Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159599 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1928 Production
« Reply #1950 on: August 10, 2015, 06:27:55 am »

The grenade fits into a launch tube,
To me it sounds like it goes in whole.
Also, lel, using Powder Toy to do science. Shaped charges work differently than whan you made...
Read up before you do science.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: August 10, 2015, 06:29:17 am »

I suggested getting a mortar crew on it after we developed it but I guess it wouldn't have helped because it wasn't mentioned.

Not a bad idea. We cant try it for production. Worse case, it does nothing, best case, it frighten them into wasting time develloping Navy countermeasure.

Production: Dispatch a few AS-CV22 boat with mortar and radio crews to perform shore-bombing in the jungle.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: August 10, 2015, 06:39:20 am »

Also, lel, using Powder Toy to do science. Shaped charges work differently than whan you made...
Read up before you do science.
I read up on that hours before I thought of using Powder Toy. I guess I didn't understand, so what exactly did I do wrong? What's so bad about using Powder Toy for science?

Not a bad idea. We cant try it for production. Worse case, it does nothing, best case, it frighten them into wasting time develloping Navy countermeasure.
If they develop a navy countermeasure, we could lose the ships that are currently transporting Oil/Ore from the Plains.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:43:44 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: August 10, 2015, 06:47:37 am »

by the way, for future reference: Sensei said that trying to revise the mortar into an RPG likely wouldn't have worked.

If we want new weapons, we have to design them. revisions are for imrpovements.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: August 10, 2015, 06:50:17 am »

it is rather small. 60meter long ship is a very light cargo ship. I assume it is like 200-250tons displacement.
It gives us our +1 logistics and it gives us naval experience to proceed but it is ill suited for any combat role.

Sadly we never used this experience to built more ships. I know that there are many important projects but gaining the edge here can open another front for Mokburgs to counter.

We got really sexy engines to try motor boats.

Rough draft
Spoiler: AS-MB1927 (click to show/hide)

More or less single front, squeeze them from the jungles weapon.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:52:07 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 10, 2015, 06:55:42 am »

Come to think of it, why are we using metal for our ships? Why not save a bunch of Ore and use wood? The artillery would obviously be made out of Ore but everything else can be done in the style of the previous two centuries. It wouldn't really hold up in a fight against another ship but as a platform for bombardment, it serves its purpose well.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1956 on: August 10, 2015, 06:56:12 am »

You didin't pay any attention then, you seem to have forgot Munroe effect. I am going to prove that by using Powder Toy too, even if I don't consider it a proper emulation of physics, even if "close enough" and pretty funny.
Look how deep it went... in one go. And it didin't even really heat it up (contrary to the name, HEAT doesn't pierce things by heat), it just broke it.
EDIT: Eh, I seem to have used regular metal (presumably steel) instead of iron. Doesn't look like it could have a big impact on the outcome.
EDIT2: Actually, it does. For some reason Iron leaks pressure (so does breakable metal, wut) in Powder Toy, reducing effectiveness of actual shaped charges.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:02:37 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: August 10, 2015, 07:10:41 am »

You didin't pay any attention then, you seem to have forgot Munroe effect.
Less like "forgot" and more like "misunderstood". I thought the hollow space was just to let the explosion pass through and that by putting the explosion right up to the metal, the explosion's force would be increased. Google Images has proven more useful in my understanding of the ME than Youtube.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: August 10, 2015, 07:20:26 am »

Anyway, we shouldnt discuss design in private. I think wasting time on further improving our body armor is not a good idea. Id much rather have a bomber, a shore attack craft, rocket artillery or any other number of things.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: August 10, 2015, 07:28:14 am »

Body armour is a good idea, but there are better ideas like the bomber or rocket artillery like you said.

While I may have shown interest in the idea of naval vessels with my little tangent on wooden ships, I still think it's a waste of time and resources developing a god damn boat, at least when it comes to Jungle use.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 10, 2015, 07:40:14 am »

What if we made a variant of the CV-22 designed for landing, to land behind their lines in the jungle? That could help a lot.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: August 10, 2015, 07:50:05 am »

The CV-22 makes a lot of smoke/steam. The enemy has planes, ground scouts, and radios. Any beachhead assault using the CV-22 will be met with force.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:53:16 am by Andres »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 10, 2015, 08:29:42 am »

I doubt they could concentrate enough troops. They'd be moving across jungle while we move on a boat.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 10, 2015, 09:17:13 am »

I think our engines are among or main advantages and we should focus on making new vehicles.

Possible applications:

1) 6 ore, 4 oil tank heavy tank.
+ Can be a game changer in desert
- marginally useful in jungles, useless in mountains
- if it will come complex, it will be a useless national effort
- if we lose one point of resources it will be useless national effort

2) 2-4 engined high attitude carpet bomber
+ should be immune to current enemy airforce and AA machineguns
+ if we will reach their capital, we may do some damage there
- Carpet bombing is not that accurate
- May hurt our international prestige
- Will be very expensive

3) Nimble air superiority fighter
+ should win us skies

4) cheap floatplane bomber.
+ will grant us ability to use airforce in jungles without building airfields there
+ can be adapted to be used with CV-22
- Isn't good countering land based airforce on other fronts

5) Motor boat
+ Useful in jungles
+ One more step toward a proper navy.
+ We will have something to protect our cargoships in case if enemy will design a commerce raider
- Useless on other fronts

7) Katyusha-like artillery
+ negates their artillery advantage somewhat

8) Autogyro
+step toward helicopters
- Little use short term

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 10, 2015, 09:23:36 am »

Allow me to introduce a few other projects.

9) Armored personnel carrier
+Useful both in Jungle and desert
+allows fast troop movements in protected environments
- Will be vulnerable at closer ranges and to most Moskurgian weaponry

10) Mobile Artillery

+ Usefull both in Jungle and desert
+ Allows faster artillery movement
- Not all that gamechanging
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 217