Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth  (Read 11298 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« Reply #210 on: February 14, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

26th Limestone, 1056
Ambush!  Several goblin pikemen and a crossbowman surprised a hapless metalworker as he sought some hematite from the distant vein.  Silverus was the closest, and came to the rescue, firing his crossbow and managing to kill two of the pikemen before the crossbowman felled him.  Several of the other military dwarves, led by Nosey, arrived in time to see Silverus fall to the ground, covered in blood.  They fell upon the attacking goblins and ripped them limb from limb in revenge, losing three more dwarves to the crossbowman in the process.  Nosey, furious at the marksgoblin's clear superiority, charged straight into the hail of death and cut the goblin into pieces with his axe, somehow sustaining no injuries to himself.

With Silverus's death, command of the marksdwarves fell to Kroma, as the next most experienced marksdwarf.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

27th Limestone, 1056

Bricktop:

Well, it seems we have had some real losses while fighting the goblins this time... It may only be a matter of time until they try a full-scale siege against us. I think I will go and talk with Surath about my plans for a Citizens Militia. In the event of a siege, we may find our relatively small army overwhelmed. If, however, a number of the fortress' citizens were trained in basic military skills then in the event of our army being defeated the militia could fill in the gap as a last resort. Obviously, as the head miner I will be volunteering myself to lead this militia, as miners have a long tradition of fighting for their fortress.

Yes, later today I'll go and talk to Surath about this. Of course, it would mostly have to be wrestling only for now, but maybe if we kept the some of the weapons carried by these goblin ambushers? They might be bad quality, but its surely good enough for the militia. I mean, for the most part we'll just be working as usual and its only as a last resort anyway.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

Nosey's Journel

<Elegible>

Today, I write this entry with the blood of our natural Enemy. Goblin, ofcourse. Some would assume the Elephant. Our brethren of Boatsmurdered tamed them. Or Skeletal Elks, but our brothers from Nist Akath makes it look as easy as clubbing a baby seal. It would be a great honor to stand as a warrior of grand legend as those dwarves. Yet for now, they give me only but Gobbos to slay. Slay I will. But I hear whispers from our Miners. Saying they should make a militia. For what reason!? Did I not tear our enemies to bits and pieces with my axe? "Unlucky" is a grand axe, she has killed many and yearns for more combat! Yet these miners think they can defend our fort? Bah says I, the only dwarves that should be defending us are we warriors and the siege operators... Though I wouldnt mind a little tenderized monster first... traps are fine I suppose... as long as I get the kill!

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

Watson: lots more action recently. every thing's going fine and i feel great. All the fighting seems to be getting to Nosey though. He seems to think he's some sort of god, constantly looking for a fight and he never calms down. I don't know what could be causing this but I'm keeping an eye on him. I'm worried he'll get himself killed or maimed when we face a real threat. I don't know which would be worse. if he's paralysed then no doubt he would go mad and there's a chance he'd take his frustration out on innocents, as much as his injury allowed of course. On the other hand I'm starting to feel it too, i almost want there to be a siege just so i can satisfy my building blood lust.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

8th Sandstone, 1056
Bricktop came to Surath, suggesting a Citizen's Militia, headed by the miners which would act as a final resort against any invaders.  Surath called in Watson, as the head of the military.

"I don't think we need to worry about the military losses, most of the ones that died in the last ambush were the least skilled, and Nosey took care of the goblins surprisingly easily," responded Watson, when he'd heard Bricktop's full proposal.  "However," he added, "I don't see why all civilians shouldn't be trained in some fighting.  If we ever are in dire straights and the pure military isn't enough, we may be glad of the extra fighters.  I'll pull up a roster of all the civilians and assign them training periods without messing with the daily tasks too badly."

Bricktop agreed that this was reasonable, and offered to help with the roster, which Watson accepted.  78 civilian dwarves were, after all, a lot of dwarves for one dwarf to organize.

Watson lingered a few minutes after Bricktop's departure to share his concerns about Nosey.

Surath answered, "But he gets the job done, right?  And so far he seems to be controlling himself well enough, letting off steam only when he's sparring or patrolling.  Besides, having a dwarf of his capabilities is a reassurance to many of the dwarves in the fort.  Several of the civilians have confided that they feel safer, knowing that any threat has to go through Nosey."

"But he seems to be getting more and more unbalanced."

"I take your point, but I'm sure he'll calm down again after a good battle.  When we'll get that battle, however... I'm kind of hoping we won't, but from what I've heard from other forts, the goblins won't give up that easily.  I suppose you could make sure Nosey takes as many patrols as possible, to burn off some of that energy, and I'll have a word with him later, try to calm him down."

Watson nodded.  He hadn't expected that Surath would be able to do much, but she did have a knack for calming down upset dwarves, maybe she'd be able to work her magic touch on Nosey.  But just talking about it had made him feel better, and Nosey was certainly going to be out on patrol a lot more from now on.  He didn't need one of his top fighters taking out the raw civilians as they learned the basics of hand-to-hand combat.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

Thrakor's Log, 8th Sandstone, 1056

Bricktop's been talking about his idea for a militia, with heavy involvement from us miners.  I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to be a part of it.  I've three little ones now, and I can't stand the thought of something happening to them because we have insufficient defense.  I definitly want to help out any way I can.  Some basic training in armor and combat, then put a spear in my hand and I'll take anything thrown at the fortress!

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

26th Sandstone, 1056
Watson came to Surath with an idea.  There was an empty room next to the archery range, hollowed out when the miners had been excavating a gold vein.  With very little effort it could be turned into another training room for the military.

