Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley  (Read 50431 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 21: Uncanny Valley
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2015, 05:36:27 pm »

"I don't think I can stare at them all on my own without blinking, you know."
"I mean stay here, checking with thermals inside the building for any rouge Frozen while me and [Corsair] Keep a watch on pancaek and his friends."
"I have thermals?"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2015, 06:15:47 pm »

((No, you do not. The only thing you guys have that might let you detect heat signatures like CamEyes can is the camera Konrad is carrying. Cartographer provides no such function, and thus Mad Hatter does not, either. The sensors built into your suits are only good for determining atmospheric temperature.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2015, 10:08:11 pm »

Ulrich Leland

"Crap. This..." He breathes sharply in. ...isn't the place where I should be right now.

Lose line of sight to the floating people briefly, like for a half second or so. If they have not fallen at all then enact plan space psychic. If the frozen people have fallen then repeatedly lose LOS temporarily until they have fallen low enough to permit safe flyover.

Plan space psychic:
  Pop exo battlestim. Turn my Pimping Bracelet into a plate and use it push down closest floating frozen people within range. Pimp Cane to rescue!

You blink. The people are gone. Not just partially fallen, or standing down on the ground down there. Gone. Nowhere to be seen. The way is clear now, for the moment.

"Okay, let's get going, let's stick together in a train formation, I'll be at the back watching for any of those bloody frozen coming after us, you[Dorisdwarf] can bring up the front, keep your machete ready but try not to start swinging it for no reason, and you two [Corsair & Doomblade] stay in the middle, keeping your thermals on a keeping track of any errant frozen.
If we encounter a door, Me and [Dorisdwarf] will stay on the outside, keeping track of enemies, [Corsair] will go in, keeping your shield up, make sure it's clear and move on in, clear that room with [Doomblade] while we stay just outside, watching for enemies, then we move on, everyone clear on that?"

Thermals, thermals thermals thermals, have the people outside and by extension Pancaek moved much?
((Future note, when. I put someone's username in square brackets like that, Lucricia is normally saying something like 'You' 'Him/Her' 'He/she' because she doesn't know the person's name.))

You look through the barricade. There are a few people still there but...the crowd has thinned a great deal.

Hasala, what's the status? Can you reach us now?

:I'm out of Building 8 and on my way. As a note, barricaded doors seem to be enough to keep the puppets at bay. I moved through four rooms to escape, and they didn't come up behind me.:

Fly away! Head towards Building 21 to meet up with my team, but just hover overhead for now. I wouldn't be able to use the same entrance they did, because of puppets, right?

Move to directly over the spot Maurice marked as the centre of the dome, then look down through the building with the various CamEye modes. Anything of note? Also take a look at the path between the centre and where my team current is, for thermal signatures. Mark them on the map and keep an eye on them so they don't move, if so.

You fly on over toward the other group. There are a hell of a lot of those people around here, all gathering in on Maurice and his friends. You get over to the spot that Maurice entered through and see something...unsettling. The frozen people are forming piles, climbing atop each other to get up to the second story that the team is exploring. They're not there yet, but they're dangerously close. Anyone who walked back to the edge of the hole they blew open would end up walking straight into the "no go" zone.

Konrad, we still need those camera and sensors. They are inanimate, so a fly-by pick-up in no-man's zone could be arranged if you would remain there with Pancaek and others.[/i][/font][/size][/color]
"There isn't any no-man's-zone Sir, we are very close to the building and can't enter lest we loose sight of Captain Pancaek. Leaving or entering via flight is dicey a wrong move and we get caught in the freeze-field, Staying here is easy someone getting here is more of a problem. Lucricia, with me we will alternate forward watch, rest of you watch thermals for any funny business elsewhere"
Watch forward arc of statues alternating blinks with Lucricia, others ordered to watch thermals for other statues moving from another angle or inside the building.
You keep an eye on them now, but many of them have already moved off.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2015, 10:34:45 pm »

:Uh, Dr. Sanctor? You might want to move away from the gaping hole in the building you created to enter. The puppets were building a human tower to get up to you, and they're close enough now that I can't enter the building through the hole without entering the safety range. I'll try to keep an eye on them for now, but it looks like every puppet in the anomaly was converging on this building.:

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:23 pm »

Ulrich Leland. Team I. B21, second floor.
"They are gone. Completely gone. This is unsettling. But now we can proceed."

Eyes on thermals and panorama camera, partically focusing on front and sides. Move towards marked center of the dome in front of the group.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:01:07 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 01, 2015, 01:16:57 am »

((Damn, I was sure I was told by someone.
Oh, here:
((Correct.))
((Right then.))
"Just set up a watch, for the time being, just staring at them will make them about as lethal as puppies, so two of us can just stare at them, saying when we're gonna blink while the other guy or gal tunnels through this bloody barricade.
Or I wire it up with explosives, either or.
Anyone have heat vision so they can see inside of this place?"

"We can watch together, everyone else can dig, no explosives, also we have heat sensors in our suits."

That I can see; I want to know your current plan of action and whether you believe you can deal with the situation by yourselves.
"We will tunnel into the building then find open ground or a denfensible position until then we just need to hold them off."
))
"*Sigh*, dunno why I thought that, alright [DorsiDwarf], you go with [Doomblade], get to the roof and be careful, keep your eyes peeled at all times.
Anyway, yo, boss, seems the crowd has thinned a bit now, we're still keeping watch but uhhh... Look out for a big influx of frozen."

