Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159230 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1915 Design
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2015, 07:25:14 pm »

yeah, I'm maintaining we don't need to go with a design for a new machine gun, just lighten the perfectly servicable one we have to the point it's more man portable.
We're swapping out the belt feed mechanism for a magazine mechanism, which should make it cheaper and lighter. With its lightness, we could easily swap out the double-handles for a single pistol grip. Ok, I'm convinced that it can be done in a revision, considering we have the tech for both the cartridge size we'll be using as well as the mag.

If we can create this portable, mass-produce machine gun and design the subsequent sub-machine gun, we might be able to sell some pieces to the Europeans, bringing much wealth and glory to Arstotzka. We could get back our vacation days and maybe get more funding for our weapons design program.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2015, 07:29:33 pm »

As I said before, I prefer to focus on our strengths. We already have noticeably better artillery technologies than our enemy, lets outclass them in this field and let our firearms to lag behind slightly. Even if this project will be a failure it will give us some useful experience to design better artillery next turn(s)

We can spend revisions to not be far behind but lets remember that 20th century wars aren't won by firearms.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2015, 07:30:48 pm »

Our glorious artillery is better than the enemy's
but the small arms are better than ours, let change the rules.

Basic Steam tank

Glory to Arstotzka.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2015, 07:41:16 pm »

As I said before, I prefer to focus on our strengths. We already have noticeably better artillery technologies than our enemy, lets outclass them in this field and let our firearms to lag behind slightly. Even if this project will be a failure it will give us some useful experience to design better artillery next turn(s)
What!? You're saying that if developing artillery proves to be a pointless endeavour, we should develop artillery even more!? That is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing!

Our glorious artillery is better than the enemy's
but the small arms are better than ours, let change the rules.

Basic Steam tank

Glory to Arstotzka.
I hadn't thought of powering a tank with steam before. This could definitely work and I'll support it, but only if it's renamed the AS-T15 or something similar. We should not adopt the inferior naming system of the Moskurvites.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2015, 07:45:30 pm »

What!? You're saying that if developing artillery proves to be a pointless endeavour, we should develop artillery even more!? That is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing!
Developing artillery never proved pointless though. The mortar won us the mountains, and the enemy artillery cost us the plains untill we matched. With their guns, we have been able to afford much more slack.

The tank could work. Interestingly, that thing will probably make it's own roads. Going to be slow and easily targetted by enemy artillery though, and of limited use in the Jungle. (I'm afraid it will sink.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:57:26 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2015, 07:49:52 pm »

Hm... a crazy steampunkish tank. I want it... but  I prefer a more practical howitzer.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2015, 07:56:34 pm »

Hm... a crazy steampunkish tank. I want it... but  I prefer a more practical howitzer.
but we all ready out gun the dirty Moskurg scum in artillery, a tank will open up a new avenue of weaponry.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2015, 07:58:52 pm »

Yes, I agree, this tank may give us the edge we need.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2015, 08:01:19 pm »

but we all ready out gun the dirty Moskurg scum in artillery, a tank will open up a new avenue of weaponry.

Yeah, but not that tank, that tank is just ridiculous. Our oil means any vehicle over the size of a motorcycle is automatically Expensive, and it sounds like it's large enough that even with our large ore bonus it has a good chance to be doubly Expensive. Cool id4ea, just not practical given our resources
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2015, 08:05:30 pm »

It's steam powered, we can use coal.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2015, 08:10:36 pm »

The tank could work. Interestingly, that thing will probably make it's own roads. Going to be slow and easily targetted by enemy artillery though, and of limited use in the Jungle. (I'm afraid it will sink.)
The tank is equipped with our own artillery. Since the artillery is actually mounting on a higher point (the top of the tank), it should be able to slightly out-range the enemy's artillery.

It's steam powered, we can use coal.
Exactly.

I still say we should keep to our naming system. The mechanical design is fine but the name should be the same as our others.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2015, 08:11:45 pm »

How about  this?

AS-T15
The first of Arstotzka's glorious fighting engines.

An armoured shell made from the finest Arstotzkan steel. It has 55mm forward armor, 40mm side, 25mm rear and top, 10mm bottom

Fitted with 6 dreadnought wheels, the rear pair are driven by the the mighty AS-51 Superheated steam engine.
Armed with a single forward facing AS-1912 Artillery gun(capable of traversing 15 degrees) and a pair of AS-1910 Machine Guns in side turrets.

Traversable turret for 80mm gun is very complex stuff and while we only need to fire forward because we will move to assault enemy trenches. On other hand, machineguns need to fire in all directions because enemy infantry can get behind it

I expect it to be a relative failure but give us useful insights for future armor and it may allow us to get a decisive victory in plains

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2015, 08:19:18 pm »

Wait, its wheeled? Thats not the best...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »

Actually yeah, it should use tracks instead of wheels.

The AS-T15 should use tracks instead of wheels.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: Also, the only danger that could come to the tank is artillery fire. They have no mortars and grenades, after all. Less armour should be put on the front and more on the top.

EDIT2: Their biggest caliber gun is .60 cal or 15.2mm. Any armour that's 20mm or more should be able to stop it pretty easily so let's give the bottom armour 20mm of protection. We can take 5mm off from the rear, 10mm off the sides, and 10mm off the front and redistribute them to the top and bottom.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:31:26 pm by Andres »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2015, 08:35:00 pm »

So, lets say... 60mm front, 40mm side, 30mm top and rear, 20mm bottom?

And armed with a 80mm cannon, and a pair of machine guns... I think we probably need another machine gun in the frontarc, since thats a giant blind spot for killing infantry... That or top mounted. Pintile mount perhaps?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 217