Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl 0.17 tournament: get on a Bay12 team!  (Read 22014 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl 0.17 tournament: get on a Bay12 team!
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2015, 08:48:49 pm »

Congrats, Zero! Pretty nice DsFi you got there - that puts you first in the Champions, and I'm still 3 points above Aelig :D In the morgue it states you have "magic link", what's that?

Magic Link is part of the mana shield demonspawn mutation set. First you get Spirit Shield (some damage goes to mp instead of hp), then fast mp regen, then "Magic Link" where your HP regeneration goes to your MP instead if your MP is low. It's pretty great overall, especially for a non caster.

Dammit, stop overshadowing MY DsFI :P

The Magic Link mutation route is really good though. My DsFI has it and a bunch of other tank mutations and I'm absurdly robust against almost anything.

I derped and forgot I was going to do the Slime Pits before I tackled Pandemonium. I ended up clearing the Shining One's Fortress. As a Demonspawn. Had to do things slowly and cautiously and had to pop Death's Door once to avoid dying when a pearl dragon and a daeva jumped me when my health was low from killing the resident Seraph. I do have a nice five runes though, and the fire dragon armour I got from the Seraph rounds out my resists a LOT better then my ice dragon armour did.

EDIT:

WOW, the Royal Jelly was harder then the last time I beat it. Not having Finese + Heroism makes a huge difference. Not having resist corrosion because I needed my amulet of resist mutation to stay on REALLY didn't help. I actually had to burn some of my max HP with Borgnjors because a bunch of torments and a pan lord bopped me all at once and my rNeg is PITIFUL[I can't go above one pip without sacrificing other crucial resistances]. At least I have Necromutation now, thanks to a randart ring with wizardry and bonus Int, which ought to help round out those resists somewhat.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:42:42 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2015, 11:03:28 pm »

Dammit, stop overshadowing MY DsFI :P

The Magic Link mutation route is really good though. My DsFI has it and a bunch of other tank mutations and I'm absurdly robust against almost anything.

Haha, good luck with yours! Sadly when I won, someone else already had a 15-rune DsFi win. I came in 2nd. =/

Huh, I just wandered into a labyrinth with lava, basilisks, and a portal to the Abyss - I didn't even know that was a possibility.

There are actually quite a variety of labyrinths out there now. They were partially overhauled a few patches ago, but labyrinths are pretty rare so it's hard to find some of the new varieties.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2015, 08:43:57 am »

Well I got my first sprint win  ::)

Not terribly relevant or useful I know, but nevermind - my actual game kept on crashing on Snake 4, so I just thought I would play a bit more of my Sprint guy for a bit, wasn't expecting to run out of map. Damn I love SpEn...

edit

Some actual progress:

Code: [Select]
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-15-g6d90897 (console) character file.

vogonpoet the Blinker (Spriggan Enchanter)         Turns: 53850, Time: 04:51:18

Health: 100/104    AC:  9    Str:  6    XL:     19   Next: 0%
Magic:  31/42      EV: 35    Int: 22    God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   1918       SH: 11    Dex: 19    Spells: 11 memorised, 10 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +     u - +4 dagger (freeze) (curse)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  +     z - +2 robe {MR+} (curse)
rNeg   . . .     SustAt   +     s - +2 buckler {rF+} (curse)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     Q - +2 hat (curse)
rElec  +         Spirit   .     D - +2 cloak (curse)
rCorr  .         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   +         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
MR     ++++.                    N - amulet of resist mutation (curse)
Stlth  +++++++++.               p - ring of Temperance {SustAt rElec Str+2 Stlth+} (curse)
                                t - ring of poison resistance (curse)

@: repel missiles, very quick, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments,
incredibly stealthy
A: unfitting armour, see invisible, clarity, herbivore 3, speed 3, mutation
resistance 1, slow metabolism 2
a: Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, serpentine

You are on level 5 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Ashenzari.
Ashenzari is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 7 branches of the dungeon, and seen 37 of its levels.
You have also visited: Labyrinth, Ossuary, Bailey, Ice Cave, Volcano and Wizlab.

You have collected 4881 gold pieces.
You have spent 2963 gold pieces at shops.

Code: [Select]
Malign Gateway    |       |       |       |       |       |    26 |       ||    26         <== Love this spell so much.

2 Lair runes collected, time to do some equipment juggling before I head on down to Elf 3 and flash my appendage at the local denizens, hoping to find the Invis spell before I hit up Vaults.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:57:46 am by vogonpoet »
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2015, 11:07:20 am »

Malign gateway is the tentacle thing right? The only time I saw it a lich casted it at me, I just legged it out of it's range.

I still have the vampire high score somehow, I'm surprised it's not played much at all.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2015, 11:22:40 am »

Yeah, its the tentacle thingy. I don't tend to stick around to experience the monster spell version once its been cast, but my previous enchanter victory used it a fair bit in Zot. You need some space to cast it (I guess at least 3 x 3?), you can't control exactly where it will land, and it takes a few turns to arrive, but once it does arrive, its awesome - one cast is enough to take down an OOF from full health. Its attacks are chaos branded, so if you stick close by you can get in petrification and paralysis stabs, but there really is no reason to do so, it demolishes everything by itself.

