Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159389 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1921 Design
« Reply #915 on: July 31, 2015, 04:12:27 am »

Now, an interesting consideration.

Quote from: T1 Smasher
It is armored all around with light armor, of mild steel,
This means it's armor is officially thin. I'm not sure if our Mosin can take that out, but our autocannon should rip them to shreds.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 31, 2015, 04:12:42 am »

AS-T421 Medium Tank
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inspiration T-34 medium tank

Though obviously our design will be much less effective.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 31, 2015, 04:24:40 am »

1) Thin, <10 mm (all measures approximate and used for historical reference)
Keep in mind that 0 armor is still armor and can stop stuff like 9mm pistol rounds.
We could potentially revise our uniform to have ultra-thin, 0 armour and basically make them immune to SMG fire, plus we could use the opportunity to better the camo (giving us an opportunity to get rid of our helmet flags). The downside is we get no LMG.

AS-T421 Medium Tank
A mild tank costs 4 Ore already. Getting that much aluminium will drive the price up to 5 Ore, maybe 6 Ore. (We'll get 3 Ore next turn, meaning it'll be Very Expensive or a National Effort if it's complex). Developing RHA with current thickness is a more effective way of increasing our armour.
The other problem is that it's a tank and tanks aren't good in jungles.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 31, 2015, 04:28:29 am »

Oh, I thought we still had access to 4 ore.

I guess it's too ambitious a design.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 31, 2015, 04:28:42 am »

Now, an interesting consideration.

Quote from: T1 Smasher
It is armored all around with light armor, of mild steel,
This means it's armor is officially thin. I'm not sure if our Mosin can take that out, but our autocannon should rip them to shreds.
That would accurately describe previous engagements between Smashers and AC18's, more or less.

1) Thin, <10 mm (all measures approximate and used for historical reference)
Keep in mind that 0 armor is still armor and can stop stuff like 9mm pistol rounds.
We could potentially revise our uniform to have ultra-thin, 0 armour and basically make them immune to SMG fire

Infantry armor does not use the vehicle armor system. It's far more nuanced and the the demands for light weight and articulation are too great. Keep in mind further that someone wearing a metal vest and helmet which are immune to bullets still has a lot of exposed flesh.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:14 am »

I see a problem with that tank.

The Moksburgian tank costs 4 ore, 2 oil. Yours is heavier, and uses aluminum. So, that's 6 ore, at least. We have 3 ore next turn. So, the tank is very expensive due to Ore requirement alone. Add any complexity for any part of the design (Inventing Diesel engines, medium armor, heavy armor) or any increase in oil consumption and we can't deploy it.

I have a few proposals. But first, some guesswork.

Hence, my design proposals :

Spoiler: AS-MV21-AL (click to show/hide)

This makes our armored car better armored than their tank, and most importantly, lighter than their armored car at the same time.  Cost is likely to be 5 Ore, due to the +2 from aluminum, but this should merely render it expensive.

Spoiler: AS-AB1E-1921 (click to show/hide)

Chances are that it's going to be very expensive, using both more oil and more ore than we have.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:42:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 31, 2015, 04:51:21 am »

The other problem is that its my understanding that Aluminum armor is not all that great.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 31, 2015, 04:54:16 am »

This isn't quite right. The Smasher is Light with Mild Steel, giving it the protection of 1 Armour. By your logic, we should've had reports of AP getting through the tank's armour at least occasionally. Instead, the only report of small guns killing those tanks is when our SMG guy sprayed into the inside of one through the hatch. Their Struunk is Thin armour with mild steel, giving it 0 Armour. Our 7.62mm very occasionally managed to slip through and our AP rounds only upgraded that to occasionally going through rather than very occasionally.

Of course, this could just be an oversight of the GM for all I know.

Spoiler: AS-MV21-AL (click to show/hide)
First of all, I must say I like the naming scheme and I'm flattered you used my design. It being light would certainly help, but it would make it Expensive for using too much Ore, just like with Moskurg's. If we could make a simple armoured car, we'd outnumber the enemy since we have the resources to build them. After making it simple, we could try researching RHA to make all of our armour better, including our body armour and tank. Our Mountain bunkers might also be able to resist bomber attacks better.

Spoiler: AS-AB1E-1921 (click to show/hide)

Chances are that it's going to be very expensive, using both more oil and more ore than we have.

You forgot to include a defensive machine gun or autocannon of some sort. That would've been disastrous.

I'm going to continue to support my own design for the armoured car, but with a little change.
Design the AS-MV21. It should be cheap and if there's time left over (and it's around as good as the Struunk), it should use RHA armour.
Spoiler: AS-MV21 (click to show/hide)

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:15:51 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 31, 2015, 05:04:07 am »

You forgot to include a defensive machine gun or autocannon of some sort. That would've been disastrous.
Not really.

They have a biplane. Ours is a monoplane aluminum design. They simply can't catch it.

Making the Armored Car use RHA is not a good idea, I think. It will probably upgrade the cost by 1, which is enough to push it over the edge. We either should go full aluminum or use mild steel and absorb the casualties.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 31, 2015, 05:06:07 am »

we really need better armored cars, agreed. and improving armour tech is an overall benefit.

I vote for the AS-MV21

not sure about designing a bomber later... the reason we seem to hold the skies is that we can afford an awful lot of planes. Perhaps we should keep that strategy with cheaper( in terms of oil) planes, and use strafing to supplement our troops. But this is a discussion better held next turn.

