Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth  (Read 11462 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Cursemountains, the hunt for wealth
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

15th Granite, 1057
"You're going to be happy today, Surath!" Thrakor came striding into her office.

"You've found adamantine?"

"Adamantine?  No, not really.  Although, considering our resources, this discovery is probably just as priceless," he mused.

"What could possibly be as valuable as adamantine?"

Thrakor just grinned.

"Where's Bricktop?"  If he were there he wouldn't be making her wait like this.

"Bricktop's figuring out how big it is."

"How big what is?"

At that moment Bricktop arrived.  "It's only two levels deep, but there's more than enough for our needs."

"Would one of you kindly tell me just what this discovery is!"  Surath exploded.

Bricktop was taken aback.  "Didn't Thrakor tell you?  I sent him expressly because I knew you'd want to know as soon as possible.  We've found a magma pool."

"Magma?"  She sent a dark look Thrakor's way.  "You couldn't have told me straight out?  Although we do have the towercap farm, this is a wonderful discovery.  I'll order the metal and glass shops moved out there immediately."

"There is one, or rather a few, problems," added Bricktop.  "There are several fire imps, a magma man and a fire man who currently reside in the magma."

"I'll have Watson deal with those.  Meanwhile, what are the chances that there are other pools in the vicinity?"

"Middling to fair, I'd say.  It depends on where we are relative to the volcanically active rock, and how close it is.  But we've mined the western side pretty extensively and have only found one of the pools, so there may not be any others, unless they're very deep."

"Well, keep an eye out.  Even if there's only one pool, it's more than we had available yesterday."

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

Name: Sir Trogdor. (The Sir part is optional.)
Profession: A mason, perhaps? If none are available, make'im a metalsmith.
Backstory:Has done nothing much of note, except get drunk. Reportedly spotted Silverus's ghost yelling "I'M GOING TO HAUNT YOU, YOU BASTARDS!" at some goblin ghosts. Only he can see them, which causes him to doubt his sanity whenever he brings it up to anybody else. Is otherwise perfectly normal.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »

17th Granite, 1057
The Elves had returned, bringing another load of wood.  And although the wood was no longer strictly necessary, Surath bought every single log because you could never have too much of anything.  The only other items the Elves had brought was cloth.  Bolt upon bolt of cloth, stacked high in bins.  Surath ignored it.  It was worthless compared to cave spider silk, and at any rate, they had several pieces of the plant cloth left in the stockpiles, and so didn't need more.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

Protect the peasants! We don't want them to be burninated!

EDIT:

Watson: Surath asked me to deal with these fire creatures in the magma pool. Naturally I will lead the assault and I'm sure Nosey would appreciate some action too. I've never fought something that was on fire before so this should be interesting.

[ February 17, 2008: Message edited by: Foamy ]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 17, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

20th Slate, 1057
"Ah'm no' crazy, ah shwear!  Ah know ah shaw Shilverush's ghosht!"  The outburst drew Surath's attention as she was passing the masonry.  One of the mason engravers was arguing with Korbin, who was clearly nearing the end of his patience.

"You say you saw Silverus's ghost?" She interjected.

"Yesh!  He wash yellin' a' the gobli' ghoshtsh tha' he'd make 'em pay."  The dwarf answered.

"And you are...?"

"Shir Trogdor, a' yer shervishe ma'am!"  Sir Trogdor went to bow, but barely managed to keep himself from hitting the floor.

"Sir..Trogdor?"  Surath had heard of this dwarf.  When he wasn't drinking, he was drinking.  He had to be the drunkest dwarf in the fort, which made it rather unsurprising that he was hallucinating.  Surath shared a speaking look with Korbin, and said to Sir Trogdor, "Very well, let me know if you see anything else...out of the ordinary.  You need not bother the others."  And she continued on her way, mentally planning what stockpiles to put where for the new metalsmithing installation as soon as the military had completed their liberation of the area.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 17, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

