making divisions full of SP-ART
4) Show up in France
5) Realize my divisions are more then 60 wide and can't actually fight as a result
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2016, 11:18:19 pm »

I dont think its good thing, to get involved as many conflicts before ww2 starts. Though getting that army experience is pretty good.

1) Rush the monroe doctrine foci
2) Invade Venezula with the national guard
Fuck isolationists, get bitches
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2016, 01:04:58 am »

Speaking of WW2 misunderstandings, I think one of the worst ones is thinking the Nazis just wanted to kill the Jews. After all Jews were just half of the victims of the Holocaust and the Holocaust itself was just the beginning. After that, there were things ready for the Hunger Plan that would have killed 30 millions. Plus political and "hygienic" cleansings on top of that. 

This is the reason everyone should beware hatemongers, as sometimes the rhetoric they employ is not just a rhetoric but an actual ideology they will be more than willing to put into action if given a chance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2016, 01:15:27 am »

Jews, homosexuals, Disabled, Roma, Influential Christians and Catholics, resisters, Inter-racial couples, and people of African decent, and Jehova's witnesses.

Jews were more then 50% of the casualties in the Holocaust (5.9 million out of 11mil)

In a testament to how people don't have to fudge history for a political agenda I got this information from a Jewish website (well ok... the 5.9 is from Wikipedia).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:19:40 am by Neonivek »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2016, 01:15:48 am »

Writing anything on a phone is fucking horror arghhhh.
Let me not use quotes and make a very light (just like France's during WW2, hon hon hon) response.
Chamberlain admitelly did shit but it was limited mobilization at best, IIRC. He wasn't outright suicidal stupid, after all. Norway was a joke because Allied response had nowhere the size it should have and it was late and undecisive and shit. As for 1939/1940 D-Day... in Norways case it was pretty much impossible because Norway is, well, Norway, with mountains  fjords and stuff. As for Poland, we didin't actually need D-Day. Allies should have pushed or at least engaged western Germany (Siegfried line was so fucking stronk and well equipped and manned that it's mostly irrelevant) to force Hitler to focus on not getting conquered on second front and decisive allied action could have made Soviets not attack or actually even help (they had a thing for switching sides) Poland. No need for miracles, just for two of most powerful armies at the time to do something else than farting into their own arses.
UK blames France, France blames UK but in reality both didin't want war. Fuck both of them, you signed a defensive pact, you don't wait until everyone confirms, you declare war.
The knowledge that Allies knew about the pact comes from some American documents which say they also did knew and told British and French but they knew already. The actual British files have recently been made secret for another whoknows years and French ones are convinently lost. If I had my tinfoil hat on I would say that at this point I would't be suprised if Allies actually
made a deal with Hitler to not give a shit but it's hard to belive anyone could bę that stupid.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 51