Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth  (Read 11292 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Hey all, I've found a site that I'd like to try as a community fortress, and am looking for brave (crazy?) dwarfs to join in the hunt for fame and fortune.  The site has sand/mountain tiles, no trees, no shrubs, no water.  There is also an open-to-the-surface chasm.  Any other features will be revealed as/if they are discovered.  I will be claiming the Leader/Broker for myself, and the first six volunteers/victims to sign up will get a say in what is brought.  Each founding dwarf will get 290 points to spend on equipment and abilities.  I'm not planning on bringing an anvil, as we can trade for one later, but if several people want to pool their points for one, that's fine.
My Dwarf:
Skills:Novice Persuader, Novice Negotiator, Novice Appraiser, Novice Judge of Intent, Competent Consoler, Competent Pacifier
Name: Surath
I will spend the rest of my points once the others have signed up and decided what they want.

[ January 24, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

Talented Shield user, Talented Marksdwarf, Max Ambusher skill possible. Call him Jusk.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Do you want to bring any supplies?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

Spend the rest on whatever.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

Novice Animal Trainer
Novice Animal Caretaker
Competent Marksman
Proficient Stonecrafter
8 dogs
16 turtles
the rest in wood

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

@Krom, what do you want to call your dwarf?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

Hi

I'll join. Watson, proficient spear, novice animal trainer, shield and armour user. I'd like 2 dogs too but don't assign them to me (suicide would be terrible). I'll just train them and their babies. I don't care about any leftover although i wouldn't mind getting my hands on a spear quickly if one comes along.

EDIT: I see Krom beat me to it. Ok. i'll replace animal trainer with novice mason and i'll take a point from armour for novice carpenter. leftover points for what's needed.

[ January 24, 2008: Message edited by: Foamy ]

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

"Krom" is fine!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

One other thing I forgot to mention.  Any backstories that accompany dwarfs are welcome, it'll make the story more interesting (and give me more to work with).  :)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

Name: Korbin
Profession: Stoneworker (put points in masonry, stonecrafting, and let him also engrave and be an architect).
Backstory: Korbin had trained, for a while, with the best of the stonecrafters in the mountainhomes, but now he had little apart from the clothes on his back.
Times were hard, and as a dwarf with a profession that had no work available, this meant he inevitably found shelter in the abominable poorhouses.

And the poorhouses had been getting more crowded lately, thanks to the extreme economic mismanagement that had been occurring.

And so it was that the disheveled Korbin jumped at the opportunity to form a new fortress. A place where he would have a chance to strike it big.
After all, there was little holding him back here, apart from the tales of other failed fortresses, but fear doesn't put food on the table.
It was the food that made his mind up.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

Oh, and leftover points for more booze.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Krom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

Kroma swatted at one of the dogs in the wriggly, nipping pile at her feet. "Ziril! Behave!" She looked back up to greet the dwarf approaching her craft table. Oh, no. Datandur. What an ass.

He picked up one of her olivine turtles, pretending to examine it. "Animals. Always animals. Playing with stones as a child does. You waste your time with this nonsense."

Kroma thrust her chin up at him. "My time is mine to waste. I do with it as I please."

Datandur smiled down at her. "Not for long, my dear." One eyebrow cocked, he reached inside his leather vest, placed a piece of parchment on her table. Kroma glanced down at it, seeing a document with her father's name appearing in several places. "What's this?" she demanded.

"The scrip for all your father's debts. We'll be discussing ways for him to pay this off." He leered broadly at Kroma. "Your name might come up in that discussion....Dear."

Kroma's face went blank as her mind whirled. Surely not.... Oh, but surely so, that devil. Think, think. How to get out of this. To pay the debt? To get away? That's it, get away. She was an outcast here anyhow. No-one loved the dog-girl with the funny trinkets.

And then, the perfect idea struck her. A way of killing both goblins with one spear. The expedition. She would go on the expedition. Get away from Detandur and make her fortune at the same time. She heard it was risky. Too risky.

But looking up at Detandur's face....What did she really have to lose?

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

Name: Bricktop

Gener: Male (preferable but not too important)
Profession: Proficient Miner and some skill in wrestling (proficient if possible, if not then whatever)

Gear: Pick(obviously)

Bricktop is a skilled miner who has always wanted to leave and help build up a massive fortress, gaining fame and wealth etc along the way. He's always stayed loyal to whoever his current master is and is willing to fight to protect things.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 10:09:00 pm »

Thanks Bricktop, we needed a miner, glad you volunteered.  Ok, just need one more and we can get this fortress started.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

Name: Viktoria
Profession: Glassmaker (can also mine if need be, but no points)

Restricted by the harsh controls of the glassmakers union in the mountainhomes, Viktoria seeks the freedom offered by the founding of a new fortress to let her creativity run wild. Creating glass windows, glass goblets, decorating things with glass, this is what she lives for. Due to the glassmakers union rarely allowing her to produce glass wares for fear of "saturating the market", Viktoria was forced to work another trade as a miner, of which the mountainhomes could never get enough.

She will take a pick and some bags for sand collection.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18