Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24746 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2015, 11:19:13 pm »

Popping in to PTW and say that no Duke would ever give us his daughters hand in marriage.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2015, 11:41:22 pm »

Popping in to PTW and say that no Duke would ever give us his daughters hand in marriage.

He won't?  CHALLENGE HIM TO A DUEL! (this is a joke)

Also I just realized the letter to father I suggested was basically, "Hey pops, I'm gonna make chairs!  We're gonna be rich!" it so fit's the character!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:45:49 pm by VoidSlayer »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2015, 08:06:38 am »

HELL NO.

If anything we should marry the Daugher of a duke or something so we could have a place to take haven in case of anything. We shoudn't jump at the first girl we find despite how rich she may be.

Yes, let's bring more shame to our family with a mayor's daughter for a wife.

Be polite and all that but let's not assume anything right off the bat.

Quick practice duel, ask for tips, reminisce about our time training, feast.

Not all entirely true. While it's best to marry above our station, AFAIK we're essentially a Count in direct service to the king. If that's the case, the Mayor's daughter wouldn't bring a huge amount of shame, though it may not increase our position much or be very prestigious. Every once in a while, not commonly but hardly unheard of, nobles would marry outside their rank, especially kings/emperors/other stations where there just might not BE any females to marry. In which case they'd marry a duke.

That said, our dynasty might be too prestigious to marry a girl who is probably lowborn, unless she's exceptional. We should absolutely get to know her, but let's save the marriage until we know about the affairs of our neighbors and not just our vassals.

If we have the chance to marry a dukes daughter though we absolutely should do so, and then stab her family until she comes to be the sole heir to the throne.

It's just politics.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2015, 08:25:53 am »

A hostile takeover works well with me. Were all ready sort of in jail.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2015, 06:10:25 pm »

3821, the third month of the year, and the first month of spring.

Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Governor of Dhum-Blud
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Councilors, Vassals, Allies and Agents.
Holdings.

During the brief pleasantries your eyes are inexorably drawn to the blade at the Mayor's side, it's sight filling you with a familiar swell in your chest. "I see you have a dueling sword Mayor Veera. Would you be interested in a friendly duel with a lover of the noble art? I'll have you know tales of my adventures into the sport are not few and far between."

Your Vassal chuckles at that. "So i've heard. I'm tempted to take your offer, though i'm afraid i'm growing a little old for the sport..."He gives the barest moment of hesitation. "... especially with live steel, which i've heard is my Lord-Governor's preference. If my lord would permit i would like to give it some thought and preparation before making a decision on the matter. Perhaps tomorrow morning we might have at some sport, once i've rested from the ride at least."

You reluctantly let the matter lie for the moment, and welcome the Mayor's party into your home. His guards and daughter are cared for by your servants, while Veera you usher into your sitting room along with an Eduard who has been instructed primarily to observe. You suppose that both the Mayor and your courtier are lowborn, and so differing only somewhat in rank, but that all the same it is good practice in having the boy learn how to behave around his betters.
You and the Mayor spend some time sipping your wine and speaking about matters of state. You primarily question him on the state of his charge; the town of Stokeswood, of which he has plenty to say. His holdings primarily consist of the town and the lands immediately surrounding, which include farmlands very similar to your own,a little river upon which is settled Stokeswood, a small copper mine and a modest lumber operation. The town lands however, are considerably smaller than those currently within your personal grasp, and so he claims he currently has little recourse for economic expansion. As for safety he claims that the town lands are probably some of the safest in the province, with well maintained roads that he even modestly tolls. As such Stokeswood sees the most trade out of any of the other settlements underneath you. Almost all of his modest military though, is focused on the task of keeping the roads safe, something that can be a constant struggle, his forces mostly consisting of a voluntary militia. The people of Stokeswood themselves are beginning to recover from the plague that struck several years ago, something that the Mayor partially attributes to his own work of quarantining the city, and hiring skilled experts to help him see to the town affairs. You mention that you are expecting him to honor his tax obligations to you, something that he seems to graciously accept.

