Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2015  (Read 14102 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2015
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2015, 12:47:22 am »

10,084 words, 15 minutes before midnight.

I think I still have energy to get started on tomorrow's work, too.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2015, 01:00:37 am »

I got ~1200 yesterday and ~1400 today. I'm hoping it becomes easier as I go.
1550 today. It is getting easier  :). Just reached a plot point I thought I would finish today, but that's ok.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2015, 01:51:18 am »

I seem to have hit one of the nagging questions that halts all productive writing at 3092 words.

My damn tank needs an actual vehicle name and I have no clue what it should be. The concept of the vehicle has three separate AI's working things, with the tank being called Arkhos (after Greek for ruler) after the primary AI system. It's made actually writing anything a terrible mess because there's a need to distinguish between something that the AI is doing and the collective actions of the vehicle.

I'll have to muddle over a model name and then catch up on the writing later.

You can always name it AWESOMETANK73 and keep writing, and later go back and find+replace that with the awesome name that will surely come to you in the shower a month from now.

I know how you feel - I always get stuck on names. I always end up trying to think of names for my characters and staring at the screen for ages. I usually have the perfect name for them, but I also know someone else in real life who has that name, and maybe the character has something in common with the real person, and I don't want them to read it and think it's them and... In the end, I wind up just making a list of names that I don't know anyone called that so they're "safe".

Obviously, naming a tank will be rather different. Maybe you can just make a slight but clear difference between the AI and the tank itself, like adding a "the" when talking about the tank and not capitalizing it, but capitalizing it without "the" when referring to the AI (like a proper name)?

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2015, 02:07:27 am »

I reached my word goal. Is it just me or is this seeming to get harder as time goes on?

I'm going to be on the IRC for a while BTW, the channel is #bay12nano on irc.freenode.net in case you missed it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:22:48 am by Gamedragon »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2015, 02:45:14 pm »

Just got home from a very long day and finally sitting down to start writing. It's quarter to nine in the evening and I have no idea what I'm going to write today. Gonna hang out in the IRC for a while and see if anyone else is around and stumped... Gonna be a long night.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2015, 02:53:33 pm »

I'm on now if you want to talk.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2015, 03:11:46 pm »

I'm on now if you want to talk.

You are? I may have done this wrong. I do now know how to IRC very well.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2015, 03:18:39 pm »

I think I may have stuffed something up. I should get on soon.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2015, 04:37:44 pm »

We... are using the freenode #bay12nano channel, right? For the less IRC-savvy, like myself, the webchat version is easiest.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2015, 05:04:24 pm »

Ahhh, webchat is preferable, thanks. I've finally managed 881 words. I'm up to par thanks to some productive days before now, but I'd like to make the minimum daily count... On the other hand, it's already 11 at night and I have to wake up very early for work... Hrrrrmmmmmmmm

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2015, 07:27:50 pm »

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to successfully complete NaNoWriMo until I get into a different line of work. This entire first week has been nothing but 13-hour shifts with no computer access, leaving me little time to write, and last night a power outage wiped out what little progress I made.

Save your work, folks. Even if you only have a few hundred words, save your goddamn work. I'm not sure if I can summon up the will to start over.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2015, 11:24:30 pm »

Save your work, folks. Even if you only have a few hundred words, save your goddamn work. I'm not sure if I can summon up the will to start over.
Yeah, I save compulsively to dropbox whenever I switch back from a different window. Old habit from programming.

Have you thought about at least making an outline of the shopping points for what you've already written? Could just continue it on from where you were and flesh it out as you remember more, then come back to write those parts when you feel like it'll be easier than working on new stuff. Remember that you don't have to write a book all in one string, I often take what should be a chapter and make very brief, short-story level blurbs that cover everything essential, only coming back as I figure out a character or other events a little better from some other implications. Worst case, you finish a few days late, but you'll still have a friggin novel!

(7376, yesterday was 7176, will hit par before I get to bed or just not get to bed until I do)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2015, 09:23:47 am »

I'm all set up at my local tea room, away from distractions, ready to make up for not having written yesterday. On IRC for now if anyone feels like chatting, maybe word sprinting or something.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2015, 05:06:31 pm »

I'm going to be on the IRC pretty much all of today, so if anyone wants to talk you can come and chat with me.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2015, 06:37:59 pm »

Alright, I am 5000 words behind my word count, I've christened my vehicle the Axiom type supertank, and don't have a clue what the third item in this list should be.

If I could keep up my writeordie pace of 26 words per minute, it'd barely be three hours of good writing, I'm sure it'll take all night, though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12