Keep in position, alternating blinks with Corsair, is Pancaek still in the group?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:03:06 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 01, 2015, 03:50:24 am »

((Since the camera probably can record in thermal, I don't think Mad Hatter is lacking that functionality - although, indeed, common cameras don't offer thermal view.))

Excellent, we are drawing their attention. It means that we're close to ... something they want to protect, apparently. Hasala, carry on with the surveillance, see if there is a suitable point of entry along the way.

Team I, advance in order. Morul, take rear watch; Ulrich, the front and sides. Use thermal vision to confirm their positions.

Advance towards the center of anomaly. Be cautious about shortest way out of the building (through the walls, if needed) at any given time. Look out for more "people".

And can we have a map again, please?

Team II, from what I can see, you could advance upwards through the ceiling with a few cuts of Han's monomachete. From the roof you could establish an alternative observation point, and then extract the initial observers from below - as one of the ways you could do that. And by "no-man's land" I was meaning the no-go zone; if there is no other way, camera and equipment could be moved into the open area, from where they would be picked up from above - keeping the safe altitude, of course.

Quote from: Maurice -> Hasala
Oh, and one more thing... While you are at it, I want you to strafe that pile of people with your laser. Remember that they don't "die" even with heads lacking, but probably can be inconvenienced by dismemberment and/or lack of limbs. If doing it while observing them doesn't work, consider closing eyes or using a Mad Hatter snapshot instead of video feed. The "foundation" of the pile has nowhere to go, anyway.
Spare them not; this an order. I take full responsibility.
It's not like that "War Crimes Tribunal" Steve always talks about would spare me anyway. ...And not that I'm going to go before it either way.

This is simply too good an opportunity to pass and too big a threat to overlook because they might still be alive on the inside.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2015, 04:03:02 am »

"Could these people be high grade illusions? Enough to fool organic and mechanic detection? Could explain why Pancaek couldn't move them, why they can float and why they don't leave tracks on snow."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2015, 04:08:16 am »

That is possible, but then I wonder how they would freeze people in close vicinity if they were mere phantoms. No, I think there is some substance to them... even if very strange and very unlike what they appear to be both to organic and mechanic detection.

We'll see soon, I guess.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 01, 2015, 04:17:59 am »

"My particular problem is that the ones on this floor appeared out of nowhere, even when scans stated that building was empty. And when I blinked, they completely disappeared as suddenly.

Distraction. Delay. Something doesn't want us here. Which means we are nearing our target. Let's move!"
Old sigs.
Games.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 01, 2015, 05:57:30 am »

"HAN! you heard our glorious leader, hack us a path upward through the debris. Lucricia with me, watch the statues. Also I need someone to watch thermal find out where those statues went"

Quote from: @GloriousLeader
Cameras can be picked up soon the statues are moving away
Commands, watch statues attempt to track their movements with a parallel thermal feed. Is Captain Pancaek still with the statues or has he dissapeared?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 03:21:27 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 01, 2015, 06:06:55 am »

"HAN! you heard our glorious leader, hack us a path upward through the debris. Lucricia with me, watch the statues. Also I need someone to watch thermal find out where those statues went"

Quote from: @GloriousLeader
Cameras can be picked up soon the statues are moving away
Commands, watch statues attempt to track their movements with a parallel thermal feed
"... I literally just said that, do you have everyone else on mute or something.
I mean, I'm right here, next to you, watching them In parallel with you, I wouldn't be surprised if you can hear me through the suit.
Also I'm blinking my eyes are watering."

Oh right, PW, if you missed it, I'm chucking Doomblade's character my Aster-Ex, he's the Uncon focused one, right?
also keep watching.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 01, 2015, 11:41:28 am »

Excellent, we are drawing their attention. It means that we're close to ... something they want to protect, apparently. Hasala, carry on with the surveillance, see if there is a suitable point of entry along the way.

Oh, and one more thing... While you are at it, I want you to strafe that pile of people with your laser. Remember that they don't "die" even with heads lacking, but probably can be inconvenienced by dismemberment and/or lack of limbs. If doing it while observing them doesn't work, consider closing eyes or using a Mad Hatter snapshot instead of video feed. The "foundation" of the pile has nowhere to go, anyway.
Spare them not; this an order. I take full responsibility.

Quote from: Hasala Nabin To: Maurice Sanctor
Is that really necessary? They won't be going anywhere as long as I continue watching them.

Continue hovering in place. Maybe fly a little higher, if I can't keep the entire building in view at once. Keep an eye on the ground, so none of the puppets outside can enter the building, especially the puppet tower. Use thermal vision, I might be able to lock down some of the puppets inside the building, too.

"*Sigh*, dunno why I thought that, alright [DorsiDwarf], you go with [Swordsmith], get to the roof and be careful, keep your eyes peeled at all times."

((I'm on Team I, flying above another building. My character also has a higher rank than yours. :P))

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2015, 01:13:44 pm »

"Yes, messer-doctor."
Go with Team I. Keep in the middle.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »

Yes. I might need your eyes elsewhere, and so far it appears that even momentary decrease in observation leads to them moving out of sight. And their high concentration means that if this works - of which I doubt - this single action might hamper them enough. We need to know if it would work at all, if anything.
I would not order to cut someone up out of simple scientific curiosity. But in this particular case it might give us the tactical advantage we sorely need, ensure Team I survival if not whole mission success. This is a lawful order to take action against effectively enemy combatants as part of military operation; responsibility is all mine.
I am not 'him' yet... for better or worse.
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33