Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159028 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1916 Design
« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2015, 05:51:59 am »

We kind of need to have portable machine guns if we're going to make decent gains or make SMGs before the Europeans can. We could probably just downsize our current artillery in Revision to make something that can kill armoured cars.

I wouldn't say we should worry much about dealing with enemy tanks because remember, they'll have to go through our own tanks too. It's true that they won't last long against anything they throw out, but a sacrificial lion will give us enough time to develop a proper counter-measure next year, assuming a down-sized artillery piece isn't enough.

If they don't make their own tank and instead make tank-killing weapons, our glorious and most-useful Light Mortar would be able to take care of those emplacements. Either that or our readily-available artillery.

Another option is to simply revise the T-15 to decrease the complexity of the tracks. This'll let us field much more of them and counter whatever new tanks they bring out, assuming they develop one.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2015, 05:54:50 am »

I find it insane that either our tank is not long enough to cross trenches, or that we never designed it for that.
You realize your vehicle is the AS-T15, and not the Struunk?

In any case, yes, your tank crosses trenches, if I implied otherwise.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2015, 05:58:31 am »

I think you said otherwise...

Hang on, let me check again...

Nope, yer right. Sorry.

In any event, what do all of you think of the following for our flag?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you guys think you can do better, well, the site I used was Here, and Im sure there are others.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2015, 06:01:05 am »

Someone should draw a flag
On it. Gonna use paint since I can draw custom stuff. It's gonna be sick.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2015, 06:26:25 am »

We kind of need to have portable machine guns if we're going to make decent gains or make SMGs before the Europeans can. We could probably just downsize our current artillery in Revision to make something that can kill armoured cars.

I don't think we need to downsize it even. It's an 80 mm gun with a decent firerate. Update the accuracy and you get an excellent tank gun.

On a side note, we could also try to keep them on the edge by developping a new threat which they have to counter.

Spoiler: AP-1916 CAS (click to show/hide)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2015, 06:33:13 am »

I think that our small arms are adequate for the current war situation. What we need is to stall enemy advantage in jungles or push further in the plains or both

I can't see much help from LMG in either of this roles. Our army is saturated with current machineguns and have an adequate small arms firepower.

What should we do stop them in jungles? I got an idea

I vote for
designing a landmine. Anti-personnel but strong enough to damage Struunk

Good luck assaulting our jungle positions when everything is mined to hell. Will secure our positions in plains, too.

Edit: later...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:55:58 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 26, 2015, 06:42:28 am »

I don't think we need to downsize it even. It's an 80 mm gun with a decent firerate. Update the accuracy and you get an excellent tank gun.
Sure, updating the accuracy and making it direct fire would make an excellent anti-tank gun, but not an excellent anti-car gun. Cars move too quickly for our artillery to get a good shot off. More importantly, the place where they're most dangerous is the Jungle where we simply can't field the artillery due to its size. A smaller version will allow us to mount them on defensive walls both in the Jungle and in the Mountains and let us field them in general more often.

Spoiler: AP-1916 CAS (click to show/hide)
No. No way. There are many, many problems with this. First of all, we have absolutely zero experience with flight. None at all. We've developed no engine small enough or efficient enough for this, otherwise we would've put it in the tank. Our current machine guns are too heavy, we don't have any technology that allows them to be remotely fired, and the guns will have nothing to shoot at. Similarly, targeting anything with rockets - much less improvised rockets - is a bad idea with such early plane technology. Finally, Moskurg infantry bear some powerful rifles which would easily damage and destroy the aircraft.

I vote for
designing a landmine. Anti-personnel but strong enough to damage Struunk
Good luck assaulting our jungle positions when everything is mined to hell. Will secure our positions in plains, too.

A landmine will be useful once we actually capture the Jungle or the Plains. If we deploy them before, we put heavy risk on hurting our own troops.

I think that our small arms are adequate for the current war situation. What we need is to stall enemy advantage in jungles or push further in the plains or both

I can't see much help from LMG in either of this roles. Our army is saturated with current machineguns and have an adequate small arms firepower.
The Moskurgians have proven multiple times that having a portable machine gun is a very advantageous thing to have. I will restate again that having a portable machine gun is very close to an SMG, a thing that if we develop we will be able to sell to the Europeans for a good price.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT:
Usefulness of a semi-automatic battle rifle:
Quote from: Wikipedia: M1 Garand
Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton
Usefulness of an SMG (the first practical one came out in 1918):
Quote from: Wikipedia: MP 18
The firepower of this new class of weapons made such an impression on the Allies that the Treaty of Versailles specifically banned further study and manufacture of such light automatic firearms by Germany.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:50:45 am by Andres »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2015, 06:55:23 am »

A landmine will be useful once we actually capture the Jungle or the Plains. If we deploy them before, we put heavy risk on hurting our own troops.
We need to worry about not letting enemy to capture jungles not dream about turning the tide. And own mines aren't very dangerous if used not by total morons

The Moskurgians have proven multiple times that having a portable machine gun is a very advantageous thing to have. I will restate again that having a portable machine gun is very close to an SMG, a thing that if we develop we will be able to sell to the Europeans for a good price
Getting new version of machinegun is advantageous, sure.  But better machinegun is only marginally better than old machinegun while - new howitzer\landmine\autocannon\whatever is much better than no (howitzer\landmine\autocannon\whatever)
Our forces have enough machineguns. Lets spend less than a half of our actions on small arms, please.

