Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159377 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1918 Design
« Reply #480 on: July 28, 2015, 05:44:45 am »

I think we should go for the German design. It would let us get both an AT gun or autocannon to stop their Struunk and SPAT and some kind of logistic enhancement tech to get the extra ressources.

We gave sold the Central Power a MG, so we have some political capital to spend calming the Germans.

Anyway, the plains have a bay no? If we build a boat it could both help with logistic AND carry troops and raid their backyard. Some kinf of armed merchantmen shouldn't be too hard to design and they'd have no counter.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 28, 2015, 06:00:24 am »

We can also design a truck... and revise an armored variant of it for an armored car. Getting both logistics and armored vehicle.

But I prefer to secure our front with an anti-tank weapon be sniper-AT rifle or AT gun and we have no good weapons for our armored car....

How about this long term plan

turn 1) 35mm AT gun\revise internal combustion engine into train. (more engine experience)
If revised train is not enough\fails\we are forced to revise 35 mm gun   then
turn 2) truck\35mm gun armored car based on the truck\fix the truck
turn 3) design 35mm gun tank \improve some small arm\fix the tank
else go for
turn 2) design tank \improve some small arm

Of course such plans work only if enemy will not force us to react on something and if we will not have to fix faulty designs 

Plan above uses experience from the last round rather well: both knowledge of doing AP shells and petrol engine will play a role
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 28, 2015, 06:12:34 am »

seems a solid plan and I am ready to get behind it, although there is another thing I wanted to consider.

Their tanks are lightly armored and they have no hope improving them ( heavy tanks like our cost 4 ore and for them it means national project level(their design is expensive due to coplexity). completely unfeasible.). all we need to really pierce them reliably is an armor piercing machinegun.
maybe fixing the motorcycle would be enough to counter them? they are much more mobile ( compare speeds: 80 km/h offroad to their 24), so circling should be easy. That said, it doesn't work as well as a big gun for defensive warfare.
what do you think about that? maybe we should design things keeping in mind that they can't afford to heavily armor their stuff.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 28, 2015, 06:13:47 am »

I am also afraid of their radio design. They're ineffective now, but if they refine it it would give them a real edge. Plus, their two spies gives them a huge, huge advantage...

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 28, 2015, 06:14:13 am »

I think we should go for the German design. It would let us get both an AT gun or autocannon to stop their Struunk and SPAT and some kind of logistic enhancement tech to get the extra ressources.
Okay, who's good at propaganda?

We gave sold the Central Power a MG, so we have some political capital to spend calming the Germans.
Anyway, it's not like they'll be around much longer.

Anyway, the plains have a bay no? If we build a boat it could both help with logistic AND carry troops and raid their backyard. Some kinf of armed merchantmen shouldn't be too hard to design and they'd have no counter.
I'm not sure if there's a bay. If we go for a boat, I'd be tempted to go for a shallow bed design of some sort, to allow it to operate in the Jungle swamps as well.

that sniper rifle is actually nice. While plains are our primary ojective, advancing in mountains should be our second. denying them that second ore they get would be crippling.
I'd argue against the plains being our primary objective. Capturing them gains us nothing, while taking the mountains under fire gains us much.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 28, 2015, 06:21:19 am »

IMO, Circling motorbikes in plains = please kill us with a machinegun or HE shell. Zero armor is zero armor and is not WoT.

Also, I think our tank costs 4 ore because coal is ore and similar oil powered tank would cost 3 ore. Pretty manageable for them to field enough tanks to bring problems to us.

Anyway I vote for AS-AT18-35 35mm Anti-tank\light field gun.

Should it be light enough it will be useful on all fronts and it is a step toward a proper tank.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 28, 2015, 07:14:22 am »

Hm. I still believe an heavy tank should be 4 ore, but I am not that sure anymore.

In this case, I approve your AS-AT18-35 Anti tank gun.

as for propaganda, I'll try writing something. Pity I am not at home, I have a few WWI newspapers there which I could use as inspiration.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 28, 2015, 07:18:34 am »

Summary post. Please update if you vote/propose something.

Anyway, given the enemies dramatic spying advantage, we shouldn't be trying to do anything to innovative. Merely upgrading our current designs and developing systems we lack but they already have. Or design systems that are useless to them and they simply can't afford.

Spoiler: AS-RH18-320 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Proposals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sekrit (click to show/hide)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 28, 2015, 07:25:03 am »

Okay, who's good at propaganda?

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 28, 2015, 07:30:45 am »

Damn you ebbor... I wanted railway gun since the beginning... And it is great because it is useless for them to steal... thinking.

One reason I am not sure about railway - it is vulnerable from air attacks , should they design something that can drop bombs it will be used on this expensive machinery

Of course our main problem is that as long as they have additional spy, they will steal one our design every second turn + revision phase and it is same or even better than ours...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 28, 2015, 07:44:08 am »

That's my vote.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 28, 2015, 07:51:11 am »

Spoiler: Proposals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 28, 2015, 07:53:44 am »

How is the 20mm autocannon man-portable?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 28, 2015, 07:54:23 am »

It's 1918 and the only thing Forenia has given to Axis is a machine gun design. They've lost.

I know this sounds a bit trite and I know it sounds like I have an obsession with small arms, but I think we should design a semi-automatic battle rifle. All we have to do is upsize our carbine. Our carbine is currently unreliable because it uses the full, rifle-size 7.76mm instead of a carbine version.
If we design this gun, it'll obsolete our Nosin due to having equal range, accuracy, stopping power, armour-penetration, and reliability while having a greater rate of fire and a larger magazine size. It'll give us ground in both the Mountains (I'll explain in a spoiler why this is important) and the Jungle. Most importantly, the rate of fire, range, accuracy, and power combined with our AP rounds should easily be able to destroy the Struunks in the desert. A squad with these rifles would have equal performance with a machine gun except they'll be mobile.
Design the AS-SAR17. If this does not get voted, I vote for the autocannon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I do understand, however, if people don't want to go with my design.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:55:59 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 28, 2015, 07:59:40 am »

I vote for the SAR
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 217