Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103495 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »

I personally find it hard to get hype for yet another strategy game set in WW2.
Well it's kinda hard to set a game in Vietnam or Iraq, since these are less "Triumph Of The Will" and more "guy on drugs/religion massacring civilians as his incomptetent CO watches". It's the same reason you don't see a Boer War game.

*yawn*. Regardless, there are loads of Vietnam games.

It's more that those wars weren't really on a grand enough scale to actually be exciting to manage at a strategic level. You can't really strategically manage guerrilla warfare and endless patrols. I have to say that I'm pretty much agreed on not being able to get hype over WWII, it's been done so many times and I just don't find it that exciting now that I've done all the major battles in one way or another and know how it's all going to turn out.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2016, 06:45:35 pm »

You can't really strategically manage guerrilla warfare and endless patrols.
You mean, like XCOM2? (well, ok you don't manage patrols in that, but your enemy does)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2016, 07:48:38 pm »

It's more that those wars weren't really on a grand enough scale to actually be exciting to manage at a strategic level. You can't really strategically manage guerrilla warfare and endless patrols.
I could see that happening, tbh. Huge, scrollable strategic map where you set up patrols or traps or whatever and then participate in events when two sides meet or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2016, 06:19:26 am »

Plus the Boer war had some huge battles?

That aside though, they could come up with some fictional war scenario. Yes WW2 is as sucked dry as you can suck anything dry, but then if you look a the alt history scenarios you should get lots of new interesting stuff, see for example the Kaiserreich or Fatherland scenarios.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2016, 01:58:28 pm »

You can't really strategically manage guerrilla warfare and endless patrols.
You mean, like XCOM2? (well, ok you don't manage patrols in that, but your enemy does)

That's tactics, plus a really basic strategic layer put on top. Whilst it's great for that sort of game, I was more meaning that the HoI engine/type would struggle to deal with that.

I'd love a cold war version, or a futuristic one. It's not that WW2 isn't a fascinating era, I'm just a bit bored of 4 games that are just incremental additions to the same old formula.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2016, 02:03:25 pm »

While I'm fine with WW2 in this case (because I love the tech and look of the period, plus it kinda defined the world going forward and is still kinda felt), I wouldn't mind some other settings or time periods being explored.
Hell, some sort of steampunk universe with warring countries and the like would be pretty damn cool with battalions of steam tanks and walkers duking it out alongside regular joe infantry.

Anyways, I finally have some cash but I'm not sure if I'll preorder just yet since there's some other stuff vying for the money atm. Probably gonna wait and see some more of it, or maybe even give it a try to see how it actually runs on my laptop (because PD games have no rhyme or reason when it comes to performance, HoI3 was fine, then CK2 and EU4 were shit and unplayable, then Stellaris ran just fine)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2016, 07:01:26 pm »

I am pretty sure that HoI IV will ultimately extend well into Cold War just like HoI II did. I belive the end date (as in to which point tech and stuff is simulated, you can play forever by changing the files) is something around 1950, but there will be expansions. And hey, mods.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2016, 11:07:31 pm »

Officially and theoretically, Hearts of Iron II Doomsday Armageddon goes up to 1964. But in practice that's only tech and end date. There's really not much at all in the way of events (that is, what drives the AI strategically) past 1946 or so.

I think the mod New World Order 2 for Darkest Hour (one of the two HoI2 remakes of sorts) covers the Cold War entirely, but to what extent and with what degree of quality, I don't know. It was also developed over years and years, since the times of vanilla HoI2.

It's largely unreasonable to expect a single game to encompass both WW2 and the Cold War with HoI-level detail. And unless you go substantially ahistorical, any post-WW2 game would be terribly boring and uneventful unless the focus is shifted, to the point it's not a Hearts of Iron. HoI is a World War simulator, and there hasn't been anything remotely like a global war since WW2. Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria have been nothing but skirmishes compared to it, and therefore considerably uninteresting to play from HoI's strategic perspective and focus. You could lower the scale of the game to better adapt to those conflicts, but then you'd remove the possibility of a manageable world war. You can't have the cake and eat it too.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2016, 11:16:08 pm »

Now something set in a modern day with the ability to participate in the war on terror and international microaggressions (or macroaggressions, Russia) would probably do well in an engine crossed between HoI and EU or CK. I could see Paradox doing good things in a near-modern/modern time period. Figure a good start year would be 1990 or perhaps '91 if you want to avoid the Gulf War. And I could see Paradox doing very well with it, so long as they focus on the proper aspects of the time period, which is a problem I only have with Stellaris, and it's still eaten up so much of my time.

Anyways, I'll probably preorder this too, since I'm a sucker for Paradox games.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 03:43:27 am »

Now something set in a modern day with the ability to participate in the war on terror and international microaggressions (or macroaggressions, Russia) would probably do well in an engine crossed between HoI and EU or CK.
I'd say the game that best describes the cold war is actually Victoria. Space race was, like, 100% prestige (to paraphrase Feynman "The Space race is like sex, there are some practical results, but that's not why we did it".) There were constant revolutions in the "Third World", and it mattered quite a bit which ideology you followed. Technology was developed yearly that changed the word (Nuclear power, space ships, open heart surgery, micro computers, the list goes on...) I don't remember if Vicky has a proxy war mechanic, but it can be simulated with events.

I could see Paradox doing good things in a near-modern/modern time period. Figure a good start year would be 1990 or perhaps '91 if you want to avoid the Gulf War. And I could see Paradox doing very well with it, so long as they focus on the proper aspects of the time period, which is a problem I only have with Stellaris, and it's still eaten up so much of my time.
Actually modern day is dangerous. There are people in power today who won't like the way they are in your game (something as basic as if Hollande or Sarkozy has a higher intrigue score, or as sensitive as the alternative ways the 2010 Korean Worker's Party conference could have gone.)  It's better to stick either to the pre-1990s (Cold War is a nice time frame for this), or the post-2020s (like Supreme Ruler 2)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2016, 08:58:57 am »

So it's out tommorrow evening it seems (Swedish time as usual). Anyone know if they'll be doing preloads?

I caved in the end and got the cadet version, the GMG 25% off made it rather cheap for what it was, and I'm expecting to waste a better part of tommorrow evening on it unless something prevents me from doing so.
AS - IG

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2016, 09:01:42 am »

No preload.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2016, 10:33:29 am »

No preload.
Yeah they're doing the same kind of take as they release Stellaris. Might be people raging at them since they release it on a monday, but I haven't stalked any forums of it. And since Paradox is a Swedish company I doubt they have many people at work on weekends.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2016, 05:09:52 pm »

At least it means major bugs will be nuked by the time I get to play it >.>
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2016, 05:24:59 pm »

From what I've seen of the various lets plays and streams there wasn't much of those, or they were very well hidden :S

In any case, will report on the stability and everything once I get some hours in.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 51