RHA should not increase ore cost. the change is in how the metal is processed, not in how much metal it requires. Thickness is the same, weight is the same, effectiveness goes up.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 31, 2015, 05:17:44 am »

Spoiler: List of observations (click to show/hide)

RHA should not increase ore cost. the change is in how the metal is processed, not in how much metal it requires. Thickness is the same, weight is the same, effectiveness goes up.
Pretty sure processing cost is included in ore cost. If not, it's still probably that the new tech will be complex on it's own merit.

Spoiler: Armor Assumptions (click to show/hide)

This observation leads me to believe, that the Light aluminum armor should be near invulnerable to everything but their artillery.  Sure, it'll be expensive, but that's no real problem for vehicles. Especially since they have to split their drivers over 3 different designs. Note also, that our autocannon has less ammo than their machine guns. If we make armor equal, then it becomes a game of who shoots first, which they will win. If we make it better, then we get an advantage.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:51:30 am by 10ebbor10 »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 31, 2015, 06:02:22 am »

This observation leads me to believe, that the Light aluminum armor should be near invulnerable to everything but their artillery.  Sure, it'll be expensive, but that's no real problem for vehicles. Especially since they have to split their drivers over 3 different designs. Note also, that our autocannon has less ammo than their machine guns. If we make armor equal, then it becomes a game of who shoots first, which they will win. If we make it better, then we get an advantage.
Excellent job on the research and I agree with the assumptions. There are a few problems, though no with anything you said, save you saying we should use aluminium.

If we had a 12.7mm MG, we could pierce the enemy's armour with AP easily and actually have a slightly faster reaction time due to the lower weight of ammo. Unfortunately, we have no such thing.

Giving it aluminium wouldn't help unless we gavee it Light Armour. By your own assumptions, a .60 cal would pierce Thin armour of RHA quality at short range. Considering it's the jungle, the fights will mostly be short range. More armour and the use of aluminium would drive the cost to 5 Ore, 6 Ore if we make it entirely aluminium as you suggested. If the car is at all complex (unlikely, since it was only complex for Moskurg due to designing Petrol Engine), it'll be Very Expensive or a National Effort.

There is hope, however. 0 Armour can be reliably penetrated by AP rounds. Our 1910s carry AP rounds. With the gun in the turret and the gun in the passenger seat, we could unload a storm of AP rounds into our enemies with a quicker reaction time. With allowing the turret to be equipped with an autocannon instead, we can have some of the cars be used as medium/long-range support which occasionally happens in the Jungle. It'll be especially useful in the Desert due to the longer ranges and little to no cover. Finally, if we actually manage to develop RHA they won't be able to damage them with anything save that Stallion. They'll have a 0 effective weapon (Brumby) and a 1 effective weapon (Stallion) against us while we have two 0.8 or 0.6 effective weapons against them (1910), totalling their 1 vs our 1.2/1.6. Our weapons are better than the Stallion for anti-infantry too. We win.

While writing this post, I realised that their car was Expensive due to complexity. The managed this despite not having Petrol Engine or Crude Battery technology at the time. I reckon we can be a bit ambitious and have our turret be electric, increasing our reaction time further.

Design the AS-MV21. First priority is getting it equal to the Struunk in terms of armour and vehicle performance. Second priority is making it cheap. Third priority is RHA. Fourth priority is electric turret.

Glory to Arstotzka.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 31, 2015, 06:08:39 am »

More armour and the use of aluminium would drive the cost to 5 Ore, 6 Ore if we make it entirely aluminium as you suggested.

Their armored vehicle only cost 3 ore, armoring is identical.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 31, 2015, 06:27:06 am »

They will likely use their expense credit either on bombers or on tanks. I don't know about you, but I want to counter this not focus on retaking jungles, We don't want to see them pushing in Taiga.

My vote goes here:
AS-UG21-40
Design a high velocity 40mm universal gun that can be used both for firing flak shells at their aircrafts, AP shells at their tanks  and light HE shells at their infantry. Its carriage should be optimized to be towed by motorbike through rough terrain for strategical mobility and be light enough allowing crew to push for some tactical mobility

This is too be followed by motorbike revision this turn making it sturdier and more-all terrain-capable and rearming it with 20mm gun to give a chance against tanks.

This way we get a weapon again current and perspective tanks, a gun to arm our next tank with, secure our heartland against bombers and hopefully push in desert using more mobile motorbikes and our new light guns. If motorbikes will be all terrain enough to use in mountains, than it may break the stalemate here. Who knows, maybe new motorbikes will allow us to push back in jungles?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:03:55 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 31, 2015, 06:28:10 am »

More armour and the use of aluminium would drive the cost to 5 Ore, 6 Ore if we make it entirely aluminium as you suggested.

Their armored vehicle only cost 3 ore, armoring is identical.
Their 3 Ore cost is due to Thin mild steel armouring. Making it Light like our tank would increase the Ore cost by 1. Armouring it in aluminium increases its cost by another 1.

Oh yeah, we're talking about armoured cars and I'm proud of my design. *clears throat* Blitzkrieg all the way to Moskurg!

Tell the diplomat that we regret the machine guns we designed are being used for piracy in the Arabian sea. Offer to share with them the design for free and point out its weaknesses so they can more effectively combat the pirates. State our wish to join the League of Nations and our desire to interact with the international community more often.

Glory to Arstotzka.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 217