Sure, updating the accuracy and making it direct fire would make an excellent anti-tank gun, but not an excellent anti-car gun. Cars move too quickly for our artillery to get a good shot off.
Offroad cars are not quick. Besides we need to look beyond. Our enemy will field a tank sooner or later
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 26, 2015, 07:04:00 am »

We need to worry about not letting enemy to capture jungles not dream about turning the tide. And own mines aren't very dangerous if used not by total morons
We control more Jungle than when we started the war. Even if we get pushed back a bit, we still have leeway to correct it as we did on the Plains.

Getting new version of machinegun is advantageous, sure.  But better machinegun is only marginally better than old machinegun while - new howitzer\landmine\autocannon\whatever is much better than no (howitzer\landmine\autocannon\whatever)
Our forces have enough machineguns. Lets spend less than a half of our actions on small arms, please.
No no no, you don't get it. The new version of the 1910 - the 1910 Mag - was only marginally better. A fully portable machine gun will compare to our 1910 the same as the Brumby compares to the Stallion. Switching to the Brumby allowed Moskurg to make advances in all theatres of war, so that means the MG16 will also let us make advances considering we're stalemated in two.
We really don't need a howitzer. Our Light Mortar has done an excellent job and our artillery can shoot whatever's out of range of the mortar. A full-on autocannon design isn't needed, just a revised artillery piece to make it quicker to aim and can be used in the Jungle.
A landmine is only useful for keep the enemy off a territory, and we have yet to capture any region. We're making good advances in the Plains and if we get lucky those advances will continue. We were also attacking Moskurg's mines not long ago and we need to design things that'll let us take them before we can defend them.

Offroad cars are not quick. Besides we need to look beyond. Our enemy will field a tank sooner or later
We have more than enough artillery, mortars, and tanks to be able to destroy whatever they bring to the field. Enemy tanks are a non-concern.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:18 am »

Switching to the Brumby allowed Moskurg to make advances in all theatres of war
mostly it is because they didn't have rifle-caliber machinegun before Brumbly, while we have a perfectly fine machinegun

so that means the MG16 will also let us make advances considering we're stalemated in two.
Effect will be way smaller because we have a rifle caliber machinegun already. And it is OK. Not great but it is OK
Also, you assume that enemy will bring nothing to make their forces stronger.

I can support 9mm submachinegun this turn because it us a new weapon that fits jungles, trenches, mountains and unlike LMG it will bring  noticeable change to our forces.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:48 am »

No. No way. There are many, many problems with this. First of all, we have absolutely zero experience with flight. None at all. We've developed no engine small enough or efficient enough for this, otherwise we would've put it in the tank. Our current machine guns are too heavy, we don't have any technology that allows them to be remotely fired, and the guns will have nothing to shoot at. Similarly, targeting anything with rockets - much less improvised rockets - is a bad idea with such early plane technology. Finally, Moskurg infantry bear some powerful rifles which would easily damage and destroy the aircraft.
Whered he say anything about remote operation? The aircraft is probably designed to have a crew of two. At least. A pilot and an observer/gunner.

As for engines, there are cars going about. They may be electric, but there are cars. I agree on the "Zero ex" and the rocket front, but for the enemy infantry, besides massed firing or using their machine guns, are unlikely to hit anything. See the magic BB.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2015, 07:43:35 am »

Switching to the Brumby allowed Moskurg to make advances in all theatres of war
mostly it is because they didn't have rifle-caliber machinegun before Brumbly, while we have a perfectly fine machinegun
The Brumbly was as effective as it was because it was portable. The .30 calibre bullets was only there to help with its portability. Right now, they have a portable 7.76mm machine gun and we have a static 7.76 machine gun. The Brumbly is out-classing our 1910 Mag because giving the 1910 mag-operation only made it slightly more portable.

Effect will be way smaller because we have a rifle caliber machinegun already. And it is OK. Not great but it is OK
Also, you assume that enemy will bring nothing to make their forces stronger.
Calibre isn't the issue here - portability is. Despite being the same calibre, both the 1910 and the 1910 Mag are significantly less portable than the Brumbly.

I can support 9mm submachinegun this turn because it us a new weapon that fits jungles, trenches, mountains and unlike LMG it will bring  noticeable change to our forces.
Ok, be sure to bold that so Sensei knows that you do.

Cast a vote to designing an SMG if there aren't enough votes for an LMG.
Spoiler: AS-MC16 (click to show/hide)

Whered he say anything about remote operation? The aircraft is probably designed to have a crew of two. At least. A pilot and an observer/gunner.
Well he mentioned two machine guns being in use and I just assumed they'd have to be remote-operated. I was wrong.

As for engines, there are cars going about. They may be electric, but there are cars. I agree on the "Zero ex" and the rocket front, but for the enemy infantry, besides massed firing or using their machine guns, are unlikely to hit anything. See the magic BB.
Fielding planes to deal with cars is not a good idea. The cars are deadliest in the jungle where our planes will be inoperable, whatever designs we make won't be good on the first go, cars are very difficult to hit from planes (I'm not sure on this, tbh), and we won't be able to field enough planes to deal with all the cars they have.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 26, 2015, 07:57:48 am »

No, WE have cars. Atleast our civvies do. And unless something really weird is ongoing, they dont use steam engines or go about like the flintstones.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 26, 2015, 08:00:23 am »

No, WE have cars. Atleast our civvies do. And unless something really weird is ongoing, they dont use steam engines or go about like the flintstones.
Only some of our civilians do. Due to us having 1 Oil, all vehicles bigger than motorbikes are Expensive.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 26, 2015, 08:06:54 am »

Point being, they probably have engines. Honestly, I dunno why you started talking about going after cars with planes.

As for going after cars with aircraft, you can go after them, its just a tad iffy sometimes. Also, where are you getting this "Cant field enough planes to deal with their numbers of cars" from. Depending on their tactics it all depends.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 217