Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24764 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2015, 10:56:04 am »

...why does everyone forget the extra r in my name?!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2015, 12:36:05 pm »

Spend the offer of free labour on hunting and fixing our manor roads. I think we should have them visit us in our manor where it's better furnished than our castle, plus they won't have to walk up a hill and wait 5 minutes for the gate to be opened.

Send Eduard to buy enough food from the merchants to improve the garrison's diet. Eduard has familiarity with negotiations and could probably get us a good deal with them.

Send one of our guards to count the men at the watchtower. This is a simple enough job that we don't need anyone important to do it.

As for the servants, I say we take them all(including the blacksmith; convert an outer building to a forge if need be). Unskilled they may be, an extra pair of hands is an extra pair of hands and would be welcome. Just arrange that the servants who attend our guests the most are the ones who are trained for it.
+1. We can just have the newbies not be present when our guests arrive.
+1

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2015, 12:15:09 am »

Would we make a profit if we were to have them melted and minted?
Let me add to that; Would we make a profit, if the only crowns we would mint, are those clipped silver ones?
We need to take the "initial costs" of getting that mint into account.

Setting up the facilities and gathering the nececcary materials and labor to establish the mint may very well cost more capital than you would gain in properly minting the coins that you currently have available. It is a matter out of your depth however, you're not exactly a moneychanger, and you arn't really sure where to begin in calculating those figures, so you could be wrong.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2015, 12:20:51 am »

I meant if we sent it to some other foundry/mint so they do the stuff and keep a cut for themselves. The moneychanger thing probably still applies, though.

Ask the barrister on the legality of us having the coins and intending to smelt them down later. Should we legally be doing something else with them such as informing the crown?

Use gold to pay for the stuff we're buying.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2015, 05:55:55 am »

3821, the third month of the year, and the first month of spring.

Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Governor of Dhum-Blud
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Councilors, Vassals, Allies and Agents.
Holdings.
You accept all of the applicants under your service. The smith you provide with one of the small unclaimed buildings in the broad area behind the palisade, and the other servants you place under your current household servants as subordinates.

Your primary concern however, is in gathering food, and on this matter you set several gears in motion. You have the newly assigned Bleakhaven Garrison gather their equipment and send them to your manor, giving them the task of sending the message to the local landholding families that you are holding them to their promise of gathering peasant labour on your behalf. They are to repair the village mainway, the local road already in the least disrepair, that cuts through town and leads to your manor. They are also to send out hunters on your behalf, to gather meat for your larder.
You send your new courtier Eduard out to contact and negotiate with the travelling merchants trading foodstuffs to the locals, arming him with the promise of gold and bulk purchases. He expresses optimism in his ability to make a fair deal with the travelling businessmen.

You also send one of your gaurdsmen out to the outer watchtower, which you are told is some five hours ride away to the west. Balpher, apparently having heard of your order seeks you out soon after. He explains that the outer watchtower is the first line of defence against raiders, protecting both the local populace and providing quick word to Bonewatch of encroaching enemy forces. He claims that the tower is manned only by the best of the soldiers Bonewatch has at it's disposal, a claim that you suppose will be tested soon.

Since you've the time you visit Aldagor in his chambers and question him on the legality of melting down clipped coins. After giving the matter a few moments of thought he decides that would likely fall under destroying forged currency, something well in the rights of a representative of the crown.

First your gaurdsmen returns with news from your watchtower, Balpher arriving to speak with you at nearly the same time. Your guard explains that the situation at the watch-tower seems quite good. There are exactly twenty men residing there, well supplied, and when he had arrived some of the men had been out hunting, though they returned shortly. The troops there seem to keep their equipment in order, and keep two horses on hand so that they may send riders if they need. A few of the men had superficial wounds from a fight with a few bandits they chased off of a nearby farmer's property, but overall the troops there seemed in good health and spirits. Your Garrison Commander seems awfully smug as the report is relayed to you, and dismisses himself afterwards, apparently having forgotten the reason he came to speak with you in the first place.

Eduard returns next having negotiated and secured the purchases you had hoped for. Their prices had apparently been driven up by the danger and isolation of the local area, but Eduard managed to use the bulk purchases as leverage so that some of the merchants would compete with eachother to ensure the sale. He secured the purchase of beans, pickled vegetables, salt, butter and wheat flour in bulk, all of decent quality. In smaller amounts, for your larder he bought wine of common quality, salt pork, and the cheaper regional spices. Soon enough the merchants arrive at your castle, unload their goods and receive their gold, gold neither cheaply bought or given. All told your supplies increase appreciably from these efforts, and though the quality of the food still isn't what you are used to the spirits of the garrison and court improve greatly from the better diet, and you note that not only have you increased your supplies, but that the grain you already have will now probably be stretched farther.
The hunting does not go nearly as well, with most of the sparse game brought to you being unfit for consumption at a nobles table. A pair of rabbits are brought to you that you deem suitable however, so you send them to be prepared for a meal with the mayor once he arrives. It is good at least that you have plenty of salted pork on hand, a noble's table lacking meat is a great sign of poverty, a thing you would gravely hate to express.