Its two main disadvantages (lack of location control and warm up timer) are also entirely mitigated by having Control Blink online (in the same spellbook). Wherever it lands, just blink behind it, and enjoy the show.

In fact, I am now at a loss to decide what to spend the rest of my XP on... I guess Fighting/Dodging/Stealth and maybe Armour if I decide to enchant up a hide.

/SpEn of Ash problems

Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2015, 11:50:10 am »

All my casters have met disastrous end so far. I had a good summoner going, but I made a dumb mistake.
My current tengu wanderer is doing well enough thanks to a nice scimitar of flaming death. Unless I find some good rings, he's not going for more than 3 runes though.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2015, 02:50:38 pm »

Found two rings literally on the first turn of the game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll probably get the guy murdered before he grows up leaves first level again.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:00:08 pm by Jiharo »
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

BaronMunchausen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2015, 03:08:58 pm »

Found two rings literally on the first turn of the game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll probably get the guy murdered before he grows up leaves first level again.
I managed to lose a Vampire Summoner who found a +6 ring of protection and a cloak on turn 1. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

Dipped my toe into a Ziggurat and had to drink all my Heal potions on a holy floor, but I walked out with an awesome +5 eudemon blade dropped by a daeva! Made it +9 and retired the Sword of Zonguldrok; hunger and surprise hostile zombies were getting old. Also branded a demon blade and got vampiric! And I had a demon blade of pain already. Between those three I should be able to deal with any kind of monster other than OOFs. Other than that, loot continues to be miserable; iirc Slime and Vaults only had one randart ring between them, and it was trash. Depths, Snake, Shoals had nothing. If Crypt 3 or Zot doesn't have some nice loot I may have to call it quits at 5 runes.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2015, 03:58:18 pm »

ugh, i had a very promising HEAs that found a book of tempests early. should have been able to cruise along but i got lazy and ran out of mana while being chased by a frog.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2015, 05:11:05 pm »

Jesus, my desire to win a spellcaster is only matched by my utter incapability to get a naga past mid-game. What is wrong with me  >:(
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2015, 05:50:39 pm »

Heh, so I just stumbled over a faded altar. Is there any point to using them? Is it just for a challenge/hope-you-get-lucky type thing, or do you gain increased piety, or what? Converting to a random god really doesn't seem all that useful.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »

Not sure either, I used one for fun and it just gave me kikku, I don't remember any piety boost.

4 rune victory on a TeWn. By the end I had pretty much all the bad mutations in the game heh.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2015, 07:14:09 pm »

Alright, so I did win, although with only 11 runes. I BARELY[I was literally at 1 health when I stumbled out of their silence and used Borgnjor's Revivivfication and a want of teleport] managed to escape from them. I can't take them in a straight melee fight[High EV plus bullshit heals] with only a +4 weapon, my ranged combat is useless without Portal Projectile[Which can't be recast because Silence] and I can't use magic or scrolls at all in silence. Plus Necromutation can't be refreshed in Silence, so there goes any hope of Torment resistance[Because I STILL have zero rNeg without giving up unacceptable amounts of other resists] So I decided not to waste my chance at a win and just went back up, Orb in tow.

Honestly, my equipment that whole game SUCKED. I got basically NO enchant scrolls and very few good randarts so my resists AND AC were patchy. And I didn't get any Demonspawn Mutations that helped with the resistance end of things, although I was pretty satisfied with them in general.

Welp, I am now utterly sick of Necromancy, Demonspawn, Qazlal and melee combat. Time to play some casters, I guess.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2015, 08:23:51 pm »

Well, that was very nearly a telling tale of hubris - after getting the Dragon King armor I mentioned earlier, I proceeded to completely blow through Lair, Spider, Swamp, Orc, and Elf. Went down to the bottom of the Vault like I owned the place... and promptly got myself nearly killed on at least three occasions, getting locked out of the upstairs, then randomly teleporting away - the highlight being when I was dueling with an ancient lich, while being constricted by a summoned horrible thing and being hit by a summoned reaper, my life in critical status, chugging cure potions because I literally had nothing else that could save me.

Managed to win by retaliate head butts when I was on my last potion.

I think I'll level up in the dungeon a while more before going back.

(By the way, all you 15 rune-win players make me sick, just sick.  :P)

Edit: Bah, and after all that I managed to die anyway. My stocks of all kinds of escape and/or buff items were used up by the Vaults, and I ran into the Enchantress (and her entire posse) wielding a +6 weapon, and I just couldn't get away.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:14:09 pm by AlStar »

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2015, 10:09:49 pm »

There's a good week or so left, so can you sign me up? I don't know how the teams work, so any will do.

Ethan741/Haxprocess - Intermediate.

I mean, I've seen a rune. But I've never y'know... Held one in my hands.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15