Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the system for the game receive an overhal?

Yes.
- 4 (66.7%)
No.
- 1 (16.7%)
Yes, but. . . (comment how, below)
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 31, 2016, 04:23:26 pm

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 204

Author Topic: Castle: Fear for your Weakness OOC  (Read 164104 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: Fear for your Weakness OOC
« Reply #2460 on: October 15, 2016, 01:58:57 pm »

Next logical question is why not use cloned human souls? I mean, besides various ethical and moral issues that Akras seems to ignore anyway.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 15, 2016, 02:01:15 pm »

It's far easier to deal with nonsapients than it is to deal with sapients.

A sapient could resist with a reasonable chance at escaping for about ten seconds before it gets shot. A nonsapient is far easier to manage. Akras Has used cloned humans before though. Hell. Half the interns and the majority of killsquads are clones.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 15, 2016, 02:01:31 pm »

It wouldn't actually have a quality vessel and would prevent a quality soul from forming.

That and a brain needs an external basis to hallucinate anything quality in the first place. Can't hallucinate that you don't have hands if you never had hands in the first place after all.
Uh...No...It doesn't really?  The core bits of the brain are hardcoded...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: October 15, 2016, 02:02:52 pm »

The answer I'm seeing is moral and PR reasons. Which may be overcome soon enough anyway. I'm looking into kill boxes of ants which might end up providing a better mass/soul ratio.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: October 15, 2016, 02:06:29 pm »

It wouldn't actually have a quality vessel and would prevent a quality soul from forming.

That and a brain needs an external basis to hallucinate anything quality in the first place. Can't hallucinate that you don't have hands if you never had hands in the first place after all.
Uh...No...It doesn't really?  The core bits of the brain are hardcoded...
Actually yes. The brain needs the external stimuli in the first place to develop those bits. This is something that has been proven scientifically.

However in this case. It's the vessel itself that matters. Not the brain. If the vessel is low quality, the soul can't get any further than low quality.

The answer I'm seeing is moral and PR reasons. Which may be overcome soon enough anyway. I'm looking into kill boxes of ants which might end up providing a better mass/soul ratio.
It's more of a "How much of a pain is it to do x?" thing.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 15, 2016, 02:41:53 pm »

Non-queen ants are basically extensions of the queen, so that probably wouldn't be worth much.
Power is how much control you have over your current situation.

Kuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 15, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »

What if you hook the brain up to a vr machine and have it experience a life through that? Would it still be low quality because it's a low quality vessel?
Vhan just became best Kobold Waifu.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: October 15, 2016, 03:01:02 pm »

Non-queen ants are basically extensions of the queen, so that probably wouldn't be worth much.

I'm given to understand that isn't the case and that the queen better represents the womb of an ant hill rather than the brain/womb. I don't have any resources off hand to support such claims and only remember that there were people, more educated on the topic than I, discussing it on a social media thing. I'll see what I can dig up though.

What if you hook the brain up to a vr machine and have it experience a life through that? Would it still be low quality because it's a low quality vessel?

I can confirm the latter question as a yes, but the effects of the previous are a bit less known to me.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 15, 2016, 03:01:23 pm »

Hooking brain into VR actually sounds promising. It worked for Sundowner and Desperado in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Well it would have if they hadn't been stopped.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: October 15, 2016, 03:04:48 pm »

Hooking a brain into VR would Sorta work but it would run into the same problems that cyborgs have. Namely a lack of Life and a lack of Quality Vessel as far as the soul is concerned. You'd certainly get Quality of Mind, Quantity of Mind, Quality of Memory, Quantity of Memory, and so on. But you'd have no Quality Vessel, Life, or Energy. Overall a VRed brain would be more effective than just a brain in a jar tripping balls but it would be worse than a monkey in a cage. And a monkey in a cage would be worse than a monkey in a zoo enclosure.

Kuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 15, 2016, 03:07:35 pm »

Would it be too much trouble to try VRed monkeys? Then it would have a quality mind and vessel and would be better than the monkey in the Zoo since you could give it better experiences.
Vhan just became best Kobold Waifu.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 15, 2016, 03:08:43 pm »

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 04:17:03 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 15, 2016, 03:09:01 pm »

Things I've learned about Ants.

Depending on the species, Queens can live for up to 30 years. Non-fertile females live for 1 to 3 years. The castes we generally associate with ants are actually age based with the riskier jobs going to the older ants as they are likely to die soon anyway.

Would it be too much trouble to try VRed monkeys? Then it would have a quality mind and vessel and would be better than the monkey in the Zoo since you could give it better experiences.

+1 to Sciencing this.

KaineFisher

• Bay Watcher
  • For fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 15, 2016, 03:09:55 pm »

VR training on brains could work for making cyborg soldiers, which was Desperado's plan.

Here's the idea: https://youtu.be/r0NczjdvBso?t=8m41s

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: October 15, 2016, 03:10:22 pm »

You could try VRed monkeys. A VRed monkey would Not have a Quality Vessel unless it actually has a body. IE: You'd get more out of plugging a whole monkey into a VR than you would from plugging a brain in.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 204