Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103531 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2016, 03:09:36 pm »

Any country that existed at the time, the three main factions of Axis, Allies and Comintern and certain nations get the option of forming their own factions during the game.

There are a LOT of countries that existed at the time... Are you absolutely certain?

Because that sounds amazing on paper (Since if I ever got this I want to play the greatest country in the world... Canada :P)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2016, 03:14:17 pm »

Yes, if you don't pick any of the interesting big players you are offered the world map. Anything that is on said world map is playable. And everything from the time period is on there. How much certain countries are fleshed out is debatable, but that's easily moddable if you want more flavour and specific decisions for any country.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2016, 03:21:59 pm »

Any country that existed at the time, the three main factions of Axis, Allies and Comintern and certain nations get the option of forming their own factions during the game.

There are a LOT of countries that existed at the time... Are you absolutely certain?

Because that sounds amazing on paper (Since if I ever got this I want to play the greatest country in the world... Canada :P)
Have you ever played a Paradox grand strategy game before? Almost all of them allow you to play as any country. Although as Jopax said, how fleshed out each country is varies.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2016, 03:31:55 pm »

Yeah the first time I player HoI (the first one), I've picked up Cuba. It was not very interesting though lol, with only two provinces, non-existent industry, and basically zero things happening all the way through.
._.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2016, 03:37:00 pm »

Of course you can play ANY country that existed at the time. This is par for the course for Paradox (well, except CK2, where different religions and government types are gated by DLC that were only released over the course of the years). But certainly in EU4, Vicky 2, HOI3, etc.

There is even an achievement for joining the Axis as Canada in HOI IV.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 09, 2016, 03:38:18 pm »

My first game in HoI IV was Turkey, and I turned it fascist into the Neo-Ottoman Empire. Had a ton of fun joining the Axis and somehow beating the USSR in the south while Germany was getting fucked in the north. Australia's endless naval invasions into the Arabian Peninsula really pissed me off though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »

Have you ever played a Paradox grand strategy game before? Almost all of them allow you to play as any country. Although as Jopax said, how fleshed out each country is varies.

It is just that there are a lot of very minor countries that existed back then that had nil to no actual influence on the world (Plus quite a few that would come into being)

Though since a lot of them were colonies, it does cut down quite a bit.

The ability to play them is surprising.

It would be like playing Crusader Kings and being able to play... I dunno... China :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2016, 03:43:48 pm »

Axies, Allies and Comintern are in from the start, but a lot of countries (All of them?) can create their own faction.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2016, 03:48:03 pm »

Yes you can play Luxembourg, but it's not a very engaging experience. Most colonies are part of a larger empire, so you can't be french Indochina for example. That said you get a load of quite surprising options, Japan's Manchurian puppet state is playable, as is Mongolia and a couple of Chinese Cliques that are supposed to represent the Chinese warlords I think. Other playable nations include all the South American countries and Bhutan. Whether they're actually interesting to play is another matter completely.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2016, 03:52:50 pm »

It is just that there are a lot of very minor countries that existed back then that had nil to no actual influence on the world (Plus quite a few that would come into being)

Though since a lot of them were colonies, it does cut down quite a bit.

The ability to play them is surprising.

Don't be too impressed... like people have already said, playing a tiny insignificant country typically means you have little to nothing to do. Although it can be amusing to see what you CAN do, which has been a staple of Paradox games for a long time (world conquest starting as Ryukyu in 1444 being the stereotype).

It would be like playing Crusader Kings and being able to play... I dunno... China :P

IDKIUT but that's pretty much what half the playerbase said when India was added to CK2.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2016, 03:55:44 pm »

Yeah, the historical focus is really good at recreating the war up to France getting knocked out, but in the three games I've done, Germany always has trouble sealing the deal with Norway.
I wonder if Germany would have an easier time with the 1939 start vs. the 1936. Less secondary nations with generic trees building up giant 50+ division armies for them to have to push through.

