Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 117396 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Joaquin: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2015, 10:45:52 pm »

River appears to have crested at 11.71' and has been dropping slowly over the last hour. Rain is just spotty showers. The big question is what the rain will be like tomorrow and how much it can drain today.
You may:

1. attempt to ford the river drown
2. caulk a wagon and float across drown
3. take a ferry lose all your money to pay for the ferry, run low on food, and starve to death when you can't buy any; also, see #5
4. wait for conditions to improve starve when conditions don't improve; also, see #5
5. die of dysentery [no change needed here]

FTFY
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2015, 11:06:57 pm »

People buy food?  That is money that could be spent on bullets.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2015, 01:03:08 am »

People buy food?  That is money that could be spent on bullets.
Its how the joker lives his life.

He understands that his plot armor will prevent him from starving to death.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2015, 08:00:14 pm »

River back down below 4' now. Life returning to normal, though my sympathies go out to our cousins in South Carolina. Especially the Charleston area, which got 12-18" of rain and is seeing historic flooding (and for a city which often attracts hurricanes like Atlantic City attracts elderly people with their life savings to blow, that's saying something.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2015, 08:05:26 pm »

River back down below 4' now. Life returning to normal, though my sympathies go out to our cousins in South Carolina. Especially the Charleston area, which got 12-18" of rain and is seeing historic flooding (and for a city which often attracts hurricanes like Atlantic City attracts elderly people with their life savings to blow, that's saying something.)
Owww.
Yeah.
Same from me.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2015, 09:49:33 pm »

Luckily, the friends I have in Charleston didn't get much flooding. It seemed pretty localized.

Just like last year here in San Francisco. Some parts of daly city were under 6 feet of water while other parts were fine.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2015, 12:10:15 am »

Well, San Fran is very hilly so that makes sense. Charleston is considerably less so.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:30 am »

Did your house flood, RedKing, or did you luck out?
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2015, 08:45:03 am »

Lucked out. Apparently flood stage for us is considerably higher than I estimated. The river did swallow about 10 feet of the riverbank before receding, and the creek flooded into the yard on two occasions but still about 20 feet away from the house. It's a good feeling, but we also lucked out that Joaquin didn't come. Friday night was the only really heavy rain. If it had kept up like that for another day or two, the outcome could have been different.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2015, 06:05:31 pm »

In short: *exhales*.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2015, 06:33:13 pm »

Exactly.

Since the storm is gone, and I didn't have to make a Swimming skill check, I'll close the thread now.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2017, 10:13:48 pm »

Dredging this sucker up from two years ago, to house discussion of hurricanes for the 2017 hurricane season.

First major storm of the year is upon us: Hurricane Harvey, which looks poised to drop 1.5 to 3 feet of rain on southeast Texas in the next several days. Landfall projected near Corpus Christi, but the storm is slow-moving and expected to be Category 3 by landfall. Could be as late as Wednesday of next week before it finally turns up the Mississippi River valley and dissipates.

Worth noting that New Orleans, which has already had flooding problems this year from just plain thunderstorms, could get 6 inches of rain.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2017, 10:29:30 pm »

Oh here's the hurricane thread. I tried to appropriate the generic weather thread for the hurricane, heh.

edit: I see you saw my post.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2017, 08:11:31 am »

New satellite photo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pretty impressive. I've seen bigger, but this one is solidly formed. Can't really see an eye in this shot, but some of the shots form the ISS seem to show a well-defined eye.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76