Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24717 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2015, 06:05:59 pm »

Spent a couple hours on and off updating and overhauling the spoiler information and writing the next update. Browser crashed. Hopefully i'll be able to post it tonight. Ughhhh

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2015, 06:28:56 pm »

Copy+paste after every paragraph/section is my rule.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2015, 06:31:34 pm »

Saved a little bit of it. Ah well.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2015, 06:42:08 pm »

I remembered I lost one whole paragraph in one of my final essays for a class. It pissed me off so bad I had to take a 1-hour break.

I feel you mlamlah hope your doing well friend :)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2015, 05:25:37 am »

3821, the third month of the year, and the first month of spring.

Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Governor of Dhum-Blud
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Councilors, Vassals, Allies and Agents.
Holdings.

You summon Aldagor and have him prepare a few copies of your new decrees, and then set to writing letters. You are not particularly practised in writing official dispatches to vassals, but your penmanship is still quite well suited to capturing your own flair for the dramatic. In your letters you explain that upon taking your position you have noticed that the late Walder's laws are considered rather harsh and unpopular with the lowborn subjects, and as such you are planning to repeal or at least revise them. You do however invite each of your vassals to express any concerns they may have, or any council that they might offer on this matter. You ask Veera to send a return letter telling you when to expect him, something that should buy you a few days at least, to prepare for his coming and decide how to receive him. To Madagor you express that you are glad that the feud between the Knight and the late Lord Governor has been put to an end, a state of affairs certainly better for the realm. You invite him too to come see you when he is able, though you express regret that you are currently too busy with matters of state to travel to his hold. Seeing as you have suitable horses ready for the task you have the letters sent by rider, giving the task to two of the more competent members of your garrison.

You meet with the deserters who brought back looted horses, arms and armor to your castle. The six of them seem plain folk, gruff but respectful. They explain to you that they joined the garrison in better times, after the war but before the plague hit. They however, would be willing to once again serve a reasonable lord, one who won't prevent them from seeing to their own folk when times are harsh. Their fears seem quite allayed when you ask them to gird themselves and take up residence at your manor, to defend it and the town as it's very own garrison. You also mention that they may soon be called upon to defend the interests of both yourself and the townsfolk.
With the goodwill of these men earned, you turn to the matter of the less willing of the deserters, currently awaiting your judgement. It is explained that they are among the crop of men banished to this far-flung province, rather than locals. These three in particular, they claim, are thugs and layabouts. Their crimes however, had not been so bad as the eight who had already been put to death through lowborn justice, and the Bleak-Haven folk had had their fill of bloodshed, so they were uncertain what to do with these three. As you are now lord and administrator of these lands, they leave the decision to you, though they hope you will not add scoundrels such as these to your ranks.

You have a few matters to discuss with Desan, specifically matters of supply and taxation. Currently the castle larder is in sorry supply, with yourself and your court eating poorly. Seeing as you have guests coming, it would also prove an embarrassment if you could not at least provide sufficient meat, salt and drink. The diet of your troops also, is currently rather poor, consisting almost entirely of meals from your grain supply, and grain cut with bad seed at that. So, with your steward you discuss these things, and what your options might be. The easiest option may be to either send out members of your garrison to hunt and forage, or to recruit or hire peasants to do so for you. It is a pity you lack huntsmen, beyond whatever amateurs may be present in the garrison. The food that could be gathered this way is limited however, though perhaps managing a little rabbit or venison would certainly be helpful. You could also purchase food, either from the locals relatively cheaply, or from the merchants currently selling food to the locals, who likely have better and more various foodstuffs in stock, though more expensively sold. The local peasantry likely wouldn't mind a little coin, and might be easier to swindle, if that is the sort of thing a lord such as yourself would do, though the variety and quality of goods they might provide would likely be limited. If you bought enough food, you might even be able to improve the diet of the garrison, in addition to refilling the larder of your household.
Taxation is another option. The current convention for lords in the province is to tax twice a year, a small tax during spring, and a large tax in the fall, each after planting and harvest,respectively. The conventional wisdom is to be lenient on crop farmers during the small tax, and it's focus is generally on providing labour and trade goods. These matters all however, are dependant on the needs and wishes of the reigning lord.

You seek out Elerik and find him observing a handful of the troops sparring. You solicit his opinion on the garrison, asking specifically how they might fare in engagements with the local bandits. His opinion on the matter seems mixed. The troops lack discipline, and arn't yet good at fighting together as a group, as such in a real battle, or simply a tough scrap, he fears that they might easily break if they ever felt the jaws of the enemy closing in around them. As individuals they arn't awful fighters though, they simply lack proper training and organization, something that might be mended with time. He does however state that if they have decent leadership in the field and find favourable engagements that they should be able to handle themselves in small skirmishes. After a moments thought he does add the disclaimer that that will probably only stand as long as they are fighting humans, rather than monsters.

Briefly you meet with one of the petitioners, a blacksmith apprentice hoping to serve under you. He's been training for four years under the bleakhaven blacksmith, but has had a disagreement with him, and is seeking a new place to work and live. He's spent his days shoeing horses, smelting metal and forging farm tools mostly, but he assures you that if given a proper space to work he should be able to make repairs on simple armour and weapons, and even make a little of his own given practice, if you wish it of him.
The other six petitioners are simple peasants. Folk who know animals and fields, but who know little of castle etiquette or decent cooking, unlike your other servants. Your currently overworked servants could probably use the help, though it would mean more mouths to feed, and at least until they learn, it would also mean that half of your servants would be somewhat ill-mannered and unskilled.