I feel like this is especially true for fighting Russia, who will spend those three years building hundreds and hundreds of divisions. I've yet to see Germany make any headway into Russia, while IRL they made it all the way to Moscow before getting fucked by winter. Germany AI as a whole seems to not do so well. IRL Denmark was knocked out in a day, but I've seen Germany get stuck fighting there for months, and Norway never seems to get done because the Germany AI can't into naval invasions. In my Turkey game, Germany was fighting one battle trying to cross a strait into Sweden for 2 years straight. They kept 150 divisions there, and still declared war on Russia, leaving me to do most of the fighting. It was hilariously bad.

IDKIUT

wut

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2016, 04:50:33 pm »

So, story time. For reference, I'm playing as the USA with historical focuses off. The war starts with, as usual, Danzig or War, but as soon as Poland capitulates Germany decides that the USSR looks mighty tasty and attacks. The western front is completely open, and a British naval invasion opens the gates for my fairly sizable army to go through. Germany eventually declares war on Belgium and the Netherlands as well, opening yet another front. The Anglo-American forces are starting to stall when my first armored divisions start rolling off the line, and with Patton at the lead we begin pushing into the heart of the Reich. They then call in Italy. Eventually Germany capitulates, and the combined Allies (which by this time are quite large) roll over Italy's comparatively puny armies. This whole time, Britain has been single-handedly maintaining air superiority and bombing the crap out of the Axis. Peace deal time, and the borders are restored to their previous states - only a little bordergore in the Czechoslovakia area.

Then the USSR bullies Poland into giving up its eastern territories.

I am having exactly none of that, so after a deal of buildup Operation Unthinkable kicks off in 1942, drawing in the Soviet Union, Republican Spain, Albania, Ethiopia, and Mongolia on Team Comintern and pretty much everyone else but the Asian countries on Team Allies. I'm rushing nuclear research so I can get the bomb ahead of schedule (mid-'44), but until that happens I'm just pushing the Russians back. They're actually fighting Japan at the same time, so it's a bit easier than it otherwise might be. Eventually, they capitulate when I nuke Stalingrad in '44. Peace conference, yadda yadda, and Japan takes a huge amount of territory out of the middle of Russia, leaving the newly-formed Russian Federation unfortunately split in half. This will not stand. Time for Operation Downfall!

This war actually draws in a shit ton of people, and spans from Bulgaria to the Home Islands. I get a little nuke happy, and by a little nuke happy I mean that I nuked Japan at least five times and several other countries at least twice. I even dropped two nukes on the same naval invasion just so it would be over faster. Japan capitulates, and eventually the last Japanese ally left standing is Revolutionary Iran. They go down, and it's finally time for the peace deal to end all peace deals. No more bordergore, a world free from fascism and communism...and the game crashes. I reload, only to find my "Puppet" CB against Japan is now invalid, and all I can to is change their government to a democracy. So I do, click "done" and hope for the best. And who do I find controlling the Home Islands (bar Tokyo)? Fucking Poland. Fucking Poland is now on the Japanese Home Islands. And it's a weird blue Poland too, because red-ish was taken by Commie!Poland when it broke away in a civil war. Which it then lost. Now I'm just pushing through to 1948 for the achievement. Pax Americana at last, and hey, no cold war! At the cost of millions of civilian lives, sure, but  hey, that's the price of Freedom™.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2016, 04:57:34 pm »

I'd wonder what the expansions could be but they have some room such as other, but not too distant, time periods or even earlier WW1 ones. (uhhh... I have no idea what time the game stops at... End of Cold war? or really starts at except I believe 4 years before WW2)

Stronger focus on perhaps the less popular countries. Making say the Swiss an outright fully fledged faction.

And Aliens!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2016, 06:32:22 pm »

Well, I hope they do a Cold War DLC, as I think the engine is just asking for it. That's the only DLC I really care about, I think that mods will give every country an interesting tech tree(s). Also, middle powers are incredibly fun to play as AND give you a chance to come out as a leading/nuclear power coming out of the war if you play your cards right.

EDIT: Just found the achievement entitled "Poland can into space"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:55:18 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2016, 07:06:30 pm »

Apparently fascist Australia is called Empire of the Platypus, and people are shitting themselves in anger about it. I wonder what other hidden name changes there are in there. I know Denmark becomes the North Sea Empire or something like that when fascist, Turkey becomes the Neo-Ottoman Empire and Switzerland becomes the Swiss Imperial Confederation when fascist.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 51