Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159085 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1923 Design
« Reply #1170 on: August 02, 2015, 07:39:37 am »

I've been thinking about it and we shouldn't design a sniper rifle this year. We'll need to design a cheap assault rifle and the Revision phase must be saved for fixing our plane's manoeuvrability problems and - more importantly - giving it aluminium armour.

Moskurg will inevitably upgrade their plane with aluminium. This will make it more manoeuvrable and increase its damage resistance. If they use their Expense credit on it then, our own planes stand no chance. Revising our plane will keep them equal in manoeuvrability to them and the armour will increase the odds that they can use their autocannon before the enemy can use their Stallions. We cannot let the bombers start targetting our own trains. Cheap armoured cars are on the horizon and they'll let us...wait for it.....blitzkrieg all the way to Moskurg!
Getting our planes some aluminium armour will let them ignore the armoured cars protecting the enemy trains too.

Cheap assault rifles would be useful in both the Jungle and the Mountains, but so would the LMG. What makes cheap assault rifles needed is that if Moskurg instead uses their Expense credit on their SMG, we'll automatically lose the war in the Jungle. They've held on there because of their ability in CQC, despite their best CQC weapon being a pistol. After seeing how making our SMG cheap allowed us to take territory in the Jungle last time, I'd say it's likely that they'll use their credit on the SMG. Getting assaults rifles should also help prevent our men from getting pinned by Brumbies.

I've changed the design of the assault rifle somewhat.
Design the AS-AR23.
Spoiler: AS-AR23 (click to show/hide)

Revise our plane to be more manoeuvrable and make it fully out of aluminium. (I'm going to bed so let this be my vote in the Revision phase.)

Glory to Arstozka.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:56:05 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 02, 2015, 07:47:25 am »

I'm quite certain we're at the end of what is possible with revisions for that plane. There are structural flaws which we can not resolve, and we will need to develop a new plane.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 02, 2015, 07:49:18 am »

Also, I joked when I said design AK47 :D, also where are votes for a fighter, I expected this one to be a leader

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:53:03 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 02, 2015, 07:52:13 am »

I'm quite certain we're at the end of what is possible with revisions for that plane. There are structural flaws which we can not resolve, and we will need to develop a new plane.
We got a 1 on the last revision for manoeuvrability. It's not a base structural flaw. At worst, we still get an opportunity to make it out of aluminium.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Also, I joked when I said design AK47 :D
It doesn't matter. An assault rifle is absolutely necessary if we want to keep Moskurg from capturing the entire Jungle. It'll also piss off the Moskurgs to no end if we develop awesome anti-infantry to match our autocannon's awesome anti-tank. ;D
Besides, the GM might be nice and launch us 20+ years into the future like he accidentally did for Moskurg.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:59:32 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 02, 2015, 08:16:41 am »

We should remember though, next turn their spy has free reign, so we're likely to receive a walloping.

And honestly, I have no idea how to deal with their new armoring scheme for their Smasher tank. By all that is logical, that armoring should be completely ineffective against our autocannons. I mean, they even admitted it themselves :

That said, is spaced armor basically a skirt?  That should work pretty well against single fire, but they're using autocannons.  Mind you, stopping three, four shells at once would be nice, and not really unreasonable.

Spaced armor works as long as the armor plate is intact. Against an autocannon, that is 2 seconds.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 02, 2015, 09:16:00 am »

Spoiler: Proposals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current problems (click to show/hide)

I'm seriously considering to just abandon the mountains, and go for a killing push in the desert.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 02, 2015, 09:20:47 am »

Then we lose ore and they gain ore. Not a minor problem
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 02, 2015, 09:22:18 am »

Then we lose ore and they gain ore. Not a minor problem
It takes them 1 turn to actually consolidate their gains.

In addition, since the mine in the mountain is close to our side of the map, we should be able to keep it under fire from the mountains.

But yeah, we shouldn't go all out.

If you excuse me, I need to be a bit silly. See, both problematic areas share 1 trait. They both have rails.

Spoiler: AS-1923-AST-AL (click to show/hide)

That should be enough to defend the mines from both aerial and ground assault, and can also be utilized to support a push in the desert.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:32:41 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 02, 2015, 09:32:08 am »

I am torn between machinegun for universal impact and trying to survive the storm of enemy having air superiority and  challenging the skies.

In fact I am afraid that mountains are lost in both cases with enemy suddenly getting a portable weapon from 1960s (minus shaped charges),  in this case fighter is a better choice because it gives a chance to keep fighting without ore.

Taking desert gives us very little, because then we will still need to conquer 4/4 of their capital region to win the war... not an easy task to do with them having resources.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 02, 2015, 09:33:11 am »

I though the desert was their capital region?

Anyway, I have an easy solution to deal with the enemy air superiority. We simply equip our trucks with autocannon emplacements.

After all, the enemy was able to negate our air advantage solely by researching pintle mounts for their weaponry. An actual anti-air unit should prevent any further attacks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:35:42 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 02, 2015, 09:34:10 am »

No, Sensei changed that creating East Desert, West Desert and Central Desert.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 02, 2015, 09:39:57 am »

Anyway, I just noticed something.

The enemy developed Pintle mountains, and suddenly their trains carry machine gun cars.

By similar logic, I think we should develop mounts to deploy our artillery/autocannons. Clearly, and similairly, that should result in them being deployed on trains, trucks and ships.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 02, 2015, 09:52:02 am »

Thought I suggested that last turn...

Ahwell. For design, I think it may be time to get a new fighter. Or that 20mm sniper rifle.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 02, 2015, 10:11:57 am »

20 mm rifle had sense mostly as a way to get expense credit to take it from silverplate offer to Moskurg

You know guys, screw it! We got 4 ore. Time to take some risks and use it.

Spoiler: AS-DB-HF-23 (click to show/hide)

And I vote for it
If enemy can get a recoilless rifle, lets get our own dive bomber.

As for revision, either

improve air defence by  building observation posts, installing searchlights, and adding AA-mounts to trucks\trains. (we have pintle mounts on motorbikes\ship, no need to revise

or improving the dive bomber-fighter
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:49:51 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 02, 2015, 10:28:17 am »

Divebomber vote.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 217