Subtly and with respect, your vassal begins to offer his own advice to you, and begins to fill you in on some of the recent history of Dhum-Blud. He stresses that the province is vast, very vast, and much of it entirely untamed, some of it even unmapped.It may even be wise to attempt to survey those lands currently under your direct administration. He explains that Walder once had a better hold on the province, having had seven settlements and fortresses under his personal control rather than the two you currently hold now. Even then his military and administrative abilities were stretched thin, but after returning from the war a decade ago with next to nothing of the army he had set out with he could no longer hold all of his territory. Eventually the press of the wild, Bandits and monsters forced him to abandon one hold after another to whoever and whatever threatened him there. He granted the disgraced Knight Sir Madagor a holding hoping that an experienced warrior could help him, though neither significant gains or losses have been made since then. The King granted Walder freedom from traditional taxation, which is quite a lot heftier for appointed governing officials than feudal lords, so that he might have a chance of setting the province to rights after the King's war, but he never managed. Cautiously, Veera suggests it might prove prudent to think about strengthening your position and taking back some of those holdings, though you might need help to do so.He also seems to vaguely suggest that Sir Madagor may be more trouble than he's worth. The mayor advises that you might be able to trade some of your rather extensive autonomy for military support from the crown, or perhaps gain an alliance that might strengthen you. All throughout he stresses that he is willing to help you if you require it as is his duty as your vassal.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2015, 07:10:02 pm »

Send out a survey team to map the land, check with Eduard to see if he observed something amiss

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2015, 01:06:53 am »

We might want to give away some authority. Once we bring this province up to scratch, the crown'll want to start taxing us again anyway.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2015, 03:36:55 am »

Nah, keep the low taxation, people probably don't even know we exist out here, no need to remind them of possible revenue!

I feel like with access to timber, copper and iron the towns could prosper with proper craftsmen capable of making moderately quality goods.

We should ask Sir Madagor to deliver us a token tax and have him provide a guard squad to patrol the roads between the four settlements.  Basically light touch, but confirm that he owes us fealty and make him deliver it.  We should prepare an army to take him on anyway.

Or we could execute him when he joins us for dinner?  I don't know he seems halfway competent and that seems rare in these lands.

Bring up the issue of smuggling (and other trade) with the mayor, asking how much it really contributes to the regions economy and imply that as long as it remains non-violent we can turn a blind eye for now.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2015, 10:32:35 am »

Nah, keep the low taxation, people probably don't even know we exist out here, no need to remind them of possible revenue!

I feel like with access to timber, copper and iron the towns could prosper with proper craftsmen capable of making moderately quality goods.

We should ask Sir Madagor to deliver us a token tax and have him provide a guard squad to patrol the roads between the four settlements.  Basically light touch, but confirm that he owes us fealty and make him deliver it.  We should prepare an army to take him on anyway.

Or we could execute him when he joins us for dinner?  I don't know he seems halfway competent and that seems rare in these lands.

Bring up the issue of smuggling (and other trade) with the mayor, asking how much it really contributes to the regions economy and imply that as long as it remains non-violent we can turn a blind eye for now.
-1 we should be against banditry completely.
Instead of trying to force him to send a patrol try to get it out diplomatically, speaking about how safer roads would bring back prosperity.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2015, 05:43:16 pm »

-1 to getting ourselves into smuggling.

He already has his troops patrolling the roads to his city. He can't spare any more troops. If we want to make our own roads safer, we'll need Madagor on our side, the crown's support, or we'll need to beef up our own military. Veera's taxes should help in that regard.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2015, 06:02:27 pm »

Send out a survey team to map the land, check with Eduard to see if he observed something amiss

On top of the survey express that we have a deep interest in creating security in the region and will look into all possibilities to do so as quickly as possible. We should figure out where these settlements are (who's go the map?) and what bandit factions are at work here. Personally taking their leaders and making examples of them in front of our people, armed forces, and vassals will help us greatly in solidifying our role as Governor militant of the crown and protector of order.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2015, 10:25:55 pm »

Is there anything more you wish to discuss with/ask the mayor? Any requests you might have of him?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2015, 10:38:04 pm »

Not really. We've pretty much covered everything, I think.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2015, 11:43:52 pm »

...So, we're missing control of large parts of our de jure territory, lost to bandits and no doubt at some point a dragon, because why not. That saves us fabricating claims on nearby barons on our meteoric rise to a bleak empire of necromancers and walking dead.

I can't think of anything to ask the mayo right now, but spending some time with him and his daughter, and getting to know them both, sounds like a good idea. Let's see if we can't make a friend, and maybe get eduard laid.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2015, 01:02:33 am »

Ask him about anything that can be done in the short term to improve the local economy, trade partners deeper in the empire, more skilled craftsmen, currently unexploited or under exploited resources. 

Quiz him on local trade and other topics as best we can to see if he is actually competent without asking so outright.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22