Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: 42.XX Adventure thread  (Read 60013 times)

thehman03

• Bay Watcher
  • Some cats just wanna watch the world lag.
    • View Profile
Re: 42.01 First adventure thread
« Reply #225 on: December 04, 2015, 11:34:37 am »

Only found them randomly in tombs and mead hall junkpiles so far.

Well that's a bit silly, there should probably be an arts vendor for this purpose, yeah? Sells instruments and writing equipment, maybe new songs.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 04, 2015, 11:43:57 am »

I've yet to encounter any blank quires, scrolls, or codices. ;w;

Do any of those 3 work for writing on, or will I have to start with quires?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 04, 2015, 01:08:59 pm »

I've yet to encounter any blank quires, scrolls, or codices. ;w;

Do any of those 3 work for writing on, or will I have to start with quires?
At least in dwarf mode, codices can only be created from written-on quires, so you probably won't find any blank codices. I imagine scrolls will work just fine, though.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2015, 02:27:52 pm »

Hmm. I'll test blank quires and scrolls if I can find one.

What about the raw paper/parchment needed to make it? Tempted to add a reaction to craft them in adventure mode...

EDIT: Next mead hall on our grand tour. The resident lady is a goblin. Seems to be a normal human-resident goblin, otherwise we'd be fighting already. The time has come, minions! Let us dance...The Lark of Flutes!

EDIT 2: Damn, I was hoping everybody would join in. Seems I have a limit of 8 dancers and 3 musicians.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:06:35 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2015, 03:21:21 pm »

I can't dance because of my gimp leg :'(

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 04, 2015, 03:27:05 pm »

They didn't teach you the pogo in dancing school. ;w;

EDIT: Anyway, now I got one more hamlet to tour, then for the finale I'll hit the town.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:28:41 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2015, 03:30:16 pm »

They didn't teach you the pogo in dancing school. ;w;
I's okay, I make up for it by being a singer who will break your legs with his masterwork crutch if you disrespect him. I had to "retire" him after my hand got hurt. By which I mean I kill people with a crutch now instead of a sword.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2015, 03:31:50 pm »

Wait, so basically you mean that recruiting only few people the regular way (join me into adventure) is to be replaced by "dancing" a lot more people into joining ?
wow, maybe they should try that at the military recruitment offices :D

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2015, 03:33:44 pm »

Wait, so basically you mean that recruiting only few people the regular way (join me into adventure) is to be replaced by "dancing" a lot more people into joining ?
wow, maybe they should try that at the military recruitment offices :D

Basically, yeah. I got my usual max of 2 adventurer companions, and currently 15 more soldiers who are following as entertainers.

And...damn. No mead hall in Sparkquills. This sounds bad.

EDIT: There's a kobold crossbowman in the keep. Eeek.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:55:28 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2015, 03:55:19 pm »

Yeah it's a lot easier to recruit people now.

Most of the time I go to random taverns, dance around a bit like Michael Jackson and suddenly everyone wants to join. 'Course, they nearly always end up dead because by "performing" I mean that I want to travel the land and kill various large beasts.
I also have noticed that several dances seem to cause my adventurer to move automatically, usually in some kind of pattern. Thought it was interesting.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2015, 03:58:10 pm »

Oh shit. The kobold was ignoring the caste lord, but went no-quarter the instant I talked to him. Thankfully he does not in fact HAVE a crossbow because I gave kobolds blowguns and slings, not crossbows. :V

EDIT: "Can you manage a troupe so large?" It seems there is a limit.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2015, 04:40:35 pm »

I decided to make some tests regarding the NPC reaction to kills and etc.. to see if npc reaction are as broken bad as in df2014 or if they're finally reacting, i was not hoping as much reaction as in 34.11 though, but let's see.

started a character and found myself spawning in a dwarven fortress, the lag was absurdly high to unplayable level while there was only a few npc only around, i only managed to get out thanks to the fast travel that actually worked this time . Same bug observed in df2014, probably some broken pathfinding spam that cripple performance in the same way mood-dwarf that are on a tree destroy performance in fortress mode.

I went to a dwarven hillock and entered a mound that featured several profession-dwarves and a baroness consort.
I noticed the df2014 usual "is that a weapon" style of random crap but things changed when i slashed a nearby dwarven gelder (never trusted those guys anyways :D )
the baroness consort went directly hostile and attacked me ! wow i was pleasantly surprised to see an actual reaction !
Unfortunately none of the other profession-dwarves present cared and they behaved no different from the broken df2014

Once the whole mound citizens were destroyed (out of the baroness consort, none of the other dwarves even tried to fight back when they were multiple times slashes, similarly to df2014, most of them were not even trying to run away, so sad) i moved to another mound, in this one no profession-dwarves only drunk dwarves.

