Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103579 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2016, 12:12:25 am »

I dunno the Holocaust did incentivize the creation of trains and the labor that they benefited from certainly helped somewhat. (I have opposing historian views in my research)

I'd personally would just tie it in so the Hitler bonuses only show up and increase through the Holocaust.

Want to be Germany without the Holocaust? Well you are going to do it without any leader bonuses.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:15:53 am by Neonivek »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:46 am »

Does the game actually end in 1948. I am now in Cold War mode, but I really want to "finish" the game.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2016, 12:21:38 am »

The Great Purge did not kill 10 million people.  Perhaps you are mixing it up with the famines.

I am not. I am adding all the Purges together. The Great Purge itself was only ~2million. Yet together Stalin managed to kill about 10 Million.

It kind of REALLY makes me wonder why people remember the Great Purge individually... but then I remember that the rest of the purges weren't all that known for quite some time.

*does more research*

OHHHH GAWD!!! Wow Stalin was a monster! O-o how the world is he not more famous?
Without the Great purge there would not be Stalingrad, because the Germans will never be able to advance that far.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2016, 12:32:17 am »

I am not. I am adding all the Purges together.

You are talking about events that happened before 1936 and which the player has no control over.  Your complaint was that the Soviet player had a national focus to do these things.  The player does not have a national focus to do things that happened before 1936.

OHHHH GAWD!!! Wow Stalin was a monster! O-o how the world is he not more famous?

Stalin is one of the more famous people of the 20th century.  How much more famous do you expect him to be?

I'm guessing that you are new to world war 2 history.  Let me give you spoilers:
You are going to come across a large number of shocking events.  These will fall into two categories:
1) Things that are surprising but not very big in the grand scheme of things.  (There was once a battle fought with machine guns between a submarine and a blimp.  The only casualty was the guy who fell in the water and was eaten by a shark.)
2) Things that are surprising and seem really important (Hey guys, did you know that it was totally the US's fault that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor?)

Literally EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING you learn in category 2 will be taken massively out of context and the result of extremely shoddy scholarship that uses extremely implausible numbers from untrustworthy sources or simply states records say something different from what they are.  The reason why things in category 2 are so surprising is BECAUSE THEY ARE WRONG.

A lot of the stuff in category 1 is true.  You might think that there is a 3rd category of surprising facts.  There is not.  You will think there is.  You will be wrong.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2016, 12:37:00 am »

I actually find it hilarious. I wouldn't mind if Facist Canada was the Empire of Beavers or the Cadre of Caribou.
No, it should be named Quebec.

Damn son.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2016, 12:38:22 am »

Crimes against humanity, amirite?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2016, 12:38:53 am »

Crimes against humanity, amirite?

Oddly enough... That did happen :P

Surprisingly more then you would think.

You might think that there is a 3rd category of surprising facts.  There is not.  You will think there is.  You will be wrong.

Whoa calm down!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:44:29 am by Neonivek »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2016, 12:47:02 am »

Learn from the mistakes of those who went before you.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2016, 12:51:06 am »

Does the game actually end in 1948. I am now in Cold War mode, but I really want to "finish" the game.
There's an end of game screen, with the option to continue playing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2016, 12:58:39 am »

Learn from the mistakes of those who went before you.

I dunno. The only thing I found that suggests anything lower (which was 3.5 million) wasn't from a very reputable source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin#Calculating_the_number_of_victims

However I am going to use this as my official source.

---

As for Quebec... GOODNESS are things weird there from my limited and biased perspective.

---

Ok TELL ME!!! "Get the Nobel Peace Prize" is one of the things that can happen in the game.

Stalin managed to get nominated twice O_O
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:06:36 am by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:14 am »

If you're new to WWII in general, I heartily recommend learning more about it. You can't really understate its importance in forming the modern world.

There's an end of game screen, with the option to continue playing.
There's no new tech, etc. though, so it's kinda bland.

My first game as Commie Yugoslavia is going hilariously badly. I spent most of the leadup time building factories and infrastructure. After Germany invaded Belgium and the Allies came romping along, I thought it'd be the perfect time to attack Italy. It wasn't.
My armies were mostly infantry+artillery divisions, with motorised infantry and tanks making up the difference. A few mountaineers scattered about as well.
Air force consisted of about 800 interwar fighters. Navy was something like five ships. I didn't pay much attention to the ships.

War was declared, and I moved my armies in to retake Istria. The Soviets offered to help immediately but didn't really do anything for a while.
At first it was going well. My artillery was blowing the snot out of the Italian border army, which appeared to be mostly made up of infantry. But after a few days my outdated planes were all wrecked, and the Axis had air superiority for the rest of the fighting. German Panzer divisions started pouring out of Austria, forcing my front lines into a weird shape and cutting off about a dozen divisions who were promptly massacred.
At this point it's painfully obvious that Yugoslavia is outgunned, so the obvious solution is to switch to a war economy and start throwing more tanks and artillery at the stinky Germans. Which didn't work, either. I ran out of manpower in very short order and lacked the political power to raise conscription.
By the time the Soviet front lines extended to the Balkans, I'd lost all of my manpower and 2/3rds of the country. After that everyone sat in a deadlock for a while before I finally capitulated. RIP.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2016, 01:42:42 am »

When is the End screen? '49? Because I most certainly won the war, is it that peace conference thing where you divide up all the territories?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2016, 01:50:02 am »

Code: [Select]
END_DATE = "1949.1.1.1"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2016, 01:52:26 am »

You can play past that point from what people tell me.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2016, 02:29:24 am »

When is the End screen? '49? Because I most certainly won the war, is it that peace conference thing where you divide up all the territories?
Peace conference is not the end. There is still a ton of things to clean up.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 51