Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103444 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2016, 02:21:10 pm »

It's out! And I have no idea what im doing. Quick started as America in 1936 and started building civilian factories cuz the Great Depression. No Idea if its helping.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2016, 02:29:05 pm »

Quick started as America in 1936 and started building civilian factories cuz the Great Depression. No Idea if its helping.

That's still debated to this day, so don't sweat it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2016, 05:05:53 pm »

Welp, I just sunk 4 hours into a game of facist Polan, was doing pretty okayish until the big read bear turned its attention towards me, and with them having somewhere between 2 and 10 times my numbers there wasn't really a winning condition, especially since all my axis allies were uselessly tied up in the west. Still, beat them bloody with over 10 times the kills (they lost over 500k men I lost a bit over 50k).

Anyways, first impressions, it's good, it's really good.I'm liking the changes and they're for the most part intuitive, some of the UI is a bit quirky and annoying (planning comes to mind, tho that might just be inexpirience on my part), and it's lacking some quality of life things, or rather, it's hiding them behind keyboard shortcuts and combos, so instead of having a neat button to place something at the top of the queue you gotta shift-click the regular higher priority arrow, it's not horrible but it takes some getting used to, and I'm having trouble figuring out why exactly did they need to save that bit of space in the interface.

As far as performance and bugs go, performace is ok, the framerate isn't top notch, but I'll see how it goes after kicking down the settings to a minimum, since there's a lot of eye-candy stuff that's on that I don't really need. Bugs on the other hand haven't happened in my 4 hours of play, atleast none that I've noticed, so they did a bang on job there. Anyways, can't do much more since I have classes in the morning but I'm thinking of going commie France tommorrow to see how that works out.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2016, 05:07:27 pm »

Quick started as America in 1936 and started building civilian factories cuz the Great Depression. No Idea if its helping.

That's still debated to this day, so don't sweat it.

It actually turned out to be a good idea since you can use the factories to produce trade goods to help yourself get back to full strength: America 1936 starts at a deficit of infantry weapons and support items. By having the factories make more factories and using the new factories to make trade goods for the construction of the weapons you can somewhat quickly get yourself out of the slump. You can't get out of the "Something- Isolationist" economic policy yet and that hurts the production, but getting this done early helped big time when it came to shoring up the existing units you start with.

Next game now that I kinda have the basic idea down: Filipino world domination.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2016, 05:41:11 pm »

Still on the fence as well, I recall HoI III struggling until the addons released - any crashes, any big issues, how flexible is it, any mod support, share your opinions: )?

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2016, 06:33:29 pm »

Still on the fence as well, I recall HoI III struggling until the addons released - any crashes, any big issues, how flexible is it, any mod support, share your opinions: )?

I'm not finding many big bugs, but then I've only been playing as 'Murica for the last few hours. No crashes so far, 3 hours of gaming so far.
By flexibility, I assume you mean gameplay-wise? It's like HoI 3 but with all the shiny new upgrades of all the things they learned from CK2, EU4, and Stellaris. So it's almost decidedly just a wargame. Some diplomacy options and such too, but at its Heart (of Iron) it's just a WW2 sim. Some fun alternate history stuff available, of course, but that's kinda it.
Mod support is as good as Stellaris, some people have already began editing flags and character portraits. Steam Workshop integration and all that jazz.

tl;dr: Everything Hearts of Iron 3 was, but with modern touches and some new gameplay features I have yet to pick up on.

Rating: 9 out of 10 giga-Hitlers.

Edit* Also kinda digging the radio music DLC for America. Quite atmospheric. Foresee incoming music modding.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:06:41 pm by JimboM12 »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 07:03:05 pm »

tl;dr: Everything Hearts of Iron 3 was, but with modern touches and some new gameplay features I have yet to pick up on.

So in other words, it's a miserable disappointment that I'll still be slightly bitter about buying years after the fact, and then some?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2016, 07:19:14 pm »

If you don't like wargames, why are you playing HOI?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2016, 05:09:03 am »

I always found my biggest problem with HoI to be the lack of enjoyable struggle. I either won with great superiority or got my ass kicked, both of which were kind of boring? The snatching-victory-from-the-jaws-of-defeat kind of excitement was lacking.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2016, 09:08:17 am »

Things I need to know before buying it:
How is the supply system? Still everything coming out from the capital? Stupid convoy routes still there? Is it a bit more flexible than it was in HoI 3?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2016, 09:25:45 am »

I'm kinda disappointed that food and th various nazi atricities a la hunger pllan arent in.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2016, 09:51:58 am »

How is the supply system? Still everything coming out from the capital? Stupid convoy routes still there? Is it a bit more flexible than it was in HoI 3?
Supply is much better than in hoi3. Here's the relevant dev diary.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2016, 10:51:05 am »

Supply is much better than in hoi3. Here's the relevant dev diary.

Thanks. Seems good enough.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2016, 11:54:57 am »

Took a spin as Spain last night and withered the fascist nationalists. Went from "What the hell am I doing?" to "Encirclement journeyman" fairly quick, and despite barely any of my divisions having any equipment, (Probably only 1 in 4 of my soldiers had guns, poor guys) I was able to force their surrender by the summer of 36 with some help from Soviet Volunteers.

Now I have to figure out what a Republican Spain would do with a world war looming. Allies? Soviets? My own way?  :-\ I feel like I'm going to get invaded no matter what.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2016, 12:53:40 pm »

Historically? Probably the same as Fascist Spain, only with Soviet/Allied sympathies instead of Axis ones.  Spain was exhausted after the Civil War, and whichever side won, its leaders would know that a second war might be enough to put them over the edge. In the worst case, it tries to stay neutral until Germany invades out of some foolish pipe dream to install a friendly government, secure Gibraltar, and secure additional bases to push their sub envelope out even further at the same time, but ends up embroiled in a second Peninsular War that makes Tito's war in Yugoslavia look mild, but I suspect even Hitler isn't quite that foolish.

In your game? Follow your dreams.  Want to save France?  Try to save France.  Want to turn your backs on the bourgoise Allies and go full Communist?  Rebuild and prepare to bathe Europe in red.  Fear the Axis?  Turn the Pyrennes into the front lines for a Fortaleza de España. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:56:46 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 51