Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 137

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.43.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 201835 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.42.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #780 on: April 10, 2016, 03:27:00 pm »

Doing a double post because it is unrelated to my previous post: I just did some testing and should probably divulge it since a quick search of this topic yielded nothing: Dark Fortresses cannot appear without the HFS. Which makes me sad.

This was probably already know, but here it is anyway.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 10, 2016, 03:29:43 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed that. I wish goblins just got goblin masters instead of not appearing.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 10, 2016, 03:31:52 pm »

Is there a way to prevent worldgen slabs to be made from a certain inorganic material? I keep getting stuff like "magic missle slab" and amusing as that may be, it may cause problems like the slab instantly melting when it enters the screen in either mode.

No, there isn't. Like codex bindings, I'm pretty sure they're made of anything that has [HARD_MAT] on it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 10, 2016, 03:38:08 pm »

Is there a way to prevent worldgen slabs to be made from a certain inorganic material? I keep getting stuff like "magic missle slab" and amusing as that may be, it may cause problems like the slab instantly melting when it enters the screen in either mode.

No, there isn't. Like codex bindings, I'm pretty sure they're made of anything that has [HARD_MAT] on it.
Guess that might be the solution, making sure they don't have HARD_MAT.

EDIT: Am having a weird issue: when playing as an adventurer or controlling a creature in the arena, every single interaction, except reanimation, resurrection and material emissions, end up being automatically cast on self. Meanwhile, creatures not directly controlled by me (or the player in general) use them on the proper targets. Any insights on this behaviour?

Also got to say, the whole thing of interactions only being used in combat is starting to be annoying.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:55:52 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grondus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:NERD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:46 pm »

A Chemist is just another type of scholar. You can't actually do any chemistry type stuff yet. Closest we have is probably the process of turning skins into parchment.

There is the itemsyndrome for DFHack, but otherwise, you cannot poison weapons, or create freezing or flaming weapons without harming the wielder.

Hmm. So the acid reaction from the wiki doesn't do anything? That's a little disappointing.
Would it be possible to mod a reaction into a building that turns, for example, a sword made of iron, into a sword made of something with a ridiculously high, or low temperature? Cause if thats possible, then it seems like it would be easy enough to contain it in fort mode, by equipping a dwarf with gloves made out of a set temp metal to make it. (I tried making the swords a while back, straight from the ore and... that was literally the only fort I ever lost to anything but fps death.) Sorry if its kind of a dumb question. Most of my modding knowledge involves creatures and I'm still bad at that too lol.

EDIT: My bad. There is DFHack involved. Its just that there was nothing on the .ini files where you usually set stuff up so I got the wrong impression. My apologies for any trouble my misinformation might've caused.
No harm done at all =P I'm just happy to know what the limits are.

On a semi-sidenote, the whole dipping items in puddles thing is still valid, right? (I think it was dragon blood and some sort of venom that people were testing)
Quoth the raven...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 11, 2016, 12:16:07 am »

I can't find this reaction you are talking about. Could you point me to it?

I don't know if gloves would work, but I suppose it would be worth a try. I have some doubts though.

Grondus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:NERD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 11, 2016, 01:19:44 am »

Well, I suppose I shouldn't call it a reaction, but I was hoping there was one in game.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Topic
Thats the page. If you scroll down to chemistry, there's 3 acids, including aqua regia, which, if memory serves, can be pretty nasty.

Granted there's not a lot there, but realistically, there's still some pretty cool stuff that can be made out of whats on that page, if you know what to do with it. But if its not fully implemented yet, then it'll have to wait for another version.
Quoth the raven...

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 11, 2016, 05:26:23 pm »

So I have a few questions about interactions

1.Is stress working?
2.Does the emotion syndrome actually do anything? its hard to wrap my head around the numbers, how high do I have to set severity for it to have an effect
3.Pain, how much does it take to inconvenience someone with the pain syndrome
4.Is it possible to have a syndrome make people insane/melancholy/berserk/catatonic?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 11, 2016, 05:58:25 pm »

1. yes

2. yes, it does stress stuff correctly, ~10000 would probably be good to have an immediate effect, but happier dwarves tend to have in the range of -40000 stress.

3. depends on some factors AFAIK

4. having a ridiculously powerful stressor would probably do it

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 11, 2016, 09:03:15 pm »

for number 3, whats the ballpark? 100? 1000? 10000? 100000?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 11, 2016, 09:52:52 pm »

Depends on the size of the creature, the individual's toughness, and if the pain is localized or spread across different areas of the body. There may be other factors as well.

That goes for most syndrome effects, really.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 11, 2016, 10:38:17 pm »

If I make a custom food item, produced at a workshop, that has a syndrome attached to it, will a dwarf that eats a prepared meal containing it be affected by the syndrome as well? What about just regular raw food? My plan is to add in production chains to process food and make it more valuable, like bread, artisan cheeses, smoked fish, and the like. These things would have a syndrome attached to them that gives whoever eats them a mild good thought for eating good food or some such thing, like alcohol does but less extreme. I don't want to break the kitchen in the process though, and if the two systems are mutually exclusive I don't really see a system like that working out.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 12, 2016, 09:17:27 am »

I'm pretty sure that reactions that have FOOD items as products are still broken.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 12, 2016, 09:40:31 am »

So I'm working on a pokemon mod and since I can't make most pokemon willingly follow the player, I added the reaction that uses a pokeball to make a magic boulder that gives the player the ability to animate dead pokemon and also turn them into a unmoving creature so they heal(won't work if they already evolved). I tested this in arena mode and there are two probems. A. the magic boulder only rarely gives the ability to catch pokemon, since this is paid for with a pokeball that isn't preserved that's bad.
B. the caught pokemon don't dodge,jump, and other stuff. that's because of the zombie nerf. is there anyway to make them still able to dodge but still be caught by the player?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 12, 2016, 10:02:09 am »

If I make a custom food item, produced at a workshop, that has a syndrome attached to it, will a dwarf that eats a prepared meal containing it be affected by the syndrome as well? What about just regular raw food? My plan is to add in production chains to process food and make it more valuable, like bread, artisan cheeses, smoked fish, and the like. These things would have a syndrome attached to them that gives whoever eats them a mild good thought for eating good food or some such thing, like alcohol does but less extreme. I don't want to break the kitchen in the process though, and if the two systems are mutually exclusive I don't really see a system like that working out.

food items contain references to the original items&materials in them, so any syndrome working from the food would have to be on the ingredient materials as well, unless you use a script to change the materials in the process (with a script you could just trigger the syndrome through the eat job tho, would probably be easier to do).

you cant really break the kitchen, as the reactions are hardcoded. you can add your own reactions to the kitchen, i dont know if making food without scripts is broken as scamtank suggested. you can also remove the hardcoded cooking reactions with script usage.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 137