1st Felsite, 1057
More migrants have arrived including an axedwarf and a macedwarf, both of which were welcomed with open arms.  A philosopher had accompanied the other migrants, claiming that Cursemountains seemed a much better place for deep thought than the Mountainhomes.  All the dwarves were in agreement that the philosopher was nuts, but then that seemed normal for their ilk.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2008, 08:32:00 pm »

16th Felsite, 1057
As it turned out, the magma-dwellers were not a great threat.  Bricktop's miners took out all the fire imps with very little trouble, and the war dogs got the fire man before the soldiers could interfere.  Kroma's archers killed the magma man easily, since he didn't seem to want to come out of the pool, and the last obstacle to using the magma was gone.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

*Nosey's eye twitches, wanders back to his patrol route*

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2008, 12:18:00 am »

Well, it seems Trogdor's personality is completely at odds with his drunken fool performance. We, (and by we I mean I) volunteer him for some training in the militia on an off day.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »

16th Hematite, 1057
One of the mechanics has gone fey, and refuses to allow any other dwarf near her mechanic's shop.  Hopefully she wouldn't spend too much time on her side project with so many other engineering jobs waiting to be done.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

17th Hematite, 1057
The human wagons had returned, bearing a great deal of wood, as well as iron bars for the smithies.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

26th Hematite, 1057
The fey mechanic had finished her project, a granite mechanism which she had named Curlsweetness the Skulls of Laboring.  A reference to the many skull totems the fort was making, perhaps?  As with the other artifacts, Surath examined this latest one with interest.  It was only worth 14,400*, but what was remarkable about it was its single image.

"Why did you put a rat on this?"  She asked the mechanic.

"I hate them so much I couldn't resist."

"That doesn't make sense."  But the mechanic apparently didn't agree.  Then again, the longer the dwarves were there, the odder they acted, and Surath was beginning to think that nothing should surprise her any longer.  After all, with both water and a source of magma, there was very little lacking anymore to make Cursemountains the greatest of the Mountainhomes' forts.  Except adamantine.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

1st Malachite, 1057
It seemed love was in the air.  Several of the dwarves were involved in new romances, including Nosey, Taalen, and Watson.  Taalen had become involved with a dwarfette in his squad, while Nosey was in love with someone from a different squad.  Watson was involved with an elite wrestler, who was well-liked by nearly everyone.

Surath brought it up in the process of their monthly meeting.  "Won't it cause problems for you and Taalen, to be involved with a subordinate?"

"Why would it cause a problem?"  Watson seemed genuinely puzzled.

"Well, isn't there something written somewhere making romantic involvement between two members of the same chain of command...ill-advised?"

"Oh, that.  I'll be right back."  And Watson ducked next door into his own office to grab some files.  When he returned he was paging through a sheaf of parchment.  "Ah yes, here it is."  He read for a moment, then looked up at Surath.  "There was such an injunction on the books, but it was repealed nearly a hundred years ago, during the Great Wars when nearly all dwarves were military in one way or another.  It hasn't been reinstituted."

Surath nodded.  "Alright then...but out of curiosity, when did you get all those files?"

"Some time ago I sent a message to a friend back in the Mountainhomes via the liaison, asking him to send me copies of all the current laws, punishments, and other information I needed as a keeper of the peace and purveyor of justice.  I got...a little more than I'd expected."

"Ah.  Well, she is attractive, you could have done worse."  Watson's cheeks turned ruddier than usual.  Smiling, Surath asked, "Let's finish up with the rest of this stuff, shall we?"  And the two dwarves went back to work.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »

Watson: I haven't mentioned [unknown name] before but we're getting on very well. I haven't wanted to get my hopes up but i cant help but think of names for children. I always thought that if i had a son i would name him Sherlock in honor of my old friend.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

7th Malachite, 1057
The new magma-fueled metalsmithing operations were fully up and function, and the Dungeon Master immediately claimed the forge to begin smelting more armor, or which there was always a shortage.

OOC: These are the dwarves involved with currently claimed dwarves.  Watson & Tun Castlebury, Nosey & Kubuk Cudgeldance, Taalen & Mosus Diamondrag

[ February 19, 2008: Message edited by: Dame de la Licorne ]

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18