You have a few decisions to make before the arrival of the Mayor, including planning on how you might receive him. You do have plenty of time to consider and plan what you wish to say to and ask of your vassal, and it's a matter worth considering.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:27:47 am by Mlamlah »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2015, 05:40:00 am »

We should start training out soldiers how to fight in formation. We'll share whatever knowledge we already have.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2015, 06:16:26 am »

We should start training out soldiers how to fight in formation. We'll share whatever knowledge we already have.
+1 to this. If we can at least get them to not suck in formations and arrange to ambush a couple bandit patrols, this should give them experience and confidence, which is sorely needed right now. A bonus would be in doing so dictating to the bandits where the can and can't send their patrols and what territory we have under our protection.

as for the rest, I say survey our troops and pick out those who have a t least a smidgeon of hunting experience and have them lead some foraging patrols(this should also help in coordinating as a group) as well as outright buying from whatever sources we can more food(no need to descend into heavy taxation just yet). This might hurt us in the short term, but if we can at least give the troops more than grain(and not embarrass ourselves in front of our guests), we should be ahead in the long run.

As for the servants, I say we take them all(including the blacksmith; convert an outer building to a forge if need be). Unskilled they may be, an extra pair of hands is an extra pair of hands and would be welcome. Just arrange that the servants who attend our guests the most are the ones who are trained for it.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2015, 07:51:23 am »

I like the new info format. Nicer to read yet provides more information.

Are the gold "Crowns" legitimate? So far there's been nothing in the writing saying they're anything but real but the quotation marks leave it ambiguous.

Keep in mind that our forte is in duelling, not soldiery.

Spend the offer of free labour on hunting and fixing our manor roads. I think we should have them visit us in our manor where it's better furnished than our castle, plus they won't have to walk up a hill and wait 5 minutes for the gate to be opened.

Send Eduard to buy enough food from the merchants to improve the garrison's diet. Eduard has familiarity with negotiations and could probably get us a good deal with them.

Send one of our guards to count the men at the watchtower. This is a simple enough job that we don't need anyone important to do it.

As for the servants, I say we take them all(including the blacksmith; convert an outer building to a forge if need be). Unskilled they may be, an extra pair of hands is an extra pair of hands and would be welcome. Just arrange that the servants who attend our guests the most are the ones who are trained for it.
+1. We can just have the newbies not be present when our guests arrive.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2015, 08:14:08 am »

Are the gold "Crowns" legitimate? So far there's been nothing in the writing saying they're anything but real but the quotation marks leave it ambiguous.

They are, yes. I can't remember why i put that in quotes, perhaps in an attempt to communicate there is more than one form of gold currency. This is as good a time as any to differentiate between the currencies.

"Crowns" are the highest form of coinage in either silver or gold, and their minting is strictly controlled by the Crown itself. Save for bars, crowns are the most valuable form of currency in the kingdom. There are however other forms of currency in circulation, including golden "marks", and silver or copper "pennies", all of which may be legally minted by lords ranked baron and higher. Foreign currencies see some small circulation among border provinces, but mostly these see reduced value. As an administrator rather than a feudal lord you are currently legally a crown representative, and can mint crowns should you have the raw materials, facilities and inclination.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2015, 08:21:32 am »

They are, yes. I can't remember why i put that in quotes, perhaps in an attempt to communicate there is more than one form of gold currency. This is as good a time as any to differentiate between the currencies.

"Crowns" are the highest form of coinage in either silver or gold, and their minting is strictly controlled by the Crown itself. Save for bars, crowns are the most valuable form of currency in the kingdom. There are however other forms of currency in circulation, including golden "marks", and silver or copper "pennies", all of which may be legally minted by lords ranked baron and higher. Foreign currencies see some small circulation among border provinces, but mostly these see reduced value. As an administrator rather than a feudal lord you are currently legally a crown representative, and can mint crowns should you have the raw materials, facilities and inclination.

Does that include reminting the clipped coins we have into actual good currency?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2015, 08:26:55 am »

Does that include reminting the clipped coins we have into actual good currency?

If you so choose yes. You currently lack the necessary facilities however. If you wish you could have them melted down into bars much more easily, though as bars they would be less valuable than coins either clipped or legitimate.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2015, 08:31:12 am »

Would we make a profit if we were to have them melted and minted?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2015, 10:12:08 am »

PTW
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2015, 10:38:28 am »

Either way though, we lack the facilities at the moment and those coins represent a good amount of money(even melted down into bars). I say we go ahead and make bars out of the clipped coins to help pay for everything we're going to need to whip this post into shape.(Hint: good hard cash makes up for a LOT of things that are lacking, like poor food and long patrols)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2015, 10:46:56 am »

Not to dispute your point, Tyrar - but wo de have a good amount of Gold Crowns. If minting the silver is a viable option, we might want to wait that one out, while spending gold instead.

Would we make a profit if we were to have them melted and minted?
Let me add to that; Would we make a profit, if the only crowns we would mint, are those clipped silver ones?
We need to take the "initial costs" of getting that mint into account.

Obviously we should make a small profit every now and then by continuing to mint those coins; But if it is too costly, I'd rather smelt them down like tyrar suggested.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22