Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 158939 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1916 Design
« Reply #285 on: July 26, 2015, 04:40:41 pm »

I dont think we should be choosing sides in the war yet.
We'll get Nazis if we support the Allies. Besides, Moskurg is probably gonna submit their own design to Antegra and then we'll definitely join the Allies' side.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 26, 2015, 05:29:54 pm »

Do we really need the SMG so soon after developing our carbine? We could just revise the carbine to be less fiddly and easier to clean and that should help a bunch.

And then use our design phase to develop a really big gun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 26, 2015, 05:49:43 pm »

We'll get mad bank from Europe if we develop an SMG. It might also be enough to negate Moskurg's advantage in close quarters. For the former reason alone, I think we should spend our Revision phase improving our SMG if it's needed.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:50 pm »

Wouldn't the carbine be in revise? Also who is up for a two man crew bomber? It can drop bombs on our enemies!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 26, 2015, 11:35:42 pm »

Cast a vote to designing an SMG if there aren't enough votes for an LMG.
Spoiler: AS-MC16 (click to show/hide)
-1 to complicating design action with  second design. Hollow points bullets should be designed later
In general, actually adding features seems not to detoriate a design. If the rolls are bad, they simply not happen and we switch to the existing rounds.
This usually the case for non-integral stuff. Worst case scenario, I'll tell you that it just can't be done in one turn, or require a lucky roll that doesn't really penalize.

So, here comes your first attempt at a submachine gun. You've made big belt machine guns, and you've made a semi-automatic pistol before, and unlike the AS-F14, this uses the small 9mm cartridge. A lot of the difficulty is making weapons like the AS-F14 comes with containing the powerful 7.62 cartridge. Speaking of which, I should probably specify that to be the 7.62x54mmR, so you can invent the 7.62x39 later. Or the 7.62x99 or something.

AS-MC16: This is a sub-machine gun, firing the 9mm pistol round. It uses a new, closed-bolt blowback system perfected from the AS-F14. This system is reliable and keeps dirt out of the gun. The bolt system takes up about fifteen centimeters, all of which is past the trigger, then a magazine, a 30 round drum, inserts into the receiver from the left. The barrel after the receiver is short, about twenty centimeters, and has a slotted metal hand guard. The stock is wooden and stops at the receiver, where brass is ejected from the bottom of the gun. The short barrel gives poor accuracy, especially when hot, and the 9mm bullets have much less range than a rifle or machine gun. The system fires about 400 rounds per minute. Its complexity makes it Expensive.

Well, you've made a sub-machine gun. The dice were with you. Time to revise.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1916 Revision
« Reply #290 on: July 26, 2015, 11:42:35 pm »

So, work on the carbine, which is probably unnecessary now, or work on the fieldgun to make that better against the enemy thanks that will be showing soon.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 26, 2015, 11:55:38 pm »

The carbine still has some use in the Mountains where its reliability is better and its fire rate+longer range makes it useful. Elsewhere, the SMG would outclass it. The problem is that the SMG is Expensive, so our close-range assaults may still use the carbine more than the SMG.

We are very close to dominating close-range encounters. We'd also be making the first reliable and mass-produced SMG two years earlier than RL, so it would bring us a lot of money from Europe. The only thing we need to do is decrease the complexity so that all our soldiers could potentially field it. Anything they're making this turn will be designed to get rid of our tank. If it works, we still have our mortar and artillery to hold the line while we work on this.

Decrease complexity of the MC16.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: The SMG should more than pick up the slack for what we'll lose when our tanks are destroyed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:08:52 am by Andres »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 27, 2015, 01:35:05 am »

Revise the artillery, implementing a hydropneumatic suspension, and a carriage which allows some traverse.

This should allow us to perform a rolling barrage, and let our troops actually get in range to use that SMG.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:41:30 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 27, 2015, 01:38:50 am »

That's one vote for attempting to cheapen the MC16 early, and one for improved artillery.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 27, 2015, 01:50:04 am »

On a side note, if we go with the M16, we should also develop the hollow point ammunition, to increase it's firepower a bit.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 27, 2015, 01:52:05 am »

Arty upgrade for me
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 27, 2015, 02:21:47 am »

Arty upgrade for me

The carriage has a pretty good traverse, but you rearrange it to go between 0 and 90 degrees, just in case. The new hydropneumatic suspension is reliable, cheap, and allows the weapon to fire fired as quickly as possible without moving off target.

-AS-1912 Artillery: A field gun firing 80mm shells, loaded through a sliding bolt. The action is not dissimilar to a bolt action rifle, where the old casing is ejected when the bolt is opened. It is large enough (and its ammunition large enough) to be Expensive, and is drawn by horse on two big wheels. It can fire about 12 times a minute, and has a hydro-pneumatic suspension system: it doesn't go off target between shots, and the barrel moves into the frame every time it is fired. Aims between 0 and 90 degrees vertical. It has several kilometers of range.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 27, 2015, 02:23:55 am »

Revise the artillery, implementing a hydropneumatic suspension, and a carriage which allows some traverse.

This should allow us to perform a rolling barrage, and let our troops actually get in range to use that SMG.
If we make the SMG simple, we'd be able to arm every soldier and more importantly sell it to Europe. If we don't do it this turn, Germany will release their own SMG at the same time and we'd lose all economic power related to it. With the extra funding, we could have another research facility and get 2 designs each year. That's worth a lot more than hydropneumatic suspension.

EDIT: Didn't see the above post and god damn it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:26:47 am by Andres »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1916 Production
« Reply #298 on: July 27, 2015, 02:29:30 am »

Hang on, we agreed to sell the gun? I know I voted not to, and I thought I saw only two people voting for it, with two others against it... Ill go back and check, but I dont think we approved it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1916 Production
« Reply #299 on: July 27, 2015, 02:35:10 am »

Well, a grand total of three people voted, or even talked about trading. Two for, one against.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 217