Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2015  (Read 14079 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: NaNoWriMo 2015
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2015, 01:57:06 pm »

It is day three and I already hate what I'm writing and want to go to bed instead of finishing for the day. This is going to be a very long month.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2015, 02:13:50 pm »

'subversive'?
Not in the destructive sense. More Catcher in the Rye
Then write.  We need more people willing to say things that aren't quoting Oprah.

This. Do your own thing and have fun with it.

It is day three and I already hate what I'm writing and want to go to bed instead of finishing for the day. This is going to be a very long month.

I spent all of yesterday staring at a screen drooling on myself. Ended up changing a big chunk of my B-plot to drag some lazy characters into the spotlight, which seemed to do the trick. When all else fails, smack the plot with a crowbar 'til it behaves, in my opinion.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2015, 02:27:19 pm »

I agree with Darkmere, just whack it until it works. Or you could do what I did and murder your original characters so that you can bring in new characters who you actually like writing.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »

Someday I should try writing fantasy or sci-fi or something. My story is first-person, with one main character so far and another about to be introduced. It's mostly introspective, thought processes... Not a situation where I can dispose of characters. And the subject matter is so serious and heavy and I'm so worried about doing it wrong or making it racist or something by accident. Don't suppose any of you have been homeless and know how I can write about it and not screw it up?

1291 words so far... Just gotta fill in the rest with some nonsense... The problem with writing a story based on a random dream is that dreams are chaotic and disorganized and it's day three and I still haven't gotten to the thing I want to write. Ever get stuck leading up to things and realize you can't figure out how to connect the introduction with the story you actually want to tell? And also you're posting it all online every day so you can't just throw out the beginning or start over because too many people have already read it and are waiting to see what happens next?

Also I just tried to make myself a cup of cocoa to chill out and feel happier and I found a ton of weird beetle bug things and larvae swimming in it.

Okay, enough bitching, gonna go write at least 400 more words now. I write for a living, damn it, this should be easy! Amazing how 2000 words of nonfiction is nothing while 2000 words of fiction is like pulling your own teeth without anesthetic and realizing halfway through the third or fourth tooth that you aren't even sure they need to come out at all and you can't remember why you started pulling them out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2015, 02:49:25 pm »

My plan is basically to go far-out full ham so I can write to relax between exams, which is so far pretty good. I have a better idea of where I'm going than I ever have before, my characters have motivation, and I actually have multi-dimensional characters.

To give an idea of what I mean by 'far-out full ham', my working title is Awakened: a Novel of Time and Space, one of the viewpoint characters is immortal (from an old-age standpoint), the antagonist is likely to involve an undead plague, and if I don't work a reference to Chaos Portals and the Galactic Nexus in there somewhere I will be sad.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2015, 03:08:02 pm »

Anyone want to go to the IRC for a while? I promise to yell encouragement at you if you yell at me.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2015, 03:14:11 pm »

I DID IT. Three days down, twenty-seven to go...

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2015, 03:18:14 pm »

Go Sappho! You can do this!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2015, 03:31:23 pm »

Early on and I'm already sputtering out at 2,500 words. I've got exams next week so there will probably not be much writing getting done until those are done. I like the concept, but if I want to actually reach 50,000 words it's looking like I'll have to into December.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2015, 04:03:21 pm »

Someday I should try writing fantasy or sci-fi or something. My story is first-person, with one main character so far and another about to be introduced. It's mostly introspective, thought processes... Not a situation where I can dispose of characters. And the subject matter is so serious and heavy and I'm so worried about doing it wrong or making it racist or something by accident. Don't suppose any of you have been homeless and know how I can write about it and not screw it up.
Not homeless, but close to it, and plenty of financial trouble past and present. Have you ever felt like if you screwed something up, you might die? Imagine that, but every single day rain or shine with no clear way out and simultaneously almost everyone hates/fears you as if you were an animal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzTHUzRI5ag
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2015, 04:14:04 pm »

Someday I should try writing fantasy or sci-fi or something. My story is first-person, with one main character so far and another about to be introduced. It's mostly introspective, thought processes... Not a situation where I can dispose of characters. And the subject matter is so serious and heavy and I'm so worried about doing it wrong or making it racist or something by accident. Don't suppose any of you have been homeless and know how I can write about it and not screw it up.
Not homeless, but close to it, and plenty of financial trouble past and present. Have you ever felt like if you screwed something up, you might die? Imagine that, but every single day rain or shine with no clear way out and simultaneously almost everyone hates/fears you as if you were an animal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzTHUzRI5ag

Thanks. And yeah, I've been close to homeless, too, for political/legal reasons rather than financial ones (although political/legal reasons have a tendency to rapidly transform into financial ones as well), so I have some idea. I've done plenty of research, especially on specifically being homeless in Prague (which is different from other areas in some ways). I actually found a company that does "homeless tours" of Prague - homeless people work there and give tours of the city through their eyes, show what it takes to survive, share their stories, etc. I'm going to try to get on one of those soon, maybe this weekend, if I can. Anyway, there's a lot of homeless people I pass every day but can't talk to because of the language barrier, and that combined with a dream is a lot of what made me choose this topic. I'm pretty sure I'm going to screw it up anyway, but I have to make an attempt in order to screw it up, and then hopefully I can fix it later.

If you feel like reading my updates as I post them and offering any feedback you feel inspired to give, you're welcome to. I'm posting them every day on my blog (link in sig).

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2015, 07:16:03 pm »

I spent all of yesterday staring at a screen drooling on myself. Ended up changing a big chunk of my B-plot to drag some lazy characters into the spotlight, which seemed to do the trick. When all else fails, smack the plot with a crowbar 'til it behaves, in my opinion.
It is my opinion that that's what you're supposed to do to your characters to move the plot.
I'm currently at 1017 words, soon to be more.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2015, 11:02:39 pm »

I seem to have hit one of the nagging questions that halts all productive writing at 3092 words.

My damn tank needs an actual vehicle name and I have no clue what it should be. The concept of the vehicle has three separate AI's working things, with the tank being called Arkhos (after Greek for ruler) after the primary AI system. It's made actually writing anything a terrible mess because there's a need to distinguish between something that the AI is doing and the collective actions of the vehicle.

I'll have to muddle over a model name and then catch up on the writing later.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2015, 11:46:35 pm »

Could you try something else Greek? Eg: Prometheus, Daedalus or Icarus.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2015, 12:10:32 am »

three separate AI's working things,
Cerberus 1, 2, 3?

Not much writing today due to unforeseen distractions, 5509
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12