Instead of slashing randomly, i decided to shout using the brag about violent act option to see if the npc would react to information, after a bunch of df2014-like "it was inevitable" and "it is terrifying" that disapointed me, after half a dozen of brag, 2 drunks rushed to attack me , wow !
Unfortunately i can't say if it's finally an actual npc reaction or if it is just drunk random brawl behaviour, this will need more test.

After getting rid of both, i went to a human town nearby, i got into the town small fort and did the bragging stuff multiple time to the Lady and a nearby bowman , neither cared.
But at least it made sense tough, as they're not the same factions, and who know maybe they were at odds.

Then to test more in that location i moved out of sight in another room of the fort and with my dwarven companion killed a hammerman and a crossbowman, then i went back to the Lady and reported my kill of both her guards, using a brag or two in the middle in case it helped (like it seemed to do for the dwarven drunks).
Neither the Lady or the nearby bowman reacted (ouf ot the "it was inevitable" or "it is terrifying" usual annoying answers) , or panicked or went hostile, basically they behaved exactly like in df2014

I left and went to a bandit camp away that a citizen previously mentionned to me.

None of the bandits attacked and i could walk as if it was normal for me to walk in the middle of their turf , oh well, i slashed a goblin bandit and another goblin ... attacked in retaliation, at first i was happy, this made actual sense, so i was ready-ing my character for the fight of his life, 34.11 bandit-style.
Sadly the many other bandits did nothing out of running around, while we were killing them one by one without the goblin "master" doing anything :(

I went to test the goblin "master" if at least they had some of their former 34.11 glory and killed him with incredible ease for my beginning character, without him even fighting back during the multiple slashing

Conclusion :
- very rare some npc will react, that's new from df2014 in which i never had anyone reacting at all
- the heavy majority of npc will not react to anything, as it is in broken df2014
- bandits are still the df2014 pushovers

I didn't tested in goblin dark pits/fortress to see if it improved in comparison to df2014, very likely my next step.

I hope there will be some rebalance and rework of the npc reaction, probably not to the entertaining but probably extreme level of 34.11 but at least something instead of the overall "it was inevitable" all over again.

EDIT : forgot to mention, on the first test with the mounds that had the reacting baroness consort, after i walked away , my companion of the time started to shoot bolts at me.
While he had no problem killing the profession-dwarves in the mound.
He reacted to my character killing spree, though the reaction happened a bit late.

Seems adventure mode is still a total waste of time playing because toady didn't bother fixing the game breaking lack of combat bug. After an entire year. Amazing when he gets as much money as he does really amazing. I wish i could leave massive errors in stuff i make that render most of the game pointless and still get paid. Time for another looong hiatus of not playing. enjoy the stacks of cash toady :)
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2015, 04:48:59 pm »

*facepalms* Just go be a bard and kill things.

Meanwhile, I think I'm gonna go see about rescuing Or Ironsomethingorother.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2015, 04:52:03 pm »

Fortress mode sieges seems to happen now, as i noticed a few people reporting some sieges, where before in DF2014 it was nearly never happening even on long running fort, or when it was happening it was just a ridiculous small gob team that your -by then- legendary squads had no problem to destroy (as gobs had no real weapon skill, unlike in past version in which they had some though weaponmasters) , looks like that's fixed at least as they even come with beasts too.

For now, i'm just playing fortress mode, as i'm not interested in the dancing/performing new adventure mode features, in the hope adventure mode NPC reactions will get some fix in future releases, as it's always disheartening to see npc being still in majority passive when they have friends/family/anyone and even themselves being killed and never tried to either fight back or run away.

Very rarely i observed some NPC reacting (running away or fighting back), but in 42.01 they're rare, tough it's still better than in df2014 in which i never saw any kind of reaction to anything.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:53:54 pm by Robsoie »

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2015, 04:55:39 pm »

*facepalms* Just go be a bard and kill things.

Meanwhile, I think I'm gonna go see about rescuing Or Ironsomethingorother.

Or i could go play something that isn't horribly broken. What happened to df seriously? It used to be so good. It started with mermaid bone faring and ended with this? Thousands of dollars a month?
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31