Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 76

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116844 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2017, 08:27:37 am »

Uh...

Well then, surf's up?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2017, 02:34:44 pm »

Yeeaaah, more recent outlook seems to be suggesting a rainfall peaking in the upper 40s range, like, barely below 50 outright.

If the numbers are on point and it ends up like that, harvey'll end up topping tex's record (~48). Which was the second heaviest rainfall the US in its entirety has seen since the stuff was getting recorded.

... half makes me wonder if the grocery store chain'll be changing its name in the near future. Maybe if they end up wanting to start putting down stores further west than they have so far...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:37:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2017, 02:39:37 pm »

This is what we get for kicking Steve Harvey off Family Feud. This is his Curse upon the Earth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2017, 02:51:46 pm »

Naaah, that guy's curse would be different. Swarm of geriatric Humping Lepers (which are like normal lepers, except much friskier in ways no one is really comfortable with) descending on the country as per a plague of locusts, biblical style. Something like that.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2017, 03:17:01 pm »

Alternately, this is the giant hurricane that only exists in Jimmy Stewart's mind.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2017, 03:27:09 pm »

Shit, does that mean I'm secretly Jimmy Stewart?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2017, 03:41:20 pm »

Somehow I have my doubts that the current administration will handle this confidently, I hope that everyone on the East Coast at least tries to remain safe though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2017, 04:05:19 pm »

Somehow I have my doubts that the current administration will handle this confidently, I hope that everyone on the East Coast at least tries to remain safe though.

You mean Gulf coast as it's just Texas and Louisiana being affected.

They at least seem to be trying to take it seriously and avoid the mistakes made with Katrina, however, the real concern is likely in places which don't have people appointed to them and just have temporary/acting people.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2017, 04:06:21 pm »

They at least seem to be trying to take it seriously and avoid the mistakes made with Katrina, however, the real concern is likely in places which don't have people appointed to them and just have temporary/acting people.
The latter is still basically everyone, isn't it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2017, 04:08:46 pm »

Most of the east coast'll be fiiiiine. As things get when a hurricane comes visiting, anyway. Most of the time cat 1s and 2s (which is what harvey is predicted to be when/if it starts hitting other parts of the coast, iirc) don't do too much outside the flood zones and the parts of the local coastline directly hit.

... just maybe not texas's east coast, specifically. They're probably kinda' boned.

Though eh, smj, that's a maybe. There's at least one series of possible events (gets loose from the highs it's currently loitering between, goes atmosonic as hurricanes occasionally do) that ends up with it still cat 1 and hitting kentucky. Regardless, most of the general area's going to be seeing rain, possible flooding, etc. Hurricanes generally aren't the most considerate of things like state borders.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2017, 04:12:43 pm »

The latter is still basically everyone, isn't it?

He does have the FEMA chief (got confirmed in like, June), but yeah, theres still a huge amount of both positions that don't require Senate confirmation and those that do which don't have appointed people in them.

Most of the east coast'll be fiiiiine. As things get when a hurricane comes visiting, anyway. Most of the time cat 1s and 2s (which is what harvey is predicted to be when/if it starts hitting other parts of the coast, iirc) don't do too much outside the flood zones and the parts of the local coastline directly hit.

... just maybe not texas's east coast, specifically. They're probably kinda' boned.

Though eh, smj, that's a maybe. There's at least one series of possible events (gets loose from the highs it's currently loitering between, goes atmosonic as hurricanes occasionally do) that ends up with it still cat 1 and hitting kentucky. Regardless, most of the general area's going to be seeing rain, possible flooding, etc. Hurricanes generally aren't the most considerate of things like state borders.

Atmosonic?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2017, 04:23:11 pm »

Hedgehog, but for meteorological phenomena. Goes real fast alluva' sudden, inasmuch as sudden is applicable to stuff on the scale of a hurricane.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2017, 04:38:44 pm »

State borders got way more people killed than hurricanes will probably ever do.
Not sure if considerate is the right word. Did you mean consolidated?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2017, 05:47:20 pm »

I... have no idea how consolidated would even be used in that manner, tbh.

Not the most considerate of state borders was understated euphemism for "The storm does not give a single fuck where your map lines are, it's coming for your ass."

E: Speaking of which, apparently it's going through another spike phase, and looking like it may actually hit cat 4 before landfall. We may be having a town or two flat wiped from the map in the next few days :-\

E2: And by before I mean the NHC just pinned the cat 4 badge on it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:03:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2017, 06:04:25 pm »

Yeah, I was looking at the NHC site about windspeeds and thresholds for the categories and saw it poke into the threshold for Cat 4.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 76