"How so?"  Asked Surath.  "All of the dwarves either shoot down in the archery range, or spar in the barracks.  How is another room going to help?"

"Well, Thrakor originally had the idea, and the more I think about it the better it sounds.  We can build screw pumps in that room, and the off duty dwarves can go down and pump.  It'll raise their strength and toughness, at the very least."

"Dry pumps?"

"Yes."

"And you honsetly think that will help?"

"Well, it can't exactly make things worse."

"Dry pumps," mused Surath.  A moment later she nodded.  "I'll get the mechanics to work on the project.  Armok knows anything that might help us against the goblins is welcome, even if it does consist of dry pumps."

Arnar and the other mechanics were notified of the new project the next morn  Arnar was less than pleased.  "But what about my flying machine?  It's only half done!"  He exclaimed to the nearby Viktoria.

"Somehow I don't think your project is going to suffer much," she replied drily.  "In any case, I have some glass corkscrews to make, so go complain to someone else."

[ February 15, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2008, 09:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nos3y:
<STRONG>Nosey's Journel

<Elegible>

Today, I write this entry with the blood of our natural Enemy. Goblin, ofcourse. Some would assume the Elephant. Our brethren of Boatsmurdered tamed them. Or Skeletal Elks, but our brothers from Nist Akath makes it look as easy as clubbing a baby seal. It would be a great honor to stand as a warrior of grand legend as those dwarves. Yet for now, they give me only but Gobbos to slay. Slay I will. But I hear whispers from our Miners. Saying they should make a militia. For what reason!? Did I not tear our enemies to bits and pieces with my axe? "Unlucky" is a grand axe, she has killed many and yearns for more combat! Yet these miners think they can defend our fort? Bah says I, the only dwarves that should be defending us are we warriors and the siege operators... Though I wouldnt mind a little tenderized monster first... traps are fine I suppose... as long as I get the kill!</STRONG>

You forgot one.
*Armok bends forward and whispers in fear*
Carp!

And if Arnar gets a mood you MUST change it into a aluminum mechanism. (using Dwarf Companion)

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

Oh my, I forgotten all about Carp!
Love the story so far, it's coming around quite well. Nosey is in serious need of a Dragon or large Goblin army, he's not quite insane, just overly enthusiastic about his job >_>
On a side note: About Carps, I just started a fort, all the rivers are filled with Carp and Hippos!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2008, 11:20:00 am »

9th Moonstone, 1056
Viktoria came to Surath, complaining that one of the glassmakers had withdrawn from society and claimed her glass furnace.  "Not only that, but he used it to make a chrysoberyl idol!  Without any glass whatsoever!  He could have claimed the jeweler's shop for that.  Although," she added, "he has become a legendary dwarf, so I suppose I can't really complain."

They were interrupted by the dwarf himself coming to show Surath his idol.  It was a very well-made idol, decorated with towercap, encircled with more chrysoberyl and menacing with spikes of rope reed and galena.  As Surath turned it over in her hands, she noticed several pictures.  One of a toy hammer in chrysoberyl, a rope reed image of a cabinet, an image of a narrow crescent in lead, a coffin in towercap and a hidden moon in guppy bone.

"It's name is Esmulsholkikmoldath!"  Seeing Viktoria's blank look, he translated, "Spinesblankets the Full Devious Avalanche, in the common tongue."

Well, that certainly was a mouthful, but Surath decided not to say a word.  Her expert eye valued the artifact at 88,800*, making it the single most valuable item in the fort.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2008, 11:31:00 am »

23rd Moonstone, 1056
Surath called for a party that day, to celebrate the felling of the first towercap from the tree farm.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2008, 11:32:00 am »

Armok, I was planning on doing that, should Arnar ever get a mood.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

And I completely agree!

"ACK! FLY! SHOO! SHOOO!"

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

1st Granite, 1057
Another year had begun, and Surath took stock, as always.

Created Wealth: 956,920*
Weapons: 8,415*
Armor & Garb: 8,650*
Furniture: 166,255*
Other Objects: 292,557*
Architecture: 116,195*
Displayed: 27,533*
Held/Worn: 337,315*

Imported Wealth: 533,746*
Exported Wealth: 4,059*

The food stocks were holding steady at 1,663, almost a quarter of which was alcohol.

The fort's total population now numbered 112, of which 11 were children and 36 were military.  Watson had said that there had been no official criminals (the dungeon master not counting), which he attributed to Surath's skill in pacifying and consoling upset dwarves.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2008, 05:30:00 pm »

13th Granite, 1057
One of the farmers had started acting very secretive.  She claimed a craftsdwarf's shop and began going all over the fort, collecting various items, including silk cloth and steel.

Several days later she emerged from her self-imposed solitude, with an andesite scepter.  It was encrusted with some cinnamon grossular and encircled with bands of marble, camel leather, and oak.  In addition the farmer had adorned it with rings of turtle shell, and the scepter menaced with spikes of steel and cave spider silk.  She had also added two images.  One made of andesite depicting a blade weed, because she claimed to like blade weed.  The other image, made of goblin bone and showing traveling dwarves, was clearly in memory of her journey to Cursemountains.  The entire thing was valued at 73,200* and had been named Udokil, Willfultests in the common tongue.

Surath thought the name was a perfect reflection of the Queen's whims, but considering the refusal of the farmer to part with such a valuable object, she had to renounce the idea of offering the scepter to the Queen in the hope of placating her for their lack of progress on finding adamantium.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18