Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103592 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2016, 03:12:25 pm »

Yes... To make it worse, a multitude of people from as far back as the original Treaty of Versailles repeatedly warned both England and France (and basically every government who participated in the WW1 allied war effort) that Germany would rearm and return more powerful than before. France, consisting mostly of French people, ignored the warnings, and England was devastated economically and unable to really do anything. The same economic devastation affected most of Europe and effectively prevented nations from caring too much about properly sorting Germany out past the harsh surrender (which was pretty obviously a huge mistake, recognized by many people, both at the time and later.)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2016, 03:25:10 pm »

The Soviets fucked up pretty badly too.  They collaborated in secret with Germany to allow them to build advanced weapons (tanks, military aircraft, that kind of thing) outside of Germany itself.  And thus away from the prying eyes of any investigators.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2016, 03:28:24 pm »

In short, the world created a monster and realized too late what it had done.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2016, 03:29:48 pm »

Also, IIRC, both UK and France and even US knew about Ribbentrop-Molotov (as in, the fact that Germany is going to attack, and possibly even more importantly, that the Soviets will too) pact as early as 24 or 25 August. They never told Poland. Allies so great at being allies, eh?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2016, 03:36:07 pm »

Yikes. Anyways, play HOI IV has made me wanna go back and try HOI III again.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2016, 03:42:41 pm »

On the topic of the game itself, I'm on the fence about getting it.  How does it compare to HoI 3?  And can AI nations (particularly the US) actually succeed at naval invasions this time around?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2016, 03:57:49 pm »

For the first time in any paradox game I've played, the AI is actually great at naval invasions. Unfortunately, that's the only thing it's great at currently, in my experience...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2016, 04:04:06 pm »

On the topic of the game itself, I'm on the fence about getting it.  How does it compare to HoI 3?

Well while it's important to realize they're different games, HOI IV is no HOI III. The quality is just a bit lower. It's full of good ideas though, and given DLCs and modding it has a lot of potential to be a great game. As of right now though? Barebones. I would wait.

And can AI nations (particularly the US) actually succeed at naval invasions this time around?

The AI is much better about Naval Invasions, I've observed a successful solo invasion of Italy, as well as the Allies using present beachheads to transfer forces and reinforce their position in Europe. Having said that, some of their success comes from the AI's tendency to not defend coastlines heavily. ESPECIALLY FRANCE'S. The AI overall however, is a bit looney, and doesn't really consider the war past short-term war goals. For example, they will prioritize taking the big VP prizes without really taking into account the precariousness of their situation. That translates to GB desperately invading Italy to capture Rome in 1941, which doesn't really make sense as it tied up much of their forces with no real positive benefit.

EDIT: Specifically, the well-know Black Ice team is beginning their HOI IV overhaul which is sure to hold it higher standards, wait for that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:09:20 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2016, 04:18:13 pm »

Air combat - abstracted is ok, problem is UI is a disaster and doesn't show anything. You are gimping yourself if you don't learn mechanics behind it - creating wings with 100+ planes, assigning more than 6 wings per 'air province' etc. Both creates so much unnecessary micro. They also need to add ability to make orders in multiple 'air provinces' for a single wing.

What wing size should we use instead?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »

Personally, I almost always use wings of 12 or 20 aircraft.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2016, 04:33:24 pm »

How do you ever achieve air superiority? I've seen the AI assign 500+ planes to an air region

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2016, 04:36:34 pm »

How do you ever achieve air superiority? I've seen the AI assign 500+ planes to an air region

I think by "Wings" he means entire groups rather then 12-20 individual airplanes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2016, 04:46:55 pm »

I think by "Wings" he means entire groups rather then 12-20 individual airplanes.

I group all airplanes in wings of 12-20, assuming that by a "wing" you mean the number of airplanes in a group. The "6 wings per region" is bs and untrue as far as I can see. At the height of the war in my first game I had approximately 3000 airplanes assigned to Northern France (~500) , Benelux (~2000), and Western Germany (~500). At different points, I have seen between 30 and 500 planes contribute to a battle.

EDIT: I'm also not really sure why there's any sort of limit on aircraft operations. The way Air Support is calculates is perfect, so its not like you can have 3000 aircraft attacking one division at once. If you have 3000 aircraft you should be able to assign them however you want, as it is now, it generally works out fine, but it irks me that it's not intended that way.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:55:07 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2016, 05:04:18 pm »

honestly air wing assignment is one of the most tedious portions of the game for me. I wish I could just select a number of air zones and assign a number of aircraft to them and let the AI handle basing and assignment based on enemy aircraft detection and hostile actions because moving my air wings around constantly to fend off the UK's bombing runs is annoying. As soon as I shift coverage to one area they move to another. If I spread them out to cover each zone equally, there's not enough to stop them.

I'm also annoyed that air wings can only be assigned to a single zone, even if they have range to cover several. This forces needless player action to split larger airwings into smaller ones to further spread them around.

The whole interface is annoying, and it could be so much easier to use with just a few changes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 12, 2016, 05:08:44 pm »

Indeed, HOI IV is a mixed bag, a lot of great/intuitive changes and a lot of really terrible ones.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 51