You spend about eight days in wait for your vassal. Having sent out others to tend to your affairs this leaves you a great deal of free time, during which you train with the garrison and your guards, talk amicably with Vest, and when he's around continue to instruct Eduard. Within that time nothing huge is accomplished by your efforts, though the gradual progress in your affairs is beginning to abate the despair you feel at thinking about the poor state of affairs within your "province".
By the time it's time to receive your vassal you have relocated your court, gaurds and better servants to your manor at Bleak-Haven. Whoever built the home did a relatively good job of it, and it's not quite the eyesore that Bone-Watch is. Despite that however, it's currently quite indefensible, the most prominent defence on the property being a sturdy locked door that can easily be circumvented by breaking a window. The road however, has been seen to nicely. You are told that the locals used hoes, draft animals and logs to properly flatten and shape the earth, and that it should drain well when it rains, whatever that means. There is a small bit of grumbling about the distraction from planting, but it's at least been seen to quickly.

At mid-day on the ninth day Veera arrives on horseback with four guards and a daughter. The mayor himself is tall and broad, dressed stylishly and with a duelling sword at his hip. He's riding the edge between middle and old age by the look of him, but he seems to wear the years with dignity. He speaks to you respectfully upon meeting you, giving all the appropriate honorifics, though perhaps due to his age his bow is a little less deep than one might expect. His daughter he introduces as Elara, his youngest. She manages the appropriate curtsey, though says little, appearing shy and nervous. She's perhaps a little older than you, though not by much.

How will you receive your guests? It is mid-day, hours before an appropriate dinner-time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:39:47 pm by Mlamlah »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2015, 07:19:25 am »

The maidens shall take care of the Mayors Daughter, while we offer him drink and polite discussions of the state. Have Eduard watch closely but only he is allowed to speak when asked.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2015, 06:55:20 pm »

The maidens shall take care of the Mayors Daughter, while we offer him drink and polite discussions of the state. Have Eduard watch closely but only he is allowed to speak when asked.

Ask if he would be intersted in a short duel before the feast. Simply as a way to show power and elecoquence.

"I see you have a dueling saber Lord Mayor. Would you be interested in a friendly duel with a lover of noble duel? I'll have you know tales of my adventures into the sport are not far and in between."

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2015, 07:25:32 pm »

Ask if he would be intersted in a short duel before the feast. Simply as a way to show power and elecoquence.

"I see you have a dueling saber Lord Mayor. Would you be interested in a friendly duel with a lover of noble duel? I'll have you know tales of my adventures into the sport are not far and in between."
+1 to both.

Ask about his township: its economy, the happiness of its populace, the military, the bandits, etc. Tell him that we'll be expecting taxes to be paid to us.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2015, 09:33:54 am »

+1 to both.

Ask about his township: its economy, the happiness of its populace, the military, the bandits, etc. Tell him that we'll be expecting taxes to be paid to us.
+1 Get to know Mayor Veera. If we don't have maidens, then Elara can just sit with us.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:57:07 am by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2015, 02:41:47 am »

+1 to both.

+1 Get to know Mayor Veera. If we don't have maidens, then Elara can just sit with us.
-1 to getting to know her before the feast, we should probably marry her, so we have to adjust proper politeness

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2015, 07:56:48 pm »

Yes, let's bring more shame to our family with a mayor's daughter for a wife.

Be polite and all that but let's not assume anything right off the bat.

Quick practice duel, ask for tips, reminisce about our time training, feast.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2015, 08:01:45 pm »

HELL NO.

If anything we should marry the Daugher of a duke or something so we could have a place to take haven in case of anything. We shoudn't jump at the first girl we find despite how rich she may be.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2015, 08:06:58 pm »

HELL NO.

If anything we should marry the Daugher of a duke or something so we could have a place to take haven in case of anything. We shoudn't jump at the first girl we find despite how rich she may be.

I was being sarcastic. 

Look if she is well connected here, and skilled in some administrative duty we could use her, otherwise? nah.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2015, 08:14:43 pm »

HELL NO.

I was being sarcastic. 

Look if she is well connected here, and skilled in some administrative duty we could use her, otherwise? nah.

Her father looks wealth by description which means one of two things:

1. He's redicoulsy good as a tax man and administrator.
2. He's using the chaos to his advantage and could be using bandits to get some extra taxes/goods.

We'll need more information from him and how he runs things. I'm extremely looking forward to the Knight though.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2015, 11:04:38 pm »

Oh yeah I was thinking it over.

Execute the imprisoned deserters publicly, hanging or something like that.  We need to show we can be harsh if necessary and desertion, refusal to rejoin once summoned and breaking various laws as defacto bandits needs to be punished.

We should execute or maim/indenture the killer soon, maybe with the other 3.  We can justify saving his life if we basically say it was a personal matter related to the unjust, now repealed, laws imposed by the former governor, not an attack on the crown.

If we do spare him we should give him a job at our estate or ensure he has a place to work.

Work with us?  Your gonna be cool.  Make mistakes?  Whatever don't do it again.  Fight us?  No mercy.

We should send a letter to our father, see if he can encourage some dissatisfied carpenter journeymen to move out here and set up their own shops, with us paying.  Explain we intend to create a strong timber and finished wooden goods industry.

Look into what kinds of valuable cash crops might grow here that would be rare elsewhere, if growing food is too difficult maybe we can grow